need some good glasses

luked

Reaction score
so been needing a good pair of sunglasses for a while now. never just went ahead and got any. a few weeks ago was up at feathercraft and had my eye on some smith glasses. well just my luck they were just about sold out of everything other than maybe 2 pair that I didn't care for the fit. I don't mind to pay for a good pair of glasses at all and don't want a cheap pair. I normally wear Oakley glasses for everyday use
so what kind of ideas can you all give me as far as brand choices and also lens color. most all of my fishing is done in spring creeks for trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I love my Smiths but I bought them mostly on fit. They are the brown chroma pop model and only lack a liitle bit as the evening approaches but a good all arounder IMO

( full disclosure, I have nothing to compare them too. They are my first pair of high end polarized fishing glasses)

mtbusman

Reaction score
You can order Smiths online. Here is a link to their website.

Smith Optics Mens Sunglasses | Smith United States

Down near the bottom of the page, on the left, is a link to their fishing sunglasses. I've been buying prescription fishing sunglasses from them for over twenty years. For the last fifteen years, I've needed them with bifocals, which they make. In fact, my prescription has changed, so I'll be ordering new lenses for my existing frames. I order directly from Smith in Ketchum, Idaho.

rockriver

Reaction score
so been needing a good pair of sunglasses for a while now. never just went ahead and got any. a few weeks ago was up at feathercraft and had my eye on some smith glasses. well just my luck they were just about sold out of everything other than maybe 2 pair that I didn't care for the fit. I don't mind to pay for a good pair of glasses at all and don't want a cheap pair. I normally wear Oakley glasses for everyday use
so what kind of ideas can you all give me as far as brand choices and also lens color. most all of my fishing is done in spring creeks for trout

What's wrong with the Oakley's?

luked

Reaction score
What's wrong with the Oakley's?

I love my Oakley glasses. but they aren't designed or dedicated "fishing" glasses and he polarization does not even remotely work the same.
I actually contacted Oakley about it once and they said for fishing you need to order their "fishing" glasses. which are a bit out of what I want to spend. if I was going to spend $250 I would buy a pair of Costa Del Mar glasses

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I have Oakley with the VR 28 polarized lens. They are fishing specific but I believe they have been discontinued. While fishing they are AWESOME. In shallow water-24" or so less-they are incredible. But I think they abandoned the idea back a few years. I paid $100.00 for them brand new on eBay. Everyone in a while I see them on eBay. I have no need to replace the ones I have but I will try to get the same pair when I do need a new pair. I also wear them while driving-they are not a black out lens and add so much contrast to the environment.

I have also had Smiths a ways back and they are great as well.

duker

Reaction score
Do a search of the forum for threads on sunglasses--there are a number of them with some really good suggestions.

I wear Costa Fathoms in the bifocal style for my old man eyes. Polarized amber lenses work really well for fishing both fresh and salt water.

Scott

jdwy

Reaction score
For everyday wear I'm addicted to Oakleys too. I had some Smiths for fishing, but since I take them on and off often to put on readers for knots, fly changes, etc, I missed the Oakley "stretch" earpieces. I finally found these, polarized, copper/bronze for good visibility, lightweight, and Oakley type earpieces:
Cali Bifocal Reader 7305BIF | Flying Fisherman

left field

Reaction score
Smith can usually be found on STP for greatly discounted prices. I think I paid $65 for my scientists. Four years later they are still doing well.

That said, sun protection is not a place you want to get the cheaper option. Buy the best you can even if you have to extend the budget a little.

boomslang

Reaction score
if you want the absolute best optical clarity in any fishing conditions, there is nothing better than Costa 580 glass lenses. 580 polycarbonate lenses are close second. Everything else, including Smith, Oakley, Keanon, native eyeware and others are just playing catch up.

I have several smiths, native eye wear, and one oakley (for mountain biking), but after i tried on Costa Green mirror lenses (lense color is actually copper), I have not used anything else for fishing. it is just that superior. Expensive, but well worth it.

myt1

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is an optometrist told me Maui Jim's make the best sunglasses lenses in the world.

The downside of this is that they are friggin' expensive.

I also asked him about Ray Ban sunglasses. He said they are "so, so" and come out of adjustment.

I was also told not to get wrap-around prescription sunglasses...something about not being able to manufacture a corrective lens that has a significant bend to them.

Supplicate

Reaction score
I love my Oakley glasses. but they aren't designed or dedicated "fishing" glasses and he polarization does not even remotely work the same.
I actually contacted Oakley about it once and they said for fishing you need to order their "fishing" glasses. which are a bit out of what I want to spend. if I was going to spend $250 I would buy a pair of Costa Del Mar glasses

This is exactly why I spent the money on some Costa Del Mar's and would never go back to trying to wear my Oakley's on the water.

silver creek

Reaction score
I have several Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar sunglasses with both glass and polycarbonate lenses. Although glass is heavier, I prefer it over polycarbonate. I find it is more resitant to scratches and it has better optics. I like the glass so much, the only time I use the polycarbonate lenses is as a backup so they are rarely used.

I don't notice any difference between the clarity of the Maui Jim and Costa glass lenses but I have the 400 series Costa and not the 580. I have used Maui Jim for over 20 years and they back their product 100%. I returned one pair for lens chipping and they gave me a new pair. On my oldest pair, the lenses were getting scratched up after 10 years, and they exchanged them for a new pair for $100 for the $300 sunglasses.

If I had could only buy one pair of sunlgasses it would be Maui Jim because I know they will stand behind them. Costa may as well but I haven't had to return them since I mosty use the Maui Jims. Between my wife and I, we have 5 pairs of Maui Jims and I have 2 Costas.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Perhaps a silly question.

I have several Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar sunglasses with both glass and polycarbonate lenses. Although glass is heavier, I prefer it over polycarbonate. I find it is more resitant to scratches and it has better optics. I like the glass so much, the only time I use the polycarbonate lenses is as a backup so they are rarely used.

I don't notice any difference between the clarity of the Maui Jim and Costa glass lenses but I have the 400 series Costa and not the 580. I have used Maui Jim for over 20 years and they back their product 100%. I returned one pair for lens chipping and they gave me a new pair. On my oldest pair, the lenses were getting scratched up after 10 years, and they exchanged them for a new pair for $100 for the $300 sunglasses.

If I had could only buy one pair of sunlgasses it would be Maui Jim because I know they will stand behind them. Costa may as well but I haven't had to return them since I mosty use the Maui Jims. Between my wife and I, we have 5 pairs of Maui Jims and I have 2 Costas.
I notice several have 'several' sets of sunglasses .... a couple I could see (light conditions) but not beyond that point? Are there specific applications where one is better than the other?

fae

angledangle

Reaction score
Re: Perhaps a silly question.

I notice several have 'several' sets of sunglasses .... a couple I could see (light conditions) but not beyond that point? Are there specific applications where one is better than the other?

fae
Some days I feel like aviators, some days I feel like wrap arounds, some days I feel like these.....:cool: Some days I want to do this.......:shades: It's just hard being trendy damn it! :D

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Also check Opticsplanet.com for sunglasses on sale. Another option is Orvis. They sometimes have fishing shades (I think Smith makes them) for about half of what Costas cost.

mtbusman

Reaction score
As I posted before, I have prescription bifocal polarizing fishing sunglasses from Smith (used to be called Action Optics).

I have two colors -- polarchromic gray and copper, both in glass. I used to get the copper ones in CR39 plastic. I switched to glass for both colors and like them better. Yes, they are a little more heavy, but not only are they more scratch resistant, my bifocal line isn't as pronounced with the glass lens.

I use the gray ones for driving mostly, but also for outdoors and fishing on bright days with lots of glare. However, the copper ones are actually better for seeing fish through the water, and are nice in more subdued light as well.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I bought Costas through an optometrist about a year ago, with optometrist spec'd bifocal lenses built in. This comment really is pertinent to any quality brand however. First time I used sunglasses with built in bifocals I hated them--I found them disorienting especially wading in moving water. But I kept trying them while, fishing, driving, etc. and eventually came to like them a lot. I no longer have some sort of magnifiers handy to tie on tippet, change flies, etc.

Supplicate

Reaction score
Re: Perhaps a silly question.

fae
ANSI certified for work in a variety of lens shades, and non-ANSI glass lenses in a variety of lens shades for play.