Big man waders

dnj21

Reaction score
Need some hot weather waders for the full figured fly fisherman. I like my Cabelas big man waders for duck hunting but Missouri summers are killing me. Looking for suggestions, something easy to walk in and comfortable.

Will have the boot discussion in a separate thread, that seems a little easier.

Thank you!!

chased

Reaction score
I'm not exactly a toothpick at 6'2 and 270lbs. Anyways, I have no complaints with my Simms G4's. They fit just right and and are very comfortable. They can be as cool or warm as you want them depending on layering. A bit pricey, but worth the investment in my eyes. If you wanted to save some money, Cabela's has breathable waders at a good price. There is no way in hell I would be wearing neoprene duck waders in the heat of Nebraska summer. When it warms up enough I just wet wade, swim trunks or lightweight pants/shorts and my wading boots and I'm good to go.

-chase

trout champ

Reaction score
I am a big man. Very big 6'5" 325 lbs, depending what I eat for dinner. I have a 30"ish inseam, size 15-16 shoe, wear a 46 pant, and a 56 jacket.

If you are as big as me you have two options (one really) either Patagonia or Simms.

I had the Patagonia Rio Gallegos in XXLK briefly earlier this year for about three months. There were pretty good, but not great. They were a little tight in the crotch and I felt as if I had a constant wedgie. The neoprene booties were actually too big, if you can imagine that. I would have way too much material stacked up in my size 16 boots. Other than that they were good. Easily converted to waist highs for hot days. Never leaked, lots of features I wish Simms would include in their waders, and cheaper that their Simms counter parts - but they are made off shore...

Simms - freaking incredible. I have had the old school Classic Guide model forever now in a size 3xl. Like five or six years maybe even seven years now. Just started to leak and I put my waders through hell. Probably close to bomb proof. They should probably put my waders in their magazine as a tribute, but I digress. Simms waders fit perfect with plenty of room under them for layering. I am hoping for a new pair this summer and will have the G3 waders and will probably have them customized here. Made in America up in MT.

Another option for you, depending on size, may be wader pants like these. If ease of walking and relief from heat it what you're looking for. Also try layering some with a heat specific garment from Columbia or Under Armour.

See ya in the boot thread!

Thanks
Randy

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I am a big man. Very big 6'5" 325 lbs, depending what I eat for dinner. I have a 30"ish inseam, size 15-16 shoe, wear a 46 pant, and a 56 jacket.

Thanks
Randy
Totally different tack. I'm (now) 5-11-.75, then I was an even 6' at 180 pounds and I'm introduced to my new "#2" for the bush in 1961. The man was huge, like E-NOR-MUS big. He towered over me and probably had at least 100 pounds on me even in combat equipment.

Took me close to a couple of weeks before I could 'understand' his Southern Drawl. To communicate I actually had to look at him and watch his lips. In the 'bush'? A huge hand on my shoulder pushing me down.

Fellow had the hearing of a barn owl. He could hear a mouse move. I had the special equipment, he had my back.

Someone later told me we were called 'Mutt and Jeff.' You may have to be 'old' to understand that one.