Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Default Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

I just replaced my vest after 25 years. It's a columbia that has worked great, only it's solid material. It's hell in summer, so this year I got a Orvis mesh vest. Wow, lighter and cooler. At my age now all that counts.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

2. Likes fly_guy12955, dean_mt liked this post

I was surprised he didn't pull his side gun and some clips from it.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    I was surprised he didn't pull his side gun and some clips from it.
    The 12 gauge shotgun was in one of the pockets he could find!

I'm heading to the shop to peruse the inventory. I have a wish-list of stuff that is unfortunately thicker than my wallet at the moment. I'll be weighing my options carefully as I "want" a vest and new reel. But I need a new line...

Blog Entries

Worn out some vests Dean...and still wearing one(a G3)...I like to have all my little stuff close at handhate missing something when I need it

Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    Serious? I wouldn't need 9 fly boxes in my vest if I were Survivorman parachuting into a remote place for a 40-day stay. Surely not serious!
    yeah but he's a guide...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Have a chest pack and feel uncomfortable wearing it . Had a Woolrich vest since the 80s and became a little to attached to it. It was comfortable had big pockets just what I like but over the years got a little holy (this does not mean it went to church , the other holy). Took my grandson out last spring and my daughter commented that maybe it was time to trash the vest. Of course I said no it's a part of my personality and left it at that. Christmas rolls around and she buys me this new vest mesh really nice . In the box is a card that says enjoy your new vest and please throw the rag out! I wear my new vest and I like it a lot but the old one still hangs on my tying chair unless she comes to visit then I hide it . Some things are hard to toss !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

8. Likes Rip Tide, imxer, dean_mt liked this post

Smile Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Got away from vests about 3 years ago,went with the waterdance pack,excellent,just upgraded to the new umpqua 650 ledges pack with more room,so far very nice pack,shoulders dont get tired anymore after 6-8 hours on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Worn out some vests Dean...and still wearing one(a G3)...I like to have all my little stuff close at handhate missing something when I need it
    And you can fit a 16" deep dish pizza in the back pocket!!

I went with the new Simms vertical mesh vest. I had a gift certificate that eased the pain. First, I like the mesh body for obvious reasons - light and cool. The main pockets are ... vertical, hence the name, to avoid all that bulk around the bottom that I disliked.

I'm looking forward to filling it up and taking it fishin!

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
    Got away from vests about 3 years ago,went with the waterdance pack,excellent,just upgraded to the new umpqua 650 ledges pack with more room,so far very nice pack,shoulders dont get tired anymore after 6-8 hours on the water.
    Thanks for sharing, winston, but this is a vest thread.

11. Likes jpbfly liked this post

Thumbs down Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Really,i get rid of another member on another forum who went by 720fly and now i get deal with another one what a shame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...MEZYDRmL0#t=9s
    If any of you ever see me decked out like that, PLEASE euthanize me.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Have struggled with the vest / various option thing for forever.

They all have too many of the wrong size pockets all over the place and not enough of the right sized pockets in the right places. Packs, etc all feel cumbersome of difficult to use to me.

I want simple. I am a minimalist. Am seriously considering having one made . I want a vest with pockets the size I want, where I want them. (Actually thinking about a foul weather wading jacket too.)
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast