Considering a Wading Jacket

pjosh6

Reaction score
I am considering buying a wading jacket for this upcoming fall and winter. Just curious as to what most people are using. I have always learned to layer my clothing and mostly still plan to do that if the conditions apply. I do have a few gortex military jackets or other water resistant jackets that I could wear out. I have looked at several online and like the looks of them along with the pockets and how the sleeves are set up to help keep water out. Any thoughts?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

I have had a few over the years and currently am using a Simms G-3 jacket for rain conditions. The jacket has ample pocket space and neoprene cuff liners that chinch tight with Velcro straps. The cuffs will hold out water even if you reach into the river elbow deep to hold a fish. The hood is big enough to cover your head and a cap as well.

The jacket has served well now for 2 seasons. I have worn it for as many as 5 strait days of constant rain in a row and it keeps me dry through the worst that Alaska can send my way. I do have the ability to hang the jacket to dry the exterior each night before the next morning and another 12 hours of rain.

These are expensive but they work. I also have a Reddington 'Redstorm' Jacket that sold for $99 and it will keep you dry but I have not put it through the test like I have the Simms jacket. For all day rain and long days on the water choose the best you can afford to get.

I also have a Lewis Creek and a Filson both in wax finish cotton that I really like. These will keep you dry for a day but if it gets really ugly you will be a little damp at days end. They are warmer than the Simms or Reddington jackets but not as watertight.

Ard

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I have a frogg toggs jacket. Under 100$ and made well. Big pockets for fly box. Also has hand Warner's a net loop on the back and a roll up hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

M

mridenour

I need to invest in the same. Last winter I fished all day in the rain and the jacket I wore had rain get in the neck area (blowing rain) and my shoulders and upper arms were soaked. My pockets that were open filled with water (my phone was in one of them...forgot to leave it in the truck...the end) and I was pretty much a shivering mess for the first hour back in the vehicle driving home.

billyspey

Reaction score
Patagonia is what I use could not be happier , have owned Simms light weight Gortex jacket no good ,have returned one for warranty was given a new one same problem will not stay dry .

rockriver

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of good waterproof jackets out there. I use the Cabela's MT050 rain jacket and it's bombproof. However, if your wearing chest waders, you have the extra length that you really don't need. I also wear it bowhunting and sometimes I think it must smell like fish no matter what I do. My next fishing jacket will be the Simm's G3 or G4.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I use a Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guide Jacket and consider it as close to bomb-proof as they come. I was on the Railroad Ranch of the Henry's Fork this past July 4th and the rain, sleet and hail came down in buckets for over a half-hour, and I stayed nice and dry.

Here's my buddy, Tom, in his Frog Toggs jacket and stayed dry also:

Kelly

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I use a Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guide Jacket and consider it as close to bomb-proof as they come. I was on the Railroad Ranch of the Henry's Fork this past July 4th and the rain, sleet and hail came down in buckets for over a half-hour, and I stayed nice and dry.

Here's my buddy, Tom, in his Frog Toggs jacket and stayed dry also:

Kelly
Sweet Jesus! Now that is RAIN!:eek:

pjosh6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions and ideas... I have looked at both the ll bean and simms jackets and like them both... Simms is a little pricey but i know you get what you pay for....

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

moxnichts

Reaction score
This is the Cabela's Dry-Plus® Grey Reef Drifter Wading Jacket. On sale now for $99. Not such a big fan of all the advertising on it, but everyone seems to do that now. Otherwise a great jacket/medium shell. Its a few years old and has been dragged through the bush without any signs of wear. Seems tough. Actually this my fishing cohort, but I bought one also after my really old Stearns jacket wore out.

But I'm a big fan of Beans warranty. I use, don't abuse it, and they get a lot my families business.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
The Simms jackets are great, as is the Orvis Pro Guide jacket. The primary advantage of the Orvis jacket is the seal on the cuffs, which is very tight, even for very skinny people. I have held my arms underwater and been kept dry, as long as my under-layers weren't creeping under the cuffs. I dislike the lack of availability of zinger attachment points, but it's intended to be clean on the outside to prevent snags (like the new Simms Slick jacket). The Pro Guide has held up on some seriously rainy days.

L

Liphookedau

This is the Cabela's Dry-Plus® Grey Reef Drifter Wading Jacket. On sale now for $99. Not such a big fan of all the advertising on it, but everyone seems to do that now. Otherwise a great jacket/medium shell. Its a few years old and has been dragged through the bush without any signs of wear. Seems tough. Actually this my fishing cohort, but I bought one also after my really old Stearns jacket wore out.

But I'm a big fan of Beans warranty. I use, don't abuse it, and they get a lot my families business.

I have a Redington Red Storm which I've had for quite a few years it's been a beaut Jacket & is about up for replacement before I go to Alaska again the next one I buy will probably be a Simms.

Hi Ard. The Pic Looks a bit familiar without The Net.
Brian

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
I had an older version of The Patagonia SST which was the best wading jacket of its time. It lasted about 7 years and then I got the Cabelas version of the SST. I am still using it 8 years later.

Neither of these above jackets are being made. Both have improved but given my experience with Cabela's gear I recommend the Cabela's GORE-TEX® Guidewear® River Runner Jacket which is currently on sale for $199.99

Cabela's GORE-TEX® Guidewear® River Runner Jacket – Regular : Cabela's

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have the Reddington jacket Ard referred to.i run warm so even in the most frozen of a Colorado winter I will wear a t-shirt, then a fleece and the Redington goes over if its snowing . It has served me well

I would get the Simms one but I have a similar north face one for dire cold. Plus if I got the Simms one I would have to start charging them royalties as a walking billboard.

" hey here comes the middle aged fat guy looking like a Simms/Sage advertisement , lets see if he can catch fish"

williamhj

Reaction score
I have the Orvis Pro Guide. Definitely pricey. It is a great jacket. The pockets are massive so I can really hold everything in the jacket with my lanyard. Keeps my very dry and I've worn it in some heavy rain and snow both everyday use and fishing. It has a large hood that covers head and hat, tight seams, hand warmer pockets as well as waterproof inside pocket. It blocks the wind well without being too heavy. That way I can wear it on rainy but warmer days and then wear a fleece under it as the weather turns colder. I got it one size larger so I could wear a couple fleeces under it on those really cold days. Now after some work and careful eating it is two sizes too big but still looks and feels good albeit roomy :) The cuffs are great. They keep water out and the velcro is under a sleeve so it doesn't snag on line, etc.

In retrospect I probably would have been fine with the LL Bean one or the cheaper Orvis one etc., but I am happy with the jacket and with it going very strong almost two years later I think I'll get my money out of it. It is my go-to raincoat, wore it through our recent rainstorms.

pjosh6

Reaction score
I do have one question... On any of these jackets, is there a way to tighen up around your waist?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

duker

Reaction score
I wear a Gore-Tex "alpine" cut jacket made by Taiga (Canadian company based in Vancouver). It's 3 layer material so is pretty tough. I've worn it for years, fishing and otherwise. No special pockets or doodads for fishing, but it keeps the wind and rain out.

I used to wear a coated nylon rain jacket thinking I didn't want to spend the $ on Gore-Tex for rough-duty fishing. I was wrong. Spending a rainy day in a cold clammy plastic jacket getting damp from your sweat and not the rain is not fun.

Scott