Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Waterproof backpack ?

Quote Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
    No minimalist or trendy going on here. Just sheer laziness, nothing more, Im not going to try and sugar coat it. Hell, I lug a dslr with two lenses around. More of started for me with water. Fish in the high desert in the summer for a full day, and you can need up to two gallons. It gets rediculous. I love my life straw, best 20 bucks I think Ive ever spent. Just make sure your waters dont have chemical pollution. And i just dont like making, packing, then having to stop and eat lunch. So if I do a full day, I'll stop by Jack in The box and get a large sized ultimate breakfast or something that has like 1500 calories Waterproof backpack ?
    The more I dont have to do before, during, and after fishing the more I get to actually fish. Waterproof backpack ?

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
    I wasn't accusing you of anything. I actually like your style. But I need a backpack for TP I'd need after a breakfast like that!

Couple questions:
    How do you carry your DSLR and two lenses?
    Do you carry a water bottle to dip river water and use the Lifestraw or just crouch over and suck right out of the river?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    I wasn't accusing you of anything. I actually like your style. But I need a backpack for TP I'd need after a breakfast like that!

Couple questions:
    How do you carry your DSLR and two lenses?
    Do you carry a water bottle to dip river water and use the Lifestraw or just crouch over and suck right out of the river?
    Oh I know you weren't. I'm just clarifying I'm not a hipster. I had a beard and liked good beer before they became "things".
    As for the dslr, I have a lens pouch that has a belt loop. I run my wader suspenders through that loop and keep the pouch with lens by my chest. The actual camera I keep on a very sturdy speed sling, and just set it under my waders by my belly when not in use.
    I used to carry a bottle but not anymore. It's a lot easier to suck water straight from the river when you have waders on and are actually in the water than it seems. But now that I think about it, it's been cold and I haven't been doing a lot of hiking/walking, when it gets hot again I'll probably go back to a bottle in case I need a drink if I'm not actually in the river.

3. Likes dean_mt liked this post

A plastic trash bag in your pack with the top folded over makes it extra waterproof.

5. Likes ts47 liked this post

I'm resurrecting this thread because i'm in the market for a waterproof backpack. It doesnt come down to hiking or bulk or anything like that for me. I wet wade rivers frequently and I want something that's great to take in my boat (my boat bag seems to take up half of the boat i swear). Not looking to be convinced of a different kind of pack - i likely have them anyhow, just looking for some opinions/advice on what I'm deciding between: Do i go with a roll-top bag or a Zippered one?

By all standards, the zippered ones (those like Patagonia Stormfront, simms has one) are more expensive (typically $300). Compare that to the roll tops around $150.

The people i've talked to swear by the roll tops both because of price and because they think they're the more waterproof of the two types. That said, i dont plan on swimming with mine unless i fall, but that would be a quick dip. It's more for rain, peace of mind when carrying a camera, etc.

They say the fact that they have to un-roll it doesnt matter at all. If i'm on my boat though, i'd like to be able to gain easy access through the zipper i think. Maybe that's not worth double the price though.

Anyone have experience with one or the other (or both)?

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Also tosss in 'REI' their gear is top knotch.

https://www.rei.com/
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I can't speak intelligently about what brands of packs you should look at, but I can tell you that roll-top bags are not necessarily more water-proof than zip bags. I have several roll-top general use bags ranging from small (25L) to XL (75L), and if you either over-pack them or simply don't roll them up properly, you're going to get water in them. The Simms zip packs are definitely water-proof, and probably so are any of the other name-brand offerings.

In either case, complete submersion of the bag for more than a few seconds will most likely result in some water leakage. But if you somehow end up with your bag completely submerged for several minutes, you probably have other, more pressing problems than how much water leaks into your bag.

For myself, I just went with the less expensive option, which is how I ended up with half a dozen roll-tops.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

9. Likes spm, el_deanyo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    But if you somehow end up with your bag completely submerged for several minutes, you probably have other, more pressing problems than how much water leaks into your bag.
    My thoughts exactly... This is for the occasional dip - i have no intent to submerge any type of pack for an extended period of time. If i do, then like you said, the pack is the least of my worries.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thunderhead Submersible Backpack - Shale

I've had issues with stuff in my day pack getting wet, so I made the switch to the Fishpond Thunderhead.

It is absolutely bombproof and waterproof.

The downside is that it is just one large compartment, kinda a bottomless pit, and whatever ever I'm looking for always seems to be on the very bottom

Also, no doubt due to the extreme waterproofness, the zipper is kinda hard to open and close.

It has the ability to carry an rod tube on the outside, and there is one very small zippered pocket on the outside for small stuff like a fishing license.

There is also a small inside pocket as well.

I think it would be hard to wear this pack with a fanny pack though.
    -Rick Allen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123