Waterproof backpack ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm looking for a waterproof backpack , the usual suspects Simms , Umpqua ect. Any comments or anyone know of a sale or closeout ? Looking to hump a few extras for the day , lunch , some clothes , rod tube and bugger box.

Note: I need it to ride high enough when I am wearing a Ledges waist pack ?

Any thoughts on the Simms dry creek ?

Anyone know of these:

https://www.drycase.com/lp/waterproof-backpack/

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
I bought a Fishpond Westwater sling pack at Steep and Cheap dot com and I noticed that they still have them listed.

It's not a full backpack, one strap across the body, but it quite a good size. For the price I couldn't resist. I think they are less than $70.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have one but will share some thoughts based on a few experiences. Two years ago I fished with a guy who had a Simms which was loaded for bear. In the course of the day I believe we hiked about 2 miles up river maybe a little more through rough terrain. By rough I mean along the edge of a canyon scampering along the cut bedrock which was exposed but it was lying at about a 35 to 55* angle. He carried the load up but as he fished back down was placing it on shore so he could cast without the load on his back.

You know the drill, every time he wanted to make a move he had to wade to shore and fetch the pack before continuing down river. I could see that although having half his tackle along for the day it was becoming a burden so I took his pack. Now I wasn't fishing but was carrying a rod just in case an extra rod would be needed. The pack got to be a load for me as well, by late afternoon when we reached where the boat had been left I was tired and the muscles from neck to waist knew it wasn't a normal day.

This past season two different guys used the same packs and although I didn't carry the packs for them I felt that the packs were slowing them down with having to walk back to pick them up once reaching the end of a run.

I have used a plain old water resistant Jansport to haul food, tackle, and a DSLR along already and I only ever did that twice. If necessary I will carry one with lunches in it but that's all I carry, no rod no nothing. If you can possibly scale your tackle needs down to what can fit in pockets or a small pouch it will make an easier day. If you are a guide or you are taking the family along and must carry a bunch then the packs are the only way to go I guess.

Before I began using my interchangeable mini head weighted leader system I used to carry 2 extra spools loaded with different lines as well as more flies and leader spools than I needed. I wore a Flison strap vest over a loaded jacket and always had sore upper back and shoulders by days end. Little by little I scaled things down to the point where I have only what I need. If I discover that it would have been better if I would have had X - Y - Z and a few others along I fish anyway with what I have and do the best I can to catch something. Given a choice between having days where I may have caught more fish had I had a bunch more stuff with or traveling light and making the best of it, I go light every time.

Obviously I am not a sales rep for packs. They are cool but they are not like not carrying a pack. That's the catch,

Ard

dean_mt

Reaction score
Ard, I agree that carrying a full daypack will probably be more of a hindrance that help most of the time. I assume the packs you are talking about are the full daypack size, not just a "half-day" or whatever. When planning a big trip it can be hard to decided what to take and what not. I have been struggling with it for years. Every time I go day hunting for big game it's the same thing...but of course a bit different. That pack has to be prepared for much more than just having the right flies: knives, first aid, survival kit, rope, layers, water...

I fished once this past summer with my regular daypack on. I knew I'd be out all day walking the river and would need water, lunch, and somewhere to stash my jacket - late summer days range from 45* in the morning to 80* midday. In the end, it was pain in the ass. Having to take off a back pack to get to a different fly box sucks when you're standing knee deep trying to fool rising fish. Which is why I like the sling pack design and pulled the trigger on that Fishpond pack, it was too good of a price.

With that waterproof sling I can confidently carry my good camera, which I never do normally. I also am pretty serious about carrying water if I know I'll be out for more than an hour or two and I've never had a vest that was any good at carrying water and rain jacket. Those big pockets in the back don't let you get water when you want it without taking off the vest. Yeah, it's a minor inconvenience but an annoyance at any rate that I don't care for. The sling will swallow a water bottle and compressed light weight rain shell along with a couple boxes. And you can get inside of it while standing in the water. But it is not big enough to weigh it down like a pack.

J

james w 3 3

I had tried the daypack I used to use hunting, then a sling pack. Hated them both as too bulky and unstable for steep western terrain.
I went with a backpack made for endurance running and climbing by Mountain Hardwear, small slim close fitting. My Cliff bar, water, first aid kit, rain shell, etc, all go in there. It's got two small pouches on the waist belt where tippet etc go, and my two tiny fly boxes are in my shirt pockets.
That's all I carry, that's all I need.
I go with a high mobility minimalist set up. I can always relocate my fumbling overloaded friends later. ;)

smilingduck

Reaction score
It's not waterproof but I use my CamelBack Backpack designed for mountain biking. The shoulder straps are contoured around your shoulders so during casting it doesn't get in the way. It has a large reservoir for water and has straps on the outside to make your load tight and ride in the middle of the back. They sell waterproof covers but I just thrown all my gear in a roll up dry bag. It works really good and can carry plenty.

silver creek

Reaction score
As a fly fisher who does not use a backpack, how often would you need the waterproofing? What is the purpose for a fly fisher?

Is it so you can wade deeper?

itchmesir

Reaction score
As a fly fisher who does not use a backpack, how often would you need the waterproofing? What is the purpose for a fly fisher?

Guess that depends if the person is a fair weather fisherman...

Personally some of the best fishing is done in the rain... Mainly because it keeps everyone else on the couch ;)

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
I use a small camelbak but I don't carry the water pack I use that area for storage(heads, tippits, yaktracks) Water is important though. Look into the Sawyer squeeze filter. You can drink directly from a 16oz pouch or it will screw onto most plastic bottles. Its light and small enough to fit in a sandwich bag, reusable,cleanable, safe.
Some camelbak's have a waterproof cover, but of course that wont help if you fall in.
LL bean has a versatile kennebec switch pack to consider.

J

james w 3 3

:p
I've seen people who sometime adopt the stealthy horizontal wading position, often allowing the water to carry them downstream a bit to get into position.

eastfly66

Reaction score

Rain days are a built in excuse for me to hit the river , as a general rule I don't work when it rains ....that and I hate soggy sandwiches :)

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

I wore a Flison strap vest
mmmm....some good points Ard, I was thinking it might be more of a PIA than it is worth , have to give this a little more thought , seemed like a good idea this morning anyway. Maybe I'll just take my Filson FW when I need to pack the extra junk/lunch.

jaybo41

Reaction score
There's a big difference between waterproof and water resistant when it comes to packs. Think of a rain shell vs. a vest of some sorts. I have a pack that I treated with waterproofing spray that you'd put on a tent. Does it work? Sure if you're talking about the occasional showers or sprinkles but once it gets to a point, it holds the water, makes the pack heavier and can bleed through.

Waterproof on the other hand will not hold the water and if you need to wade deep, nothing is getting inside it. I'm not the tallest guy in the world and one pack I have is most certainly is 100% waterproof. It was submerged a few times chasing fish down the PM and probably kept me a buoyant at times too. Aside from the materials, the zippers make a big difference. The good ones are pricy but worth it if you are looking for waterproof.

The trick to using any pack or vest is to take what you need and not to overpack. With a day pack I found myself taking it off often but with a sling i just keep on fishing and don't bother taking it off. I can fit fly boxes in a jacket or in my waders, along with most everything else I need, the exceptions being I need a place for my thermos, water and depending on the weather, someplace to put my layers if I need to peel.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Have a big breakfast, and bring a life straw. No need to carry lunch or water ;)

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

dean_mt

Reaction score
Whatever works for you! When my blood sugar crashes I'm not very fun to be around, even for myself. I can get by on a couple Cliff Bars and I'll never consider a water bottle to be extraneous gear.

Some people thrive on the "minimalist" mantra, and I think it's cool. I love the idea of it and tried to go that route only to find it just didn't fit my way of working. I did manage to parse down the number of boxes and stuff I carry, but I ain't no minimalist! The problem is that the minimalist mantra became a bit trendy and all of sudden if a guy wants to carry the kitchen sink in his 47 pocket Simms ultra G force vest he gets ridiculed. We all fish our own way, and usually that way has evolved over years.

To each his own!

Last edited:

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Whatever works for you! When my blood sugar crashes I'm not very fun to be around, even for myself. I can get by on a couple Cliff Bars and I'll consider a water bottle to be extraneous gear.

Some people thrive on the "minimalist" mantra, and I think it's cool. I love the idea of it and tried to go that route only to find it just didn't fit my way of working. I did manage to parse down the number of boxes and stuff I carry, but I ain't no minimalist! The problem is that the minimalist mantra became a bit trendy and all of sudden if a guy wants to carry the kitchen sink in his 47 pocket Simms ultra G force vest he gets ridiculed. We all fish our own way, and usually that way has evolved over years.

To each his own!
No minimalist or trendy going on here. Just sheer laziness, nothing more, Im not going to try and sugar coat it. Hell, I lug a dslr with two lenses around. More of started for me with water. Fish in the high desert in the summer for a full day, and you can need up to two gallons. It gets rediculous. I love my life straw, best 20 bucks I think Ive ever spent. Just make sure your waters dont have chemical pollution. And i just dont like making, packing, then having to stop and eat lunch. So if I do a full day, I'll stop by Jack in The box and get a large sized ultimate breakfast or something that has like 1500 calories
The more I dont have to do before, during, and after fishing the more I get to actually fish.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk