Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

After years of using a hip pack, then tiring of it I searched high and low, read and tried every sling and chest and fanny and whatever pack that I could. For one year I've been using a Patagonia Sling pack. It is a really nice piece of gear, very comfortable, but not what I ideally want.

After all of this...what I ideally want is to go back to the old fishing vest! But not the old-fashioned vest, I did leave it behind so many years ago for reasons. I really don't like all the small, soft pockets all over the old style vest. There are too many and they are dysfunctional. Also, the way they carry and do not distribute the weight of it's contents well at all. Fortunately these issues have been addressed since I last bought a vest (15 years ago?)

What I do want out of a vest, which all the other pack options do not provide, is easy access to multiple fly boxes. Now of course, with the explosion of chest, fanny, hip, sling, etc. packs the vest options are going by the wayside. The best I've found so far is the Simms Vertical style. I like that the boxes are high and well, vertical, rather than in the traditional low and horizontal position. I sure wish Patagonia still made the Riverwalker.

Who else has eschewed the trend of packs and gone back to (or never left) the use of the good 'ole fishin vest?

2. Likes fyshstykr liked this post

Default Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

I never got away from using a vest. In fact my LLBean trout vest is the same one that I've been using since the late '70s. It was well made but doesn't have a halfatrillion pockets like "newer" vests do, so I've never had issues with "too heavy" or "too much cr@p" that other former vest users seem to complain about.
    I tried a chest pack exactly one day. Not for me.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I have an old one that I recently replaced with a new one from Bass Pro Shops (less than $60).

Downside of older: the old vests fit lower, and got wet easier as a result. Many of their pockets were useless (unless you smoke).

Upside of newer: light-weight clothing that dries easily.

Upside/downside: I miss the old wool dry patch. But at least the new felt(?) patch folds up from the bottom, so I lose fewer flies from it.

Lightbulb Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    .Upside/downside: I miss the old wool dry patch. But at least the new felt(?) patch folds up from the bottom, so I lose fewer flies from it.
    I should probably put this in the "tips " thread
    When my wife was tossing her old fleece slippers like these I snuck them out of the trash and made myself up a bunch of the wool patches.
    You just have to trim the fleece back a bit and add a safety pin.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I never got away from using a vest. In fact my LLBean trout vest is the same one that I've been using since the late '70s. It was well made but doesn't have a halfatrillion pockets like "newer" vests do, so I've never had issues with "too heavy" or "too much cr@p" that other former vest users seem to complain about.
    I tried a chest pack exactly one day. Not for me.
    You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...MEZYDRmL0#t=9s

Blog Entries

I got a vest / pack type for Nancy back in 2007 / 2008, bought from FishWest off eBay. It was dirt cheap and I thought that if it were junk I would just have to spring for one of the big name brands.

It is at least as good as the expensive ones and perhaps better. Of course they are "Discontinued" God, I hate that!

I even called FishWest before making this reply to see if I could hook you up with one, that's how I know they sold the last in 2009.

I'm PM a link to you.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes dean_mt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

I'd say the dude has a sickness or severe addiction. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to find a particular fly in a hurry.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
    I'd say the dude has a sickness or severe addiction. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to find a particular fly in a hurry.
    Completely ridiculous. That vest weighs at least 20 lbs. No thanks!

Blog Entries

that video was absurdly funny
    must be awkward fishing with all those boxes

as far as a vest, i've been using a patagonia canyonwalker
    for over 5 years now and love it.
    i really like the vertical pocket design for carrying longer boxes
    and the mesh body keeps me cool.

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Serious? I wouldn't need 9 fly boxes in my vest if I were Survivorman parachuting into a remote place for a 40-day stay. Surely not serious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast