Sometimes I believe things are better done the old fashioned way...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Every year since I've been paying attention there's been gadgets.
98% don't last.... even the ones from Orvis
....... see the Abel nipper thread.....
:rolleyes:

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I think it would take me as much time to learn how to use this gizmo as it would to learn a new knot...

Reminds me of a lot of people who work for me...they spend more time trying to figure out how to cut corners and fixing their mistakes then they do just doing it the right way from the start

streamwalker

Reaction score
How many pages we made from talking about nippers blew my mind!! But I love to see fishing gizmos how stupid..reminds me of someone I would see on the river decked out in fishing gear that's brand hammer new and they make 40 back casts before finally throwing the fly. LOL. Anyways I think everyone should learn how to tie nots..they r simple quick and strong and u don't need anything but fingers and a little spit to do it.

jsquires

Reaction score
Agreed about sometimes things are better done the old-fashioned way. But I'd hate to be having this conversation through the U.S. Mail.

itchmesir

Reaction score
42,219 members... That would be a lot of stamps....

Imagine if the world didn't have internet but had the idea of public anonymous forum that spanned the world via mail... so much junk mail!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There is the old expression about "building a better mouse trap" but so far I've seen few that were actually better.

Gadgets are fine, but like Brookfieldangler has said, people waste way too much time, trying to save time. IMO, the K.I.S.S. method is most often the best approach to much of what we do. Knots are easy. Sometimes I need a little help with tying them, arthritis in my joints hinders the process, but don't need a machine to do it.

Technology is fine too. It's allowed us to have awesome forums like this where we can share thoughts, ideas & information, and of course gadgets we find! :rolleyes:

Any of you guys ever see one of those automatic hook setting gadgets, or spring loaded automatic hooks? They're not something fly fishers would use, more for bait anglers. Seems to me it takes all the fun out of fishing!

troutnut4

Reaction score
I think it would take me as much time to learn how to use this gizmo as it would to learn a new knot...

Reminds me of a lot of people who work for me...they spend more time trying to figure out how to cut corners and fixing their mistakes then they do just doing it the right way from the start
Agreed, been there and found it totally frustrating. Some people just don't understand that it's easier to do it right, then to do it wrong and have to do it again to correct their mistake. As for the knots, practice throughout the long winter and be ready for opening day.:punk:

mikel

Reaction score
with due respect to progress...I believe the end of the world started with the industrial revolution.

jsquires

Reaction score
I love the Abel nippers. I would guess (not ever having used it, so I'm guilty of the same offense as those who have not used Abel nippers but somehow are extremely knowledgeable about their quality and usefulness) the knot-tying device is junk and not a lifetime tool. And since I can tie all my knots, I don't need it. Since I choose not to use my teeth to cut line and I appreciate fine-quality tools, I choose to use the Abel nippers. I'm very sorry that bothers so many folks on here, to the point where they can't let it go and just say to each their (not there) own.

Grammar:
The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

jsquires

Reaction score
I'm also sorry that some here (not hear) can't take a joke. :p
Sure, about seven times. After that, it becomes what I consider bating. But I'm sure you were already aware of that when you cast it out there. But I'm sure the joke will be just as funny on the fifteenth cast.

Commas make a difference:
Let's eat, Grandpa.
Let's eat Grandpa.