Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  64
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Hat

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing Hat

Mostly I wear ball caps. I go with your standard basic cotton model for most days and when the weather gets warm, I go to the trucker style caps. Unless I'm fishing under a thick canopy of trees on my favorite high gradient mountain stream, I use sunscreen. My ears got torched a couple of years ago so I quickly learned to make sure I've got sun screen and a hat that covers my ears.

Patagonia bucket hat is perfect. Folds up really nice, lightweight, and dries quick. I got mine on sale.

Casey, that's a killer hat. I have the cotton one with DA logo.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

JPBFLY, That modular hat unit is...over the top. I am not going to wear it but I like it, conceptually.

I am a long time advocate of extra-long billed "Swordfisher" style fishing caps. I have numenrous variations in both cotton and SPF synthetics. They keep the sun off your face and, imprtantly too, sunglasses but not your ears and neck. I bought a new one this year that is long-billed but has a velcro removable ear/neck flap. I am going to see if I can adapt to it without having the cape portion live permanently in my vest.

This is not the one I found but here is the same idea from Simms:

Sunshield Hat - Headwear - SHOP

I am certain you can find the up-down Lefty-style hat in blank form to have your own logo embroidered.

3. Likes jpbfly liked this post

If you don't look good in a hat... why not opt to wear a bandana instead? or a buff?

I like the acu digital patrol cap with map pocket, 50/50 rip stop. I have a black, green and camo, too. They don't blow off your head in the wind and neither does the acu digital boonie hat.

Buy Headwear at Army Surplus World

I also use sunscreen.

steve

I'm like most others as I also like The Baseball Type Caps & have a Drawer Full of them even though as mentioned they are The worst Hats For Protection you can wear.
    Just about every type of Show there is always someone either seller or giving Hats away as Trade Advertising.
    In reallity The Large Brimmed,like The Cricketers wear or The Army Style Hats are far better for protection against getting Cooked as I am continually getting Skin Cancers Treated.
    I find The ones which really cover up aren't as Cool as The open ones,they are Hot become stained & grubby from Sweat.
    Brian.

Here is a Fishpond sun hat that my fsihing partner got last season. We had high water and were using the driftboat a lot so were out on the water for some long floats in the sun. He felt baked and bought this hat for the kind of sun protection we are talking about.

fishpond - FISHPOND BRIM HAT

Boonie hat from my tours in Vietnam is my favorite; but, it's time to retire it to pass it on. I already have a fantastic replacement with Gore-Tex.

9. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    Boonie hat from my tours in Vietnam is my favorite; but, it's time to retire it to pass it on. I already have a fantastic replacement with Gore-Tex.
    Yep, boonie hat. In addition to providing extra sun protection, I think they're more stealthy than a baseball hat with a brim. When you turn your baseball-hatted-head it's just another noticeable movement that can be picked up by spooky fish.

I changed to a light colored boonie style hat for fishing and kayaking...looks goofy on me, but it does the job. It doesn't really concern me if I'm not a fashionable angler.

Surprised no mentioned it already, Tilley hats, lots of styles, water resistant, great for fishing. I have one that looks like this.

http://www.tilley.com/The-T4MO-Organic-AIRFLO-Hat.aspx

I too would of passed on your baseball cap. I wear the tilley hat in summer to keep my ears from getting sunburned. Of course if you have long hair the sun might not get to you ears. If its real hot out I just dip my hat in the river and put it on my head, helps to cool things off.

13. Likes baseman1, Sep liked this post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast