The Fly Fishing Lanyard - Pros/Cons

lanyard

Reaction score
Am interested in opinions on incorporating a lanyard for starting out.

Being new, I'm wondering if I can just get by with a compact kit using a lanyard, and a few of those patches for hooking some flies onto. Not looking to carry too much stuff for which I don't even know the purpose. I'm guessing many of you have a lanyard for specific purposes, but also have a pack or vest. If I start out with a lanyard and the standard tools, am I missing out on something?

Any thoughts appreciated...thanks.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Most of us carry far too much junk with us when we go out. I know that I used to.

Lanyards always made one more thing on the outside of the vest to get stuff caught on.

Do a little research on Ed Zern's article of decades ago about how many flies a fisherman carries.

dwizum

Reaction score
I may be narrow minded, biased, or old fashioned but I don't get the attraction of lanyards for fly fishing. It's not going to help you with larger things (fly boxes, wallet, pair of gloves in the winter, and so on) so you're gonna need a vest or pack anyways. And if you have a vest or pack, you can just attach all the typical lanyard items to the vest instead. Plus it's silly what these things sell for. $30 - $40 for a bit of rope with some hooks attached? No thanks, that seems ridiculous.

I'm sure there are fans of lanyards out there who will disagree, and I'd welcome that, because maybe I'm just missing something here.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
The attraction of a lanyard appeals to the "minimalist" approach.
Your lanyard will hold the basics(Nippers, floatant, tippet, fly patch), add a small box or two in your shirt pocket and your traveling light.
They're not intended to be worn along with a vest. (atleast that's my understanding....as always, I could be mistaken.:))

For the intended purpose they work very well. I do agree that some of the prices have gotten a bit high, but people tend to pay if they like the item.

lanyard

Reaction score
Input appreciated...

Would still like to hear from someone who has one and uses it to advantage.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
You just did.:)

My lanyard get worn primarily when I'm floating in the driftboat, it's also convenient when using a waist/hip pack if the need for a bit more "stuff" is desired.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
May be common sense but I learned the hard way: Lanyards and sling packs don't mix well. When I'm going just waders and a couple boxes I love the lanyard. A lot easier to access nippers, floatant, patch, tippet, etc. When wearing the pack it ends up choking me every time I throw the pack around my neck.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I bought an Orvis lanyard because I had a coupon. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I've never used it in the two years I've owned it. I use a Patagonia Atom Sling. As others have pointed out, it's fine to be minimalist but I don't want a fishing trip ruined because I forgot some key piece of kit...or my lunch.

jaybo41

Reaction score
This is one of those topics that's similar to buying a vest or a pack. This is a very personal choice in that it's all about what's comfortable and what makes sense to you. Folks can share perfectly valid thoughts and experiences but until you try one, you'll never find the right balance for yourself. I have 2 lanyards. One sits in storage because it has too many attachments on it. The other is paracord and it holds one item, my nippers. That's the one item I want to keep secure and have access to easily. I've learned that I like things out of the way by means of a pack or in pockets and prefer minimal items on my front side as it just gets in my way when casting and moving around. Just because this is the right approach for me, doesn't mean it's the right approach for you.

plecain

Reaction score
Like some others I bought a lanyard thinking that it looked like a good idea.

I never use it. Everything I need goes into vest pockets or pants pockets (well, not my net).

J

james w 3 3

I'm a big lanyard fan!
Of course I'm also a big fan of minimalism, as I believe less "stuff" let's me concentrate on the Zen of fly fishing. (I can't come up with a better phrase than that right now. :eek: )

Everything I truly need is hanging right there except one small box of flies in my pocket. Great for some of the rugged terrain in the High Sierras.

Also really handy in my float tube. No looking in the tube pockets for nippers etc as I'm very conscious of the noise of zippers/Velcro/etc being transmitted directly into the water by the echo chamber I'm sitting in.

I never wear a vest in my tube, and greatly prefer not to wear one on the streams. But that's just me.

rapman

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of lanyards as well. I strolled the aisles of the local craft store and bought wood beads and a length of leather 'rope' (approx shoelace width), added some snap swivels and had a decent lanyard for far less than $10. I keep floatant, nippers, tippet, hook threader, fly patch and hemo's on it. A box or 2 in my pockets or a small waistpack and I'm ready to hit the water.

afdavis11

Reaction score
Im still a beginner too. I made my own lanyard to start out, which is what you should do too. Lanyards are kind of interesting. They will help you instantly decide what you need vs what you might want and at the same time reinforce the value of having some tools handy. First, consider how far you'll be fishing away from your supply chain. If you're fishing just off the truck/auto, lanyards rock. If you're going to be on the creek for a long time, 3 miles from your vehicle, you might start to have doubts. First time I went out with a lanyard I spent the whole time worried about needing a new leader, and I hadn't brought one on the lanyard. Didn't need one though. I felt a little uncomfortable too, because the "workbench" was missing. I didn't realize that the black background of my chest pack workbench helped me see the tippit when I tied on flies. No biggie though.

Other than that, they are cool. But just use some para cord. I put on nippers and tippit and floatant. I keep a fly box seperately and I recomend you do too. Flies need to be secure. Bringing an extra leader isn't a big deal, a cheap little bag can suffice. Try it, and see if you like it.

Final piece of advice is that when you decide to upgrade to a pack, be appreciative of the extra gear you can carry, but don't over do it. Also, under no circumstances should you assume that just because you decide that having nippers within easy reach of your left hand and a hemostat in easy reach of your right hand that any upgrade to a sling pack, chest pack, hip pack, or even a vest will guarantee equal access as a divine right. Turns out that there are thousands of interpretations of "easy access". Don't be too surprised if you find yourself admiring the lanyard and scratching your head over the "engineering" behind the "upgrade" you chose. I'm just hoping that my experimentation with lanyards, packs, and vests (I even bought a back pack for long hiking trips) won't outlast my wife's amusement.

I don't use the lanyard alone anymore, but I sure miss having easy access to my tools.

coug

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I tried a larger lanyard and it just gets in the way. I now have some cord for my nippers and a very small multi-tool. Of course, I tie my own flies, so going "minimal" isn't in the cards; minimal for me is three boxes!

This is one of those topics that's similar to buying a vest or a pack. This is a very personal choice in that it's all about what's comfortable and what makes sense to you. Folks can share perfectly valid thoughts and experiences but until you try one, you'll never find the right balance for yourself. I have 2 lanyards. One sits in storage because it has too many attachments on it. The other is paracord and it holds one item, my nippers. That's the one item I want to keep secure and have access to easily. I've learned that I like things out of the way by means of a pack or in pockets and prefer minimal items on my front side as it just gets in my way when casting and moving around. Just because this is the right approach for me, doesn't mean it's the right approach for you.

siege

Reaction score
I have a lanyard that has a loop on each end and is worn between the straps of my waders. Short, not around my neck, and only holds a few essentials. Add a box of flys in a pocket, and you are ready to go. In a float tube, or on the pontoon boat, it works great. Long wade, add a vest or chest pack.
I have a pack rod that stays in the car, and a little zip around pouch with the reel, a lanyard with basic tools, a couple of spools of tippet, a small fly box with a varied assortment of basic patterns, and a spare leader. Great for fishing emergencies, like when you're driving along and see a likely looking spot that you have never fished. My long suffering wife always has a book in the car, so if I stop to fish, she can relax and read.:)

williamhj

Reaction score
I'm a fan. I've had one for years and there are times I'm very glad to have it. For a couple years I kept my boxes etc in a waist pack and the lanyard held my nippers, hemostats, floatant etc. Very very handy for sure. Had a clip that held it to my shirt so it wasn't in the way even when leaning over so it never got in the way. I could also have a couple boxes in my pocket with some leader and tippet if I was fishing a small stream or eager bass. It is fantastic for hot weather too, since I don't have a vest / pack on my torso.

Last year I got a fishpond pack, which replaces my lanyard. So I don't wear it for trout fishing now, but keep it for times when I don't want as much gear. I figure it is pretty cheap (mine way $20 and I made a couple for other people for pretty cheap), doesn't take up much room, and is nice to have from time to time so I find it well worth it.

Interesting screen name by the way :)

troutn

Reaction score
I use the lanyard when it gets hot and I scale back to wet wading. In the heat of summer, my fly selection is pretty narrow and less of everything is the ticket for me. Conversely, now I use my wading jacket for warmth and functionality.

lanyard

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas, for all the input. I have a trip planned for early May, so I have a bit of time to decide.

Interesting screen name by the way
LOL...when I registered some time ago, had no idea I'd have a lanyard question.