Patagonia Foot Tractor Wading Boots?

bear 007

Reaction score
I finally blew out my Simms Fireholes today, I've had them for at least fifteen years now. I've been looking at the Patagonia Foot Tractor's, I really don't want the boa system and these seem to be good replacements for my studded felts, anybody have any experience with them.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Ahhhh! Have the soft Allie bars on the bottom of mine ,.... all good! All be it a DIY retrofit my boots have the bars, you really can tell the difference on slippery rocks. :worthy:The DIY was simple . .. just went to a hardware store and bought a 6' run of 1/4 in bar. Cut to size, counter sunk holes for the screws and 'Bobs your Uncle' as the Brit's would say. Whole bit cost well less than five bucks.

Gad! Almost forgot .... get a small tube of Gorilla Glue to set the screws in the felt. Without the glue the screws will just pop out. With the GG not a loose screw in the lot.

fae

dillon

Reaction score
I have the foot tractors and am very pleased with them for their comfort ease of removal after fishing and most of all their grip on the bouldery, slick rock steelhead streams I wade. Bars don't leave little holes in my cabin's deck like spiked boots do.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Tim

I meant to buy a pair of foot tractors, but the recent discounts on the Simms G3/G4 boots were too good to pass up, and I really like the fit. I know Kelly Galloup has a YouTube video on them and highly recommends them. This past summer, I meant to stop at the Slide Inn and try a pair on, but both times I went in it was very crowded, so I passed on it.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have tried on the Patagonia Foot Tractors twice and came away with the fact for me that they were:

1. The MOST UNCOMFORTABLE wading boot I have ever put on my feet.
2. The HEAVIEST wading boot I have ever put on my feet.
3. The STIFFEST wading boot I have ever put on my feet.
3. The bars will destroy your fly line if you step on it.

I got these, in felt, instead:

Hang Tight! Routing to checkout...

...and added Goat Head Sole Spikes.

Worked great in Montana when there was no snow to contend with, otherwise, I wore my G3's...

PT/TB

dean_mt

Reaction score
Last winter I needed new boots for the upcoming season and went to the shop on customer appreciation day. That means stuff was on sale and reps were on hand. I was pretty ready to buy a pair of Simms G3 or 4 - whatever it was - for $230 or something. But the Foot Tractors were 30% off and I had already been wishing for them. When the Patagonia rep was looking for my size I was chatting with the Simms rep. I asked him about the G's and the Pata's. He said he had worn the Foot Tractors and that they were amazing in their grip. He basically told me that for the sale price, I should get them over the Gs!

I did and love them. They are stiff but I don't find them too heavy. They are burly boots, they are "Tractors," I wasn't expecting light and nimble. I wanted a pair of boots that would last years and stick to rocks but not snow. They super well built, the lacing system is sweet. If you are an in between size, be sure to get the size up. You might even want to size up no matter, try them on if you can.

As PT warned, they will ruin a fly line if you step on it. But I love the stability and solid foot hold.

Recommended!

knotjoe

Reaction score
Cleated boots and flyline...you guys are brave.

Back when Airflo first became available in the US, I called and ordered from the East coast rep. After about half dozen excursions with it, I clipped a 7 wt mono-core floater in two with my cleated Simms boots.

No more cleated boots after that for me. Maybe with spinning tackle, never with flylines.