Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Nets

Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

After today I have another sad net story; my folding Frabill net was stolen streamside while a friend and I stopped for lunch on the tailgate. We watched a guy fish while we ate; he was out of sight when he left the water near where we left the net; he and it were gone by the time we finished our lunch

I got the net at Cabelas a couple years ago but I've not seen another like it; it's not the triangular shape, more square and larger. I couldn't find a pic but I have a short clip of it:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1eARxJvqo"]Stolen net - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by wannafish; 08-27-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added video link
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    After today I have another sad net story; my folding Frabill net was stolen streamside while a friend and I stopped for lunch on the tailgate. We watched a guy fish while we ate; he was out of sight when he left the water near where we left the net; he and it were gone by the time we finished our lunch

I got the net at Cabelas a couple years ago but I've not seen another like it; it's not the triangular shape, more square and larger. I couldn't find a pic but I have a short clip of it:
    Stolen net - YouTube
    Well that sure sucks, sorry to hear the bad news! Best of luck finding a replacement.

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

A few years ago my oldest son and his buddy were fishing the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork. He had just netted a fish for his friend when the friend slipped and fell into the current. My son dropped the net and rushed to save his buddy and my net was lost forever. I hope someone found it and is using it today.

Thanks to all who have posted here. I'm sure there are many more nets to show off. Let's see them!

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

I've got a big old Brodin Folding net for carp, its boring and not fun to look at but works dang good.

My trout net is a little 20 dollar special from.....i dont know where. It was nice but had fine mesh which wasnt too bad at snagging flies but when it did, oh boy!! apparently though one fishing I woke up after a night of moderate adult beverage consumption ( ) and discovered my bag had a big melted hole in it. Hmmm??? Turns out that at some point overnight I decided I wanted to dry my net out and set it close to the fire....which almost immediatly puked some ambers which landed on it. AH HA!! To end my ramble here, I cut the mesh off and got a brodin replacement ghost bag and sewed it up with some 30lb backing and we are good to go now!!

Oh i found a picture pre bag melt!!

it was freaking cold!! haha
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

I use the Cortland net with the new clear plastic netting. Believe I bought it at Wal Mart for $20. Looks the same as the nets in the fly shops costing 5X as much. Light, less tangles than the the "fabric" type.
    Cortland Catch and Release Bamboo Wooden Net: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com

Brodin teardrop 18
    R Reese

7. Likes baseman1 liked this post
    Blog Entries

My newest passion is to build custom nets. I started this because I like to work with wood. The first ones turned out quite well but I did not like the narrow teardrop design, also, my youngest son's net came apart on the river this winter.

I have a fellow who builds the net frame and he was using an air process to force the laminates together but it caused voids in the glue. He has since revised his glueing process as well as reworked the net bow configuration into something that I like much better than the narrow teardrop. He also takes the bow wood clear down along the outside of the handle rather than stepping it off as it shows on the narrower models.

Here is my net that I built last fall:

...and my son's (the one that came apart):

And here is the new design:

I will get a picture after I've done the finish work on the new design net.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

9. Likes mojo, Joey Bagels, lilredflyguy, baseman1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    There once was a net maker in Hawaii who by all rights should still be doing that. He used the finest local woods and fashioned some of the most handsome nets I've ever laid eyes on. He offered many wood combinations and styles of nets and crafted them beautifully. He has 7 layers of wood on the hoops and all of the nets underwent the W.E.S.T. epoxy technique.
    Tropical Lightning nets are as strong, lightweight and beautiful as any wood net available and then some. I wish that builder would get back in the groove but last I heard he moved to California and vanished.

Throat and logo...

Overall...

Hebgen gulper in a Tropical Lightning...
    Funny how I missed the original thread. Jack, both Joni and I had/have TLC nets. She has two, one is the shorter rectangular C&R style and the other is the guide style 36". My guide net went overboard a few years ago during a storm on Henry's Lake. (Kelly knows about the kind of storms that suddenly appear out of nowhere) I hope someone found it and is taking good care of it. I still have the C&R net, that'll never leave the family. Both of mine were koa, cocabolo and mango. Greg Walker WAS Tropical Lightning Creations. He move from Hawaii to Cal, like Jack said, and I think he spent some time in Nevada. That was the last time I talked to him- about 2007 or '08. Joni said he moved to Montana.
    The guy definitely was talented. I wish he'd get back into the business again. I also bought a 3wt. Shelbyville fly rod from him.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I just finished restoring my grandfather-in law's vintage Ed Cummings net. He died before my wife and I were married, but he was the kind of guy I would definitely have learned a lot from and enjoyed spending time with on the water. The original netting was worn and rotting and the wood was dry and de-finished in most places. My wife had used it as a little kid to catch frogs at the local pond and decided that after keeping it in a box of her stuff for the past several years, it would be good for me to use it as a fishing net again to keep Grampy George's spirit fishing. I've used it on most of my trout fishing trips since then, but the net was getting more and more beat up each trip. So this week, I refinished the wood, removed the old, tattered cotton bag, and added a clear rubber net and a magnetic clasp to prepare for the next trip to some trout water where Grampy and I will try to convince some fish to spend a few quality moments in his old wooden net. I like to think he'd get a kick out of the fancy new "ghost net" and maybe chuckle to himself about how his 60-something year old net is being spiffed up with some 21st century innovations. Or maybe he'd have just thought I'm a flake for getting so worked up over his old gear. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the results and will post some proper photos of it cradling a fish or two as soon as I get it into the water again.

12. Likes fly_guy12955, dean_mt, noreaster liked this post

While I no longer have it (someone at the lake walked off with it) I will put in a plug for Stevens nets. I loved that one I had.

But since I had to replace it I went tough and modern with a Nomad net from Fishpond. I like it a lot,,,but it doesn't have near the sex appeal of my Stevens net.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast