Need advise on a fishin' satchel

jeed

Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new thread because the gas title from the last one wasn't being all that specific for what I was asking.

So I have a big honkin' tech pack, which I normally love as a gear hauler, but I find its too much for my short day trips. Its big and usually ends up dropped on shore while I fish, and makes being mobile a pain.I looked at sling packs, didn't like how they slung, so I'm looking into a satchel.

Anyone else have the same problem? I hate to say it, but I'm not much of a vest guy, and fanny packs aren't my thing, so I'm lead to a satchel. I'm looking for one to try that is downright cheap, keep in mind its just to try to see if I like it. The leathersmith in me cried tears of joy when I saw the goertzen bag, so if it ends up being something I find comfy, then I have a cow's worth of oil-tanned utility hide waiting for a purpose.

I did a fast romp around cabelas last weekend and found that they sell a flambeau creel bag, but it was chintzy, and I don't think it was meant for any other kind of use besides holding departed fish. but the price was right, so that's the scope I'm looking at.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
My first, and last, question is why are you lugging all that **** around with you. Olde Steeliheader deal (spelling intended) is 'If you can't stick in a pocket your don't need it.'

I look at some of the fishing mags/advertisements and the nut case has a stringer with 6 or more spools of leader material hanging around his neck ... and 'What the hell for?' Vest pockets stuffed with fly boxes when he/she will probably change flies two or three times per day. Choose a few patterns and have them in different sizes and the one box is all you'll ever need stuffed down the front of your chest waders.

The one "indispensable" is a Yellow Lab and a zip lock bag of dog treats.

Note to self: 'You need to buy a couple more bags of Dog Munchies.' Sandy knows where the bag under my desk is 'hidden' (like ya!) and he knows its 95% empty. Ditto the back of the Jeep. Yellow face, going to white, huge brown eyes, .... stareing at you ...and "The Force is irresistible, you will COMPLY!"

spm

Reaction score
I have always been a vest guy. Maybe a holdover from my years as a boy scout, but I have always wanted to "Be prepared" for anything. And being a Virgo, I also needed a place for everything and everything in its place. So, I have worn the Orvis Tac-L-Pak for years: the one with something like 50 pockets. Well, you can't have a pocket with nothing in it, so I filled it up with assorted "Needed" equipment. A guide once asked me how heavy my vest was. (It was heavy) On another occasion, my fishing buddy, who wears a fanny pack, made the comment that I had so much stuff, I didn't know what I had or where it was. I had to admit he was right and maybe the whole vest thing had got out of hand.

So the research began. I'm not a high-tech kind of guy, so that eliminated a lot of packs. I then discovered satchels, as jeed has. I toyed with a used Hardy bag on ebay, but they seem to be one open pocket on the inside and I wasn't sure that would work. (See Virgo comment above.) So, I ended up with a Fishpond fishing satchel. It has inside pockets in addition to a large open area. I then proceeded to fill these inside pockets with stuff from my vest. After using the satchel a couple times, it became clear that I hadn't accomplished anything. I also realized the inside pockets weren't that convenient for things I used on a regular basis. Maybe those folks at Hardy were onto something. So I started paring down the equipment and just dumped the often-used items in the main compartment. I think I may be down to a workable system. I doubt I will ever achieve Fred's minimalist level, but I'm working on it.

By the way, in answer to jeed's original question; he did ask a question, didn't he? I do like the fishpond satchel. It's simple and has a classic look to it. I know this is a long-winded response to a simple question, but I had to share it.

Best of luck on your search, jeed.
spm

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I use various methods to handle my gear carrying needs, and readily admit I'm not into style too much. Function, economy & durability are what I look for. This is what I use for when I only wish to carry a limited amount of "stuff"! :D

Military surplus, gas mask carrier bag. Canvas, in lovely olive drab. If it's good enough for our armed services guys & gals, it's good enough for me! ;)

Notice how well it tucks up under my arm, out if the way & compliments the rest of my ensemble. Yes, I'm certainly a bit if a redneck, blue collar type, even in Orvis chest waders! What can I say, I like the look of camo! :rolleyes:

spm

Reaction score
I use various methods to handle my gear carrying needs, and readily admit I'm not into style too much. Function, economy & durability are what I look for. This is what I use for when I only wish to carry a limited amount of "stuff"! :D

Military surplus, gas mask carrier bag. Canvas, in lovely olive drab. If it's good enough for our armed services guys & gals, it's good enough for me! ;)

Notice how well it tucks up under my arm, out if the way & compliments the rest of my ensemble. Yes, I'm certainly a bit if a redneck, blue collar type, even in Orvis chest waders! What can I say, I like the look of camo! :rolleyes:

BigJim,
I was looking for a military surplus bag, when I was searching. Never came across a gas mask bag in my local Army Navy store. That would have been just fine.

Oh, well. Another lesson learned.
s.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
BigJim,
I was looking for a military surplus bag, when I was searching. Never came across a gas mask bag in my local Army Navy store. That would have been just fine.

Oh, well. Another lesson learned.
s.
I bought 2 of them several years ago, online. We used to have a couple of surplus stores here, but no longer. When I was a kid, there was a surplus store my mother used to take me to & we would spend time looking thru all the cool things they had! They also sold jeans & for growing boys ( I have 2 brothers) my mom was always looking for a bargain!:D

jeed

Reaction score
Man Fred I don't know how I missed your reply! I honestly don't carry much at all. Nippers, hemos, wine cork fly drier, floatant, a handful of leaders, 3 spools of Tippett, and 2 boxes. Also a microfiber hand towel, knife and med kit. The rest of my pack is fairly empty, thus the need for a smaller setup lol. I recently nixed a water thermometer and leader straightener because I never have used either of them.

And thanks for posting that site, I'll be looking at it more in the am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeed

Reaction score
figured I'd update this with some findings as a follow-up.

did alittle research, and ended up going with the rothco venturers shoulder bag as recommended by fly_guy12955. I picked it up for 21 bucks off ebay with free shipping, and initial findings are I'm pretty happy with it. the pockets on the front flat are great for leaders and tippet, and if you keep the bag on your right hip, the knife pouch is a great place to plant your hemos. all in all I'd say its a nice little bag and perfectly suits a minimalist approach for those looking to try a satchel.

the only thing I don't like about it is the flap closure. it comes with two cheap ass pocket book latches, and if the main compartment is full, you cant latch it closed. first chance I get I'm going to rivet on a strap and lobster clip to clip onto the d-ring on the front flap to keep it closed.

schiff

Reaction score
Just seeing this today. Glad you found a bag that will work for you.
Now is the time to keep an eye open for your next bag. For 6 years, I have used various pocket books that my wife and daughter pick up for me at close-out sales or outlets. Usually get one between $5 to $10. They understand what I need as far as size and pockets. I have 3 currently in nylon and canvas. Colors in grey and black. I have a bag for bass and one for trout. It started when I saw an Old Navy bag my daughter was no longer using. It was a black nylon bag with perfect size and pockets for my use. She let me have it and told me she bought it for $8. I used it for 2 years and as it was getting worn out, I had her start searching for a replacement. So many options and sizes out there to choose from. Just an option to consider.

jeed

Reaction score
So far, the rothco is treating me well. This was more of a proof of concept bag for me: tried the style and liked it. Now that it's winter, I'm planning on making the bag I'll pass on to my broodlings later on in life, since I'm a leathersmith and all. I have the materials, just need to do it.

ten_fiver

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma trying to track down a small, affordable satchel. Everywhere I go I've been looking for something that would fit what I have in mind. One day I noticed my wife's purse....it was perfect! It's a Columbia Azza messenger bag. She absolutely won't let me have hers, so I have to get my own. Luckily, they can be found for cheap on the big auction site.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I had the same dilemma trying to track down a small, affordable satchel. Everywhere I go I've been looking for something that would fit what I have in mind. One day I noticed my wife's purse....it was perfect! It's a Columbia Azza messenger bag. She absolutely won't let me have hers, so I have to get my own. Luckily, they can be found for cheap on the big auction site.

Wife, bag on her shoulder ... missed that, had to go back and read again.:shocking: