Tapered Leaders - which brand has least memory?

mysticm

Reaction score
Hi,
I was curious to know what brand tapered Nylon leader people have found to have the least memory (coiling). My most recent batch of Rio leaders are terrible in this respect.

I know about the proper way of stretching etc. to straighten the coils..but is there a brand (Rio or Orvis or ???) that offers the lowest memory?

I am learning to tie my own leaders based on several online formulae using Maxima & have also tried the furled leaders.

runningfish

Reaction score
I am using the SA 9ft mono leader as backup for my home made furled leaders.
Actually I just used it last weekend when the wind started to pick up (honestly, after I got a painful kiss on the left cheek from #10 ghost streamer) and I needed to roll cast more than ever. It turn that streamer & sneaky pete way better than my mono furled leaders could in the same windy condition.
I don't own a proper leader straightener, so I dipped the entire line in the water and straighten it in the water first time and then the second time again above the water.

djamtime

Reaction score
Actually I just used it last weekend when the wind started to pick up (honestly, after I got a painful kiss on the left cheek from #10 ghost streamer) and I needed to roll cast more than ever. It turn that streamer & sneaky pete way better than my mono furled leaders could in the same windy condition.
I don't own a proper leader straightener, so I dipped the entire line in the water and straighten it in the water first time and then the second time again above the water.
If it helps, I have found that the trick to straightening mono-leaders is heat. That is all the proper leader straightener does is create friction. I am a tradesman so the skin of my hands is hard, and I opt to just use my fingers. I find this works better for me, but use caution the line will cut you! Anyhow I have found it a pain to try to straighten a wet leader due to the lack of friction.

runningfish

Reaction score
I would have done the same thing if I had the leather leader straightener.
I don't have hard skin in my fingers, so I had to wet the leader first to prevent from burning my fingers.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
What he said: :D Love Joni's furled leaders even on my 2handers. Just a short run of FC off the ring and good to go. Zero memory right out of the packet. For full on mono leaders I've found RIO's to be as good as it gets.

rusty 54

Reaction score
On stubborn leaders that don't straighten well with just my hands, I have used my leather tri-fold wallet. Since it rarely holds much money these days, might as well multi-task!

Joni

Reaction score
I would have done the same thing if I had the leather leader straightener.
I don't have hard skin in my fingers, so I had to wet the leader first to prevent from burning my fingers.
I would think, if it burns your fingers, you are burning the mono. Never trusted those leather straighteners for that reason. WHEN I used mono leaders, I use the receiver ball on my SUV and a rag. Looped the line around it and backed up putting tension.
But as Fred mentioned.....Furled leaders are my only choice for the past 6 or 7 years. Thanks Fred and all you guys that like what I can do.

fishiowa

Reaction score
Hi,
I was curious to know what brand tapered Nylon leader people have found to have the least memory (coiling). My most recent batch of Rio leaders are terrible in this respect.

I know about the proper way of stretching etc. to straighten the coils..but is there a brand (Rio or Orvis or ???) that offers the lowest memory?

I am learning to tie my own leaders based on several online formulae using Maxima & have also tried the furled leaders.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104429880;cat104123880

I tried this one last year and found it to straighten much easier than Rio or Orvis. Two or three slides through the fingers and ready to go.

Rich

Last edited:

mysticm

Reaction score
Cabela's: Maxima 7.5' Tapered Knotless Leader

I tried this one last year and found it to straighten much easier than Rio or Orvis. Two or three slides through the fingers and ready to go.

Rich

Hi Rich, Its good to hear from you. I am planning another trip up your way with my wife this late May. Will get in touch with you if we pass through your town & maybe we can hit one of the local streams.
-Shrish

fishiowa

Reaction score
Hi Rich, Its good to hear from you. I am planning another trip up your way with my wife this late May. Will get in touch with you if we pass through your town & maybe we can hit one of the local streams.
-Shrish
Shrish,
The snow MIGHT all be gone by May:). It has been a long, tough winter for fishing. Please get in touch when you know when you will be in the area. I would enjoy the opportunity to fish with you again.
Rich

caseywise

Reaction score
i, as have others on this thread, virtually eliminated leader memory awhile back when i bought a couple of joni's furled leaders:D.
such a great leader with absolutely no memory or dead/hinge spots to speak of.
now all my reels/lines that i own, have them.
no more tangles or knots, plus they last a good while.
btw, i prefer the ones with a tippet ring on the end.

casey

shimloom

Reaction score
I have started using Rio product more and like most have stated you just have to pull them straight. I don't advise using anything that will create heat. I just grab it and pull slowly and firmly. Works every time.

Craig

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Joni & WT are absolutely correct! Too much heat is not a good thing so I never use a rubber or leather leader straightener.
If I have a leader that coils I gently pull it through my fingers to create a little heat and try to gently stretch it, main concern being the tippet end of course.

As far as leaders and tippet material having the least amount of memory?.....I haven't tried this brand yet, but knowing full well the demands that technical springs creeks ask of you and your terminal tackle, and the fact that Rene Harrop will not use something that is not supple and wouldn't allow for a delicate and lifelike presentation, nor allow his trademark name to be put on it....I would think this would have very little memory. I need to restock my tippet material so I'll probably give it a try myself soon.
http://www.trouthunt.com/estore/category/2944