Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

cw76

Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying one of these boat's; mainly for us in river's. They seem pretty burly and the customer service dept. has a good reputation from what info I've gleaned so far. The other boat's I have considered are: The Outcast Commander and the NFO Assault XX. Thanks:) CW

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
The NFO Assault series has rockers where the WM doesn't. Makes a difference on rivers. I have the Outlaw XX and Joni has the Assault. Bladderless, heat welded seams. Inflatable seating area, whereas the WM uses plywood. The NFO's are comfortable boats to fish out of. We also upgraded to the Litespeed oars. The Outcast is a copy of NFO's World Navigator and uses a bladder.
There is a motor mount accessory, we use Scotty glue on mounts for the Scotty rod holders.

schiff

Reaction score
I agree that the NFO Assault series would be something to really consider.
It took me a year and a half to look at the different choices and I narrowed it down to the Water Master, Commander and Assault. Sounds like you have the same ideas with your choices. I ended up with the Assault because of the construction and design. The slight rocker is more maneuverable than the WM which is flat when I was looking and is less of a wind catching design like the Commander. The seat is a huge plus as well as bladderless and welded seams. I use it on rivers for 90% of time and have not had a problem with durability, stability (this isn't even a factor, but always mentioned when looking for a boat) or performance.
I belong to a Kayak Fishing Club and now use the Assault on all my river trips. The guys had their doubts when they saw it, but many have tried it and love it. They call it the "Comfy Chair".
I could talk about how much I like this boat for hours.
I am no expert and these are just my opinions and observations from my experiences.
Hope you have good luck in which ever boat you decide on.

cw76

Reaction score
Thank you much for the responses:) It looks like you folk's really like you're NFO's and I will take you're opinions into consideration; It would seem I am not the only person in this dilemma, if yo can call it one. Do the NFO raft's seem burly, durable? Have you ripped any holes in yours or heard of people tearing them up? I am hard on stuff so I need something that can take some abuse[poke] Thanks again for the responses. CW

yamagibs

Reaction score
Hi Schiff
Do you have the Assault XX or The previous Assault? I am trying to decide between the two.
Thanks

New to the forum from Maine.

the_infidel

Reaction score
let me put it like this. I broke 3 oars, on 3 seperate NFO boats this past weekend. All my fault, i went to the shop, admitted fault, they said no problem, here are 3 new oars.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.

mojo

Reaction score
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
So what's the horror stories?
I've never had a problem with them.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
I've seen how religiously people defend their boats on these forums..
If your actually interested in stories of new leaky valves, incredibly slow unresponsive customer service, several attempts to get the right products in the right hands and so on I'll gladly give you a ring and we can chit chat about it.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Carl: That is interesting, I've never heard anything but good reports from NFO customer service. I'd like to hear what you have heard about horror stories.

Joni

Reaction score
Owned Scadden for almost 20 years. Never had problem with any of them. NEVER. I have owned several models and I use them a lot.
Dave was head designer for Outcast so you like that Commander, look at the Escalade from 2000.
Rockers and inflated floor/seat pretty much speaks for its self.

Why is it these problems always happen to a friend

mojo

Reaction score
I've seen how religiously people defend their boats on these forums..
If your actually interested in stories of new leaky valves, incredibly slow unresponsive customer service, several attempts to get the right products in the right hands and so on I'll gladly give you a ring and we can chit chat about it.
I'd love to hear them. Both of our Assaults have the new style valves. As does the Renegade. I did have one problem of the seat valve leaking last year on my XX, but cleaning the inside with a cotton swab cleared the problem up. Sand or something getting in the valve. Swab, and no leak. And as for customer service, the interesting thing is, I've never had a problem calling or emailing them and getting ahold of someone.
I'm game for a chat. I can PM you my # and you can tell me about your friends problems.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
Sure thing! I'll send you a PM. I didn't want to post them for any google search to see because they're not my results of my own purchases, but I was privy to most of it because I was waiting to potentially buy my own. Just figured I'd give the option to hear some other real world experiences. I also didn't want to insult/offend anyone over their choice of watercraft.

cw76

Reaction score
Carl, I would be interested to hear what you have to say as well. Can you shoot me a brief PM ? Thanks, CW

schiff

Reaction score
Hi Schiff
Do you have the Assault XX or The previous Assault? I am trying to decide between the two.
Thanks

New to the forum from Maine.
I have the Assault...not the XX.
I think I may have gotten the XX if I knew how much I would have liked it. I plan on taking my new dog on some trips and doing some overnight river trips, so the XX would give me some extra room for stuff. But, I plan to add a few D rings up front to add a platform to store camping stuff...not sure what I will make the platform out of yet. Maybe just a netting or heavy plastic.

When I was doing my searching and reading reviews of various boats of this type, I saw posts about the customer service at NFO. This almost had me worried until I noticed the same people posting over and over about the same thing...always a friend. Not saying the issue in this thread doesn't have merit, but when added up, all the posts I read were about only a couple people's experiences and not a trend or reoccurring issue with quality or customer service. I got the impression that someone had an axe to grind.
I have been in customer service all my life and know you can't please everyone and when someone tells their story, it is always how they see it and not always what really happened. I can't imagine they would still be in business if their service was less than not notch. This is too small of a niche product with reviews all over the web. I equate it to lets say St Croix had a reputation for rods breaking...they would be gone. And if some broke and they refused to to help...they would be gone. There wouldn't be a big debate about it with rumors.

Someone asked about durability...I float the Delaware, Susquehanna and Lehigh rivers. Last year they were all low and did a lot of rock and gravel bouncing, scraping and dragging. I have seen no issues at all. I was surprised at the quality of the material when I saw one first hand. I was not expecting to see how heavy duty it really was.

Lastly the seat is inflatable and not a wood plank. You can adjust it to fit your comfort as opposed to adding cushions to the wood.

These are the things that I considered when I bought mine. I can't see why you would not enjoy the WM if you got one, but when I bought my kayak and my canoe, I picked what I considered the best design for me. Same with the Kick-Boat. You may have different criteria that you want in a boat.
I say if this type of boat fits your needs, get either one of them and get out on the water, as fishing from one is just fun.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Assault...not the XX.
I think I may have gotten the XX if I knew how much I would have liked it. I plan on taking my new dog on some trips and doing some overnight river trips, so the XX would give me some extra room for stuff. But, I plan to add a few D rings up front to add a platform to store camping stuff...not sure what I will make the platform out of yet. Maybe just a netting or heavy plastic.
Schiff: Keep us posted on how you end up configuring your Assault. I have a Renegade and have a little more room, but have been thinking along the same lines of adding some D-rings and some sort of platform, but haven't done anything yet and would like to see what you do to yours. I also have a new dog and would like to start taking her on fishing trips and maybe an overnighter.

Larry

Joni

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to see the platform. I did add more rings to mine. I did this with the idea of mounting a Battery in the front. I have not tried this yet as I am now using smaller batteries, but I know it works.
They are on the front sides. Right now supports may apron perfect.

schiff

Reaction score
I will add a front platform for storing camp gear...I don't know if I can figure out something to keep the dog happy yet. I will be pulling the boat off the shelf in a few weeks and start to mess with the idea. I'll let you know if anything works out. I should have gotten the XX, but didn't have a dog to take with then.