Landing net: Wood vs Composite

shotgunfly

Reaction score
So I have a brodin hand net (overall 24") with a 9x18" rubber bag. BUT I have short arms! Been looking into getting a longer handled net which would come in "handy" for kayaking too and came across a net from nomad fly fishing which makes a composite (fiberglass I think) landing net....reminds me of a tennis racket.

Has anyone had experience with these nets and can offer info on:

1. Durability? Do they become brittle in the winter? Does leaving them in a hot car adversely affect them?

2. Lighter than wood?

3. Naturally buoyant?

They cost more than wood nets in comparable sizes and with rubber bags. I just wonder where that extra costs comes from. The superiority of the design/materials or the extra work it takes to make one vs wood. My guess is they'd be easier to make than wood?

trout champ

Reaction score
I have only handled the Nomad net in the shop, but it is lighter than my Brodin. I am interested to hear other responses because my Brodin is starting to wear out!

Randy

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and ordered one based on Kevin Best (owner): "...lighter than Brodin or any other wooden model."

I'll update when it gets here on initial thoughts and after a few catches.

polar

Reaction score
I recently picked up the mid handle and boat net, both are very well made, super light and have an awesome soft touch finish. Boat net can handle large trout or steelhead.
I would Highly recommend them..

chased

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you awhile back. Wood vs composite. In the end I went with a Nomad Mid Length net and I'm glad I did. It did cost a little more than a comparable wood net, but this Nomad net is STRONG and super light. It can land small stream trout to 25lb carp and everything in between no problem. It has also saved my ass a few times from falling in the tailwater by using it as a wading staff. It still looks nearly brand new with very few dings or scratches. The wood net would have been classier, but it would have most likely been beat to hell, possibly even broke. The thing that pushed me over the edge was being able to email Kevin or call him and have an immediate response, excellent customer service.

I have no affiliation with Nomad nets, I just love their product.

Chase

Reactions: Ard

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm sure there is reason why I've never seen a long handled wooden net in guide boat before. The composite frames are lighter, take more abuse and are completely functional for scooping trout out of the water.

I have a wood net, BTW, because I like the look. But for a boat net I would go with the lighter version.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
So I have a brodin hand net (overall 24") with a 9x18" rubber bag. BUT I have short arms! Been looking into getting a longer handled net which would come in "handy" for kayaking too and came across a net from nomad fly fishing which makes a composite (fiberglass I think) landing net....reminds me of a tennis racket.

Has anyone had experience with these nets and can offer info on:

1. Durability? Do they become brittle in the winter? Does leaving them in a hot car adversely affect them?

These nets should be extremely durable as long as the proper methods are used during the lay up and curing procedures.

Cold temps won't effect them. Many aircraft have carbon fiber parts that are exposed to colder temperatures than you'll be fishing in.

Heat won't bother them either as most carbon fiber projects are heat cured at temps at or above 350 degrees. Some projects are vacuum bagged and cured without the use of ovens, but I would imagine the Nomad Nets are heat cured because of the strength needed to lift a very heavy fish, and heat curing makes resins stronger.

2. Lighter than wood?

Fishing nets typically use a hard wood which tends to be more dense, thus heavier....add epoxy resin and finish and it becomes even heavier. When comparing like thicknesses of CF and most wood, generally the wood will tend to be a bit heavier, unless it's Balsa.

3. Naturally buoyant?

My understanding is that this depends on the material/project composition, if the material weighs less than the water it's displacing, then, yes, it will float.
Please do not try this with your fly rod though.:D

The Nomad nets I believe use a core material in the handle such as balsa or honeycomb that would also help in their float-ability.

They cost more than wood nets in comparable sizes and with rubber bags. I just wonder where that extra costs comes from. The superiority of the design/materials or the extra work it takes to make one vs wood. My guess is they'd be easier to make than wood?

The higher cost for the most part comes from the pre-preg(resin impregnated carbon fiber matte or sheeting), and the upfront cost of design and machining of the molds used for lay up and curing.

Carbon Fiber was in the past much more expensive, but in recent years the availability due to advancements in manufacturing and increased availability because of more stateside pre-preg manufacturers has helped to bring CF cost down.

I think the cost to finish a carbon fiber or wooden net would be pretty comparable in time and materials. They both need to be sanded and sprayed with the chosen finish, whether it's a varnish or paint.
Hope this answers your question, if not, just ask and I'll see what I can find for you.:)

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Wood is a sustainable, renewable harvest product, the other is not and could create bio-hazards when it begins to deteriorate.

Dave

dean_mt

Reaction score
These Nomads are great looking nets! I wish I'd known of them before I bought my Blue Ribbon last summer. The wading angler's net at less than a pound with a rubber bag is amazing. With a nylon bag that thing would weigh nothing.

I might have a lightly used hand made in Montana hardwood net for sale soon...

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Thanks gents. The nomad came in today. I have to say that rubberrized handle feels like velvet! Very nice touch and functional. I'm looking forward to taking it out this week.

I still very much love my Brodin and it will get to see plenty of use. I just couldn't go longer with a wooden net given the extra weight and the fact that my left (netting hand) is the one I can't close fully because of my arthritis (is that the world's smallest violin I hear playing just for me?) ;-)

dean_mt

Reaction score
You are using that for a boat net, I assume? I wish some shops around here stocked a couple of those, I'd love to get my hands on one...then again, it's probably better that I can't. I'd probably be splurging on another non-essential...

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Nomad Guide Net (48" long) for my last outing to Pyramid Lake. I am very glad I had it as the fish were big.....

The net is very strong, very light and they float. I am thinking of picking up a hand net for my back-country trips. The long handle on the guide net makes netting fat bows from my cataraft much easier.

I am glad I made the purchase.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
You are using that for a boat net, I assume? I wish some shops around here stocked a couple of those, I'd love to get my hands on one...then again, it's probably better that I can't. I'd probably be splurging on another non-essential...
Boat and land. A bit essential for me. I've been blessed with a few long things, but not arms or legs.

chased

Reaction score
I settled on the mid length because a majority of what I do is wade fishing. The short one is too short for landing carp and big trout. The guide net would be perfect for the boat. With the mid length I just stuff it in between my belt and forget about it until I need it which is nice. I did have once incident where my buddy wasn't paying attention and actually lost it in the tail water. Thankfully it floats like cork, and we were able to find it about an hour later.

Chase

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Boat and land. A bit essential for me. I've been blessed with a few long things, but not arms or legs.
LOL, just about spit my water out when I went back and re-read that.