Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines for furled leaders?

1. Default Lines for furled leaders?

Thinking about giving furled leaders another try, last time was many years ago. Wondering if you folks who like them have found that certain fly line designs work better than others with them? I will be using them for trout on an 8 1/2 foot four weight Redington Tempt, a moderate action rod. I normally prefer lines with longer tapers where more of the weight is at the rear of the taper, like an Airflo Delta, but the lack of mass forward seems like it may not be ideal for these leaders (correct me if I'm wrong here).

What lines do you find work best with furled leaders on a light trout set up?

Default Re: Lines for furled leaders?

I've used them on all my lines including various WFs and DTs, Triangle Taper, Sylk, and my pike and musky line. If the line and the furled leader fit the kind of fishing you are doing then I wouldn't worry.
    - William

3. Default Re: Lines for furled leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
    Thinking about giving furled leaders another try, last time was many years ago. Wondering if you folks who like them have found that certain fly line designs work better than others with them? I will be using them for trout on an 8 1/2 foot four weight Redington Tempt, a moderate action rod. I normally prefer lines with longer tapers where more of the weight is at the rear of the taper, like an Airflo Delta, but the lack of mass forward seems like it may not be ideal for these leaders (correct me if I'm wrong here).

What lines do you find work best with furled leaders on a light trout set up?

I use nothing but furled leaders for the past seven or so years. I would love to work on this with you.

4. Likes fredaevans, fly_guy12955 liked this post

9iron, I doubt it needs as much thinking as you are putting into it. Let Joni fix you up.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Exclamation Re: Lines for furled leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I use nothing but furled leaders for the past seven or so years. I would love to work on this with you.
    Ms. Joni is the Queen of furled leaders. I even have them on my light spey rods. Tell her what you need and it will be in the mail to you a day or two later.

Air time, line/leader/fly is laying out like feathers in the wind. Mr. Trout has no chance with a #10 bead head Prince Nymph on the working end.

Her 'furles' are pure magic.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    If he doesn't take you up on it, I will.

Blog Entries

What is the difference between a furled leader and a regular leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/

Thumbs up Re: Lines for furled leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
    If he doesn't take you up on it, I will.
    RIGHT ANSWER!

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

10. Default Re: Lines for furled leaders?

I was just looking for some opinions on how these things work, but I appreciate the support for Joni (just briefly looked at your blog, very cool). I know it appears that this might be overthinking things, but often the difference between great and not so great are the little things. Some 4 weight fly lines (like a triangle taper) require a light 4X tapered mono leader and others can easily turn over a 9 foot 0X with a few more feet of tippet. I know nothing about how these furled leaders behave, what they work best with, and if the size and length are terribly important with lighter lines intended for smaller waters with slower rods. As an example, I usually use Airflo poly leaders but found that once I get down to the 4 weights and lighter, they cease being so good as they hinder the turnover rather than help it. I tend to think it's because of the long fine front taper of the fly line and the lack of energy at the end of it. I can literally see the loop start to collapse at the leader junction with anything but the lightest tapered mono leaders. I wonder how much better a furled leader would be, but the choices are many.

So maybe to redirect the question, I should ask which furled leaders, of what length and made of what material (thread, mono, fluoro?), are best for long light tapered lines in the lighter weights? I will be mostly throwing smallish dries and swinging small wet flies.

Thumbs up Re: Lines for furled leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
    What is the difference between a furled leader and a regular leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Magic with a light rod, even a 2hander.

fae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast