C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Some how, no matter how I think I am paying attention, I invariably wade too deep and get my vest pockets wet. More times than I can recount I have spent non-hatch afternoon down-time laying my fly boxes out in the sun to evaporate river water. Along came C&F fly boxes from Japan. Featuring a water-proof gasket and a fail-proof clasp, they are expensive. They also introduced high density slit foam to hold flies securely and visibly in neat rows. Even shaken, flies rarely fall out on their own. Yes, fine lower-cost variations on this theme have appeared from SA and other imitators and they too are very good and I use both, but the original is still the best quality. They have protected my valuable flies in both sweet and salt water and I think they are worth it. What do you think?

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
S&S I spend most of my non-hatch time nymphing and streamer fishing :D

I love the C&F boxes and use them religiously. They're excellent and worth every penny. I've been using the first one I bought for years and it's still going strong. The foam is still in good shape, the seal is still solid, clasps are great, no rusting on any hinges from fishing in rain or dropping boxes in water (than never happens).

I think they're great.

Cheers,
Mike.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I've got 2 of the large system water proof boxes and probably 12 inserts of varying slotted foam designs...the system alone makes it worth it for me.

Oddly enough I've decided to use those 2 strictly for bass and am buying 6-7 wheatley boxes for trout. Wheatleys aren't submersible but I've dropped them in and they float long enough to grab em.

Back to the CF boxes. Again, I'm not knocking them completely. I DO find them a little heavy and bulky.

williamhj

Reaction score
I should probably drop some money and get one. I've picked-up some of the knock-offs that claim to be water proof. Well dropped one and watched it go straight to the bottom then quickly downstream into some rapids. I figured my life (or at least my limbs) were more valuable than the flies in that box so just let it go. An expensive way to save money.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'm going to have to say no again. I got the almost identical box, in fact I bought about half a dozen of them. They are water proof with the same white gasket. Same latch. Same foam inserts with the same pattern. Got them from a tackle shop up here. They were selling them for keeping ice fishing jigs organized. I even bought one for Bill because he goes deeper than pocket depth pretty often as well. I figured for the $3.99 I paid for them it was a good idea.

I could have loaded one with little nymphs, open on a vest like that and called a C&F and I'll bet nobody would have thought it wasn't.

The difference in price I am willing to bet, is because you will never get an Ice fisherman to drop giant amounts of cash on a box, and there are fly fishermen who will. That's why they don't sell Abel clippers to ice fishermen.
knock-offs that claim to be water proof. Well dropped one and watched it go straight to the bottom then quickly downstream into some rapids.
Water proof and floats are two different things. It is weight vs. displacement. Bet you $5 if you drop the C&F box it goes straight down and through the rapids to meet up with your other box, both full of dry flies.

You do realize that it could not have leaked fast enough to go straight to the bottom? Even a submarine can't go straight to the bottom and they are designed to sink. If it had a weight vs. displacement that allowed it to float, and it leaked, it would have floated way down stream eventually going to the bottom. Waterproof and floats are two different things. I have a box that floats and isn't waterproof. You can have a water proof box that goes straight to the bottom.

Back to the CF boxes. Again, I'm not knocking them completely. I DO find them a little heavy and bulky.
Like I said, waterproof and floats, two different things.

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Reaction score
I have both C&F and the so called knock offs, which I was reliably informed by the supplier, whose name I won't reveal, came from the same factory.
I have studied both in detail, and apart from the logo missing, I can't see any difference whatsoever.
I put one of the £5 ones in the bath weighted down with a brick to keep it submerged overnight, next day it was as dry as a bone.
Metal pin hinges, very strong, I stood on one, it held my weight no problem.
C&F were leaders in their day, but I wouldn't pay the fancy prices they demand these days, far too many better boxes out there now for a quarter of the price, IMO of course.
S.

bear 007

Reaction score
I don't mean to hyjack this thread, just wondering if anyone has tried GreenCaddis Waterproof Fly Boxes. The price looks right, Madison River also has C&F box's on sale.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have both C&F and the so called knock offs, which I was reliably informed by the supplier, whose name I won't reveal, came from the same factory.
I have studied both in detail, and apart from the logo missing, I can't see any difference whatsoever.
That's probably what I have. As I said, you can't see a bit of difference in mine and the C&F ones. The same latch, shape, size, white gasket, foam and pattern. All exactly like the one in the first photo in the thread. In fact as I said, I could duplicate the photo and you could never tell which one was which.

What did you pay for that C&F in the first photo?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Dan, I bought the depicted one from Renee Harrop when he first brought them over from Japan some years ago. It was a novelty item at the time and I had to have it though I am sure I paid multiples of the $9.50 Allen Fly Fishing charges for the so similar appearing box currently. I was recently given a private logo box that looks all but identical to the SA clear, two-sided box as well. If the knock-offs are as good as the originals or even, as MrTrout suggested, the original without the brand name, I don't mind saving the bread. Point remains, the imaginative inception of the idea and its execution are first rate and an advantage to anglers keeping their precious flies dry until we chose to get um wet. I applaud innovation and am leery of knock-offs especially if they emanate from a particular, large, overseas, manufacturing nation. The value of these boxes, I have them for my bonefish and permit flies too, has exceeded over time whatever it was I originally paid for them. I will add that the many Wheatly rip-offs I've examined are a far cry from the real thing...but that is another category.

Mrtrout

Reaction score
Dan, I bought the depicted one from Renee Harrop when he first brought them over from Japan some years ago. It was a novelty item at the time and I had to have it though I am sure I paid multiples of the $9.50 Allen Fly Fishing charges for the so similar appearing box currently. I was recently given a private logo box all but identical to the SA clear, two-sided box that looks all but identical to the origianl too. If the knock-offs are as good as the originals or even, as McTrout suggested, the original without the brand name I don't mind saving the bread. Point remains, the imaginative inception of the idea and its execution are first rate and an advantage to anglers keeping their precious flies dry until we chose to get um wet. I applaud innovation. I will add that the many Wheatly rip-offs I've examined are a far cry from the real thing...but that is another category.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say, and I agree, a great design.
BTW, it's Mrtrout, not Mctrout. :D:D

williamhj

Reaction score
Water proof and floats are two different things. It is weight vs. displacement. Bet you $5 if you drop the C&F box it goes straight down and through the rapids to meet up with your other box, both full of dry flies.

You do realize that it could not have leaked fast enough to go straight to the bottom? Even a submarine can't go straight to the bottom and they are designed to sink. If it had a weight vs. displacement that allowed it to float, and it leaked, it would have floated way down stream eventually going to the bottom. Waterproof and floats are two different things. I have a box that floats and isn't waterproof. You can have a water proof box that goes straight to the bottom.

Like I said, waterproof and floats, two different things.
You are right, I didn't speak as precisly as I might have. When I tested it initially it floated and flies stayed dry. As it was in moving water it didn't go straight to the bottom, but went down on an angle in the current taking my flies with it. I'll have to see if I can find some of the knock-offs you and others have found. I didn't (and haven't) spent money on boxes like C&F because I have a hard time believing they are worth it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have already corrected your name, accept my apology please, and I agree with the old adage. However, when an item is developed and produced in the US, UK, Japan, etc. and imitated in China...that is a creative property issue which is less complimentary. Do the imitation C&F boxes have molded on their bottom side, "Made in Japan"?

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I bought all these c&f and five inserts for $100 at sportsman warehouse when they were in bankruptcy. I bought all they had. It was about 60% off so I'm not complaining. I like the big box because I have big hands. The ridges give you a good grip on the box too. Plus they're waterproof and well made. Unfortunately that box doesn't fit anywhere on my person.

The small ones are slick and don't fit my hands well so they go flying once in a while and they're Not waterproof. I'm about ready to put some grip tape on them. They don't fit very well in pockets either.

Mrtrout

Reaction score
I have already corrected your name, accept my apology please, and I agree with the old adage. However, when an item is developed and produced in the US, UK, Japan, etc. and imitated in China...that is a creative property issue which is less complimentary. Do the imitation C&F boxes have molded on their bottom side, "Made in Japan"?
Only joking SandS, thanks.:thmbup:
No, on the ones I have, there is no place of manufacture, but I would bet the wife they are made in China, hope I'm wrong. :D
It is less complimentary, but lets face it, what isn't theses days, China, Korea, home of Hardy. ;)
It'll be interesting to see what appears in the future as patents run out.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

McTrout, lol. Is that replacing the filet o' fish sandwich?

:D:D very good, never thought of that. :cool:
S.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I bought all these c&f and five inserts for $100 at sportsman warehouse when they were in bankruptcy. I bought all they had. It was about 60% off so I'm not complaining. I like the big box because I have big hands. The ridges give you a good grip on the box too. Plus they're waterproof and well made. Unfortunately that box doesn't fit anywhere on my person.

The small ones are slick and don't fit my hands well so they go flying once in a while and they're Not waterproof. I'm about ready to put some grip tape on them. They don't fit very well in pockets either.

Steve, a friend was using one of the large grey ones in your picture.
He had spent a full winter filling it with exquisitely tied nymphs, approx 400 plus.
It slipped from his hand in cold weather, and sped away from him at an alarming rate in fast water.
He was deep wading at the time, and he had just shut the box.
It dissapeared downstream, out of sight, he never found it, broke his heart!
Now he attaches a length of backing line to one of the small holes on the box, and fastens this to his vest/jacket.
Basically bolting the door after the horse had bolted.
S.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The thing with a lot of stuff in the fishing world, there are factories that supply many brand name people with the stuff they sell. For instance, conventional reels despite the hundreds of brands out there are all made in something like half a dozen factories. Some fly reels from different brands have the same components with a change in the porting ot whatnot to appear as a different reel. Plastic manufacturers make products for a great many companies. Scrub that spendy logo off and you have the precise same box off the exact same line from the very same factory in many many products.

Just because it doesn't have the fancy name on it doesn't mean it's a knockoff. It's likely it's identical twin without the birth mark.

By the way, I have never lost one in the water, because I change flies on the beach.

jaybo41

Reaction score
This thread has great potential to turn into the twin sister of the Abel Nippers thread.

I love my C&F's especially when I can find them on sale. I've had some of them for years and those ones have long outlived the other fly boxes I bought at roughly the same time. Just like shotgun posted, the system boxes are great. Easy to flip out the foam inserts and change flies depending on where you're fishing and what hatches are on the calendar. Also fabulous if you need to replace the foam inserts which are often on sale if you look around. Are they worth it to me? Yes.

When the patents ran out on the C&F's the game changed in the fly box market and thus the no name brands or named brand knock off's. If I see one of them in the fly shop I frequent I may give it a look but I can count on them carrying C&F which is a primary reason I've got them to begin with.

Jeepster, that's one helluva purchase on your part. Really nice find!:punk:

stuie675

Reaction score
I have never spent more than 10 bucks on a box and all work just fine for me. I refuse to spend a huge amount on something that cost maybe 5 bucks to make at most.