Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minute of Your Time

Default Re: Minute of Your Time

Wow thank you all for your responses, some great ideas and food for thought here I really appreciate it. Obviously what I'm getting is quality over price and that people want a established brand if they are going to buy online, all makes lots of sense. With that said, would everyone feel that their rods were more secure with suction cups or with magnets. I am leaning towards magnets, they can work in the cold, and are very strong.

Thanks again for all of your responses, they are helping tons.

Joe
    "Don't burn the day away" - Dave Matthews Band

okuma Guest

I'm with Diver on this one. Even if you made the rack look sexy. Rods inside only here!!!

Also, for those that have said they will only keep their rod inside their car, would something like a rod tube appeal more to you, or are you just unsure of the whole idea of carrying your expensive rods outside your car no matter if its enclosed or not.

Appreciate all of the answers

Joe

Blog Entries

The rack I own uses magnets and has never failed. While I understand the trepidations expressed by some about the use of such gizmo's they have their place and time. When you fish a river with a road paralleling it they are priceless. I inferred safety as being an ambiguous factor due to the need to exercise common sense when you have one or more fly rods riding on your hood. When you utilize a carrier you don't venture onto Interstate highways and you definitely don't use trails. When traveling a dirt road like the one I pictured, if a vehicle comes in the opposite direction I pull over in case there is an errant stone sent aloft by the tires of the other driver.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes wt bash liked this post

Joe,

I'm in the group that probably wouldn't buy or use an exterior rack regardless of cost or quality.

Just curious, do you have a product improvement in mind? Also, do you know the current demand for exterior fly rod racks? I'm guessing the demand will remain low regardless of cost or quality.

This is an interesting excercise.

I too would feel uncomfortable leaving my rods outside exposed to dust or a careless moment on my part. Would like to see a better case for keeping my 4 piece rods broke in half, lined and ready for use. Haven't found one yet to suit my needs.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

1. I've looked at these but two things have kept me from getting them. The fear that they will go flying off at some point and the fact that a thief can make off with them or my rods/reels if I go inside a restaurant to eat.

2. I've seen a case that goes on a set of car racks, locks to the rack and locks shut...best price I've seen on that is $400. I think $200 is a better price. For the one's you're talking about I think $100 is fine. Cheaper than that and I really don't trust em.

3. Safety.

4. Doesn't matter. I'd find it.

Anyone who sells a rack that sticks to your car by magnets or suction is going a huge fear factor to overcome in customers. Better have lots of testimonials and videos of tests to prove they won't come off.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Joe,

I'm in the group that probably wouldn't buy or use an exterior rack regardless of cost or quality.

Just curious, do you have a product improvement in mind? Also, do you know the current demand for exterior fly rod racks? I'm guessing the demand will remain low regardless of cost or quality.

This is an interesting excercise.
    A niche market for sure, but I am hypothesizing that by dropping the price, the market may become a little bigger, Interesting exercise for sure, but as an entrepreneurship major, a valuable one.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and for giving me some food for thought and ideas.

This is absolutely more of a convenience, niche than a necessary item, which is why I feel as if making it less expensive would open up more people to be able to purchase one if they felt it would save them some time.

Thanks again,

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12