Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish finder

Default Fish finder

To help narrow down my quest to start nailing walleyes on a fly rod, I'm going to buy a fish finder for my boat. Any info on a Garmin 550C as good or bad, etc.? Also, does anyone mount the transducer on the electric trolling motor and problems if I do? This is a totally new area for me, so any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fish finder

I am considering one for my boat, for use on the lake when pike fishing. I know nothing about them but would think there will be mounting instructions with the unit. Putting it on an electric motor somehow does not sound all that good to me.

We'll find out when we buy them I guess. Garmin should be fine but there are several very well established brands, Humming Bird comes to mind.........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

mridenour Guest

My transducer on my old Hummingbird was mounted on the trolling motor. Never had any problems at all with it.

4. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

That settles that then. I have never owned either so I really didn't know, thanks Mike.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Mounting the transducer on the TM is done all the time on bass boats and such, without ill effects IF you mount it correctly, and power the FF from the cranking battery and NOT the battery used to power the trolling motor. BPS or Cabelas have the mounting bracket, and if you buy the FF new, it may include the bracket and worm clamp needed to mount it properly on the lower motor portion of the TM.

Check out youtube, and you'll find several vids on how to mount one. I've had a FF transducer mounted on my TM for years w/o issue, just don't power the FF with the same battery for the TM. May have to do a bit of fine tuning/adjustment on the transducer to get a good picture on the head unit, but actually its easier to do than learning how to use a fly rod imo.

Blog Entries

Mine also had instructions for mounting on the trolling motor, but I opted to mount it similar to how Joni did hers with a piece of rectangular aluminum that straps to the NFO pontoon boat. That way I don't have to bring the trolling motor every time I want to use the fish finder. The rectangular arm is pretty easy to attach to the drift boat if I want to use that on stillwater.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Mine also had instructions for mounting on the trolling motor, but I opted to mount it similar to how Joni did hers with a piece of rectangular aluminum that straps to the NFO pontoon boat. That way I don't have to bring the trolling motor every time I want to use the fish finder. The rectangular arm is pretty easy to attach to the drift boat if I want to use that on stillwater.

Curious here, has the fish finder really helped you catch more trout? Has it led you to fish areas that you would not have fished without it (and caught fish). Not a condemnation here, just curious to their effectiveness for trout fishing.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Hi Dave,

I don't have one but know folks who do, in a large lake they help a lot in locating fish. What I would need would be a depth finder, if it also showed blips for fish that would be good.

Blog Entries

Hey Ard, I thought YOU were the fish finder these days?
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi Dave,

I don't have one but know folks who do, in a large lake they help a lot in locating fish. What I would need would be a depth finder, if it also showed blips for fish that would be good.
    The depth finder is my primary interest also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast