Dressing Lines and Lubricants

double d

Reaction score
Hello All:

Okay, newbie question here, but how often (or never) does one apply line lubrication? Also, do you recommand a certain company? Furthermore, what are your thoughts/ideas on such products as Glide Line Dressing? Or Agent X line dressing? I'm just not sure what, if any products I should buy for my reels and line/tippets. Thanks in advance, Double D.;)

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I do it pretty often. It makes a serious difference.

I run the line through a wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off of it. I have had days where after one trip it took a lot of passes to get it all off. Then I apply a line dressing up the line, then back down. Let it dry in my stripping basket and then rell it back on.

Most of the time I use STP Son of a Gun. It works great. Scientific Anglers makes a good one and usually comes with a mildly abrasive pad. I used it most of the time before I discovered Son of a Gun (El Slicko). I got a bottle of Glide line dressing. It's probably the slickest and longest lasting of the three. For best results though, you need to wait for it to dry a while (several hours is best) and then buff it. While it may be the best of the three, it is also the least convenient.

On a side note, don't use other automotive products like Armor All, because they can wreck the outer coating and destroy your line. I have lines I have used nothing but STP on for years and are good as new.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Still using Mucilin paste from the red can here = old school and I use a dab of marine grease (same stuff I grease the impeller on the boat motor with) on the arbor and cogs of any reels that need lube. I have a couple reels that I use good old 3 in 1 oil on also.

L

Liphookedau

I've used Mucilin,Glide& a couple of others,however I find The best way is to clean The Line First,if possible.
Use two Buckets of Warm Water,one with a little Washing up Liquid.
Soak ithe Line in The Soap Solution then transfer it through a Dry Lint Cloth into Warm Clean Water,then back through another Piece of Dry Cloth to Dry The Line,onto an Old Towel.
Then you can treat your line as it's nice & Clean.
It's very suprising how much junk comes off Lines,then they definately Shoot better.
Thanks Rip I will have to Try The Brand you use as well.
Brian.

sandfly

Reaction score
be very careful of the new lines as you can take the Finnish and lube off, follow the manufacturers recommendation on the new lines. seen it done where a guy cleaned a line with mild soap and used a automotive type spray on it and ruined it.