Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade rod carrier

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homemade rod carrier

Last season I made a rod carrier I use on my cataraft as well as my jeep. It is made with 2" plastic piping (black). I then got pipe insulation 1/2" tick. This leaves a padded opening of 1". Enough for my cork handle/etc. I cut a portion of the pipe away (see picture). I have small bungee type cords attached to the 2" pipe (before I inserted the foam padding). that hold the reel in place. This system keeps the full length of the rod protected while driving on the many dirt roads we have here in ID.

I painted the tube grey so it would not get so hot in the sun....

Here's a cheepie I made. Holds 2 rods. Big magnets from Harbor Freight. I wish I'd got the bigger size, though I haven't had any problems as is. Made the mistake of sticking the magnet to the truck before I had a handle on the magnet. It was damn near permanent!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

This video came up some time ago on another forum. Some really techy guys chimed in about something extremely dangerous about extracting the magnets. Cant remember what it was.

On the subject of PVC rod racks. I built this for my tube.

Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

4. Likes wannafish, GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    This video came up some time ago on another forum. Some really techy guys chimed in about something extremely dangerous about extracting the magnets. Cant remember what it was.

On the subject of PVC rod racks. I built this for my tube.

Sweet set up there! The danger extracting the magnets that you mention may be the stored charge in a capacitor. If you can locate the leads on same and short them by placing the shaft of a metal screwdriver across them you will hear a snap and see a spark and then you are good to go...unless there is another capacitor
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12