Neoprene waders more durable??

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Last year when I first started fly fishing I bought some Orvis Clearwater waders for about 140. At the end of the season I was starting to get leaks in them. I have not got the paper work for them because I am irresponsible and lost it (dohh!).

I was thinking about replacing them for a pair of Cabelas 3mm neo's. I don't really see anybody with Neoprene waders any more. My thought is that they might be more durable. I actually don't know what I am talking about and am posting for this very reason. Are they more durable? I like to fish creeks where I have to do some bushwhacking and I think I thought my breathables were more durable than they really were. The Cabela's neo's are only 50 bucks...another reason I was considering them.

Please educate a novice.

Thanks in advance.

Dorian

P.S. I feel like I have been asking a lot of questions and not contributing anything to the forum, so I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who take the time to answer these types of posts all the time. You are very patient.

Joni

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but NO neo is not more durable. My old neoprene waders have got a lot of Aquaseal on them and they are harder to patch. Plus I sweat in them so taking them off in the winter I got DANG cold.
If your waders are that new contact Orvis...maybe raise a little stink. There modo is the Customer is always right and I have seen them take back STUPID defects. Also, if they are that new, I know I would at least try. They are suppose to have at LEAST a four year warranty on them.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I agree with joni. You'll find that cheap waders don't hold up, good ones do. I've still got an older pair of Simms guide waders I got in 2001. I'm not using them 20 times a year, but I haven't had to patch a hole yet.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dorian,

Don't worry about posting too much. The questions you are asking are being read by other new fly fishers who don't post.

I have a pair of neoprene waders that I bought in 1976. They got a lot of use in Alaska and have never leaked. There were the best made neoprene on the market when I bought them. I paid close to $300 for them. They have knee pads and have been a very good pair of waders. I have used them on the San Juan a few times. The seams are sewed and taped. They haven't been made in quite a few years.

I now use Simm's Gore Tex Guide Pants and they are so much better to use. You don't sweat, then are a lot easier to get off and on. If you want to eliminate your wader problems get a pair of Simm's Gortex waders. They are expensive but I think they are well worth it. If you have any problems with Simm's waders they will take care of you. I would keep my receipt though.:)

Frank

headhunter

Reaction score
A good question. My answer will sound like a lot of the others. From personal experience I no longer wear neo's because I found the breathables to be more comfortable and just as warm as neo's when employing the right layering techniques. That being said...you do get what you pay for in terms of waders sort of. I know a lot of folks who have had issues with Orvis waders recently. You should still try and take them back even without the paperwork. They will probably work with you on that.

I have a pair of nylon cabelas waders that are going on 10 years old. They seem to be bulletproof but on any day with temp above 70 I sweat a gallon.

The neo's that I did have were great but I found myself concerned about them when hiking through brush to get to some of the small streams I fish. That said...neos are pretty easy to patch unless it is on a seam. If you fish from the surf a lot then Neo's might be the right choice as well.

I now fish a pair of Redington breathables that I absolutely love.

Regardless...get a solid pair of stockingfoot waders and a quality wading boot. Your back will appreciate it and I am convinced if you are doing any kind of difficult wading you are at a distinct advantage.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Agree with all the post, neo has a time and place, but for most of the fishing in our region a good quality pair of 'breathables' is the ticket, I too have a pair of guide weight Simms that I've used since 98', finally developed a toe leak last Fall.

In the warmer months you may want to consider wet wading, as that cool water can feel so good at times, just remember to take the cell phone and wallet out of your pockets, I learned that the hard way. :( LOL.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Drowning Your Wallet & Cellphone

. . . just remember to take the cell phone and wallet out of your pockets, I learned that the hard way. :( LOL.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but Fyshstykr, have you ever tried any of those so-called "dry pockets" to put things like that in? Don't know if they work well enough to bother with. I just bought some Ziplock Double Zipper Freezer thickness pint-sized bags, thinking those might do the trick just as well.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
No, I havn't, not sure I've even seen them?
But now I make sure to put all the important stuff in a big ol dry bag before we launch. That cell phone was just never the same after that trip. :tongue:

A guide I had on the Columbia River used the heavy duty freezer bags, would talk on the phone right thrue the bag.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Re: Drowning Your Wallet & Cellphone.

What do you all think is the most durable 150-200 dollar breathable wader? Maybe that is what George will be buying for me this summer!

Joni

Reaction score
I am sure you will get some great answers to that, but I am looking at probably $100. more. The Orvis TAILWATER stocking foot is looking really good to me and the price is right.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Dorian,
Keep your money close for a bit, continue doing your research and keep your eyes open.
In the mean time just 'wet wade', tellin ya it's the way to go in the hot months, unless your on a pond or lake then the waders can help you play it safe.

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
You can find Orvis Pro-guides on ebay for under 200 bucks new, i love mine, have well over 50 days, no leaks, i even took a hook in the double layered stuff, hard, and it held up.

Lots of people do like the L.L. bean stuff, on every site/forum i visit people love their waders. I have never used them though.