Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your thoughts on this canoe?

Hey, I'm getting old.

Thought about buying back my Mad River canoe/kayak I sold to a friend before I took up fly fishing. The more I think about it, the more the small jon makes sense. I have a 17ft Alumacraft now so this new addition would be for small lakes and shallow rivers. Planned to power it with my trolling motors.

Any of you ever flyfish from a very small jon boat?

Default Re: Your thoughts on this canoe?

If you are going to fish from an aluminum boat, then you absolutely will need to carpet it.
    Even just shifting your foot makes enough noise to scare every fish around
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Your thoughts on this canoe?

Your not getting old man just better with time. I have a Jon boat similar to the one in the pic. I love it. Very sturdy very easy to get in and out of the water. Like you said, very easy to hit small shallow streams and creeks. I would go for it if I were you!👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/

Warm water fishing if I wasn't clear on that. I do want to keep the weight down so I wouldn't want to build it up much at all.

I'd cover the whole front half in ply wood and carpet it... Make for a better casting area... Otherwise slap a motor on it and a little troller and you're set

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    I'd cover the whole front half in ply wood and carpet it... Make for a better casting area... Otherwise slap a motor on it and a little troller and you're set
    I think I would temp install something like that and try it out. I don't remember ever being in a jon this small. When I have fished narrow smaller jons, it worked best with one person sitting in the back and then one could stand in front. Without a little ballast I don't think this will be really stable standing. The other option is a canoe or kayak though. Light, stable and affordable. I can only pick two. And I have already enough toys stored outside in the elements. A jon boat won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I think I would temp install something like that and try it out. I don't remember ever being in a jon this small. When I have fished narrow smaller jons, it worked best with one person sitting in the back and then one could stand in front. Without a little ballast I don't think this will be really stable standing. The other option is a canoe or kayak though. Light, stable and affordable. I can only pick two. And I have already enough toys stored outside in the elements. A jon boat won't care.
    I like the jon boat idea.

Another thought would be a canoe with stabilizing pontoons on it. A canoe would go like crazy with a trolling motor. The pontoons would give it stability. They could be removed as well. There are a few sites if you want to Google them. I've even seen them homemade with PVC plumbing pipes.

Todd
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Ever thought of a pram? There are fly fishing specific prams out there. google fly fishing pram (no hot links for this boy!! lol) and you'll find all kinds...very light, not too expensive. If I were soloing on warm water ponds and lakes (and didn't use my canoe, which is how I go), I'd invest in a pram.

Gary

There will be occasions when I want to fish two people. I think the jon will be better for that. My 14ft canoe would haul two for recreational paddling, but fishing would have been a hassle. Wouldn't want to try it in canoe any shorter or lighter for sure. I don't mean to sound anti canoe/kayak at all. I intend to borrow my old one and try it out too. I think it might be better in moving water where I will be occasionally.

Blog Entries

The Jon is the way to go for me. I put carpet down in mine. Great for 2 people, very stable and you can go just about anywhere with it. That's my 0.02$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast