Wading- How do you protect your smart phone?

9iron

Reaction score
How is everyone carrying their smartphones?

I used to wear Patagonia Watermaster chest waders, they had an attached interior pouch that was a very heavy plastic with zip closure followed by a fold over with velcro. It was very secure and water tight. This same attached pouch is inside my Patagonia Sling Pack and again works perfectly. These days I either wade wet or wear waist high wading pants in cold weather, and I've gotten rather tired of the sling pack for short trips on my home water, which is most of my fishing these days. I've taken to wearing a small Fishpond chest pack on my belt as it fits my minimalist tendencies.

So, I've been hunting around for a similar-to 'the Patagonia attached protective pouch' for my phone (which will fit in the chest pack I use). Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find this basic and simple yet perfect item. Simms makes a couple, but they are either too small or too large (and designed to attach to their waders). I broke down and bought one of those cheap waterproof cell phone pouches on Ebay, the ones that zip close and have the plastic clip that supposedly secures the zip closure. Cheap POS fell apart within the first week.

What is everyone using? I have a rather large smart phone, an LG Optimus G Pro, about the same size a s the new iPhone 6S plus or whatever it's called. It's pretty big.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Two 'freezer grade' sandwich sized zip lock bags. A bit hard to find but the gallon size are easy to find and probably more appropriate if you have one of the newer 'flat screen' cell phones. New style of zip locks have a triple seal lock on top and really are 'water proof.'

fae

goshawk87

Reaction score
It might be a little redneck, but I normally throw my phone into a ziplock bag while waterfowl hunting. You can still work the screen through the bag, and it makes it reasonably waterproof. It works great for quick drops, I don't know how well it would hold up to prolonged submersion. If it's a bigger phone, you might have to use a bigger bag, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that fits.

Edit: dang it, Fred beat me too it.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Waterproof-JOTO-Motorola-diagonal/dp/B00LBK7OSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454511634&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+phone+case"]Amazon.com: Universal Waterproof Case, JOTO Cell Phone Dry Bag for Apple iPhone 6S 6,6S Plus, 5S 7, Samsung Galaxy S7, S6 Note 5 4, HTC LG Sony Nokia Motorola up to 6.0" diagonal (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510j0FcJRGL.@@AMEPARAM@@510j0FcJRGL[/ame]

9iron

Reaction score
I have one of these:
Yeah, that's the one I bought that wasn't worth the trouble (for me, anyhow). The material used on the Patagonia bags is about 5 times heavier, the zip closure much heavier and more durable. The plastic clip on the cheap bag doesn't actually do anything to aid in sealing and is a PIA to fumble with and mine broke in a week. Probably better off with a couple of freezer bags. Glad if it works for you but I found it inadequate and wouldn't want to trust my $500 phone to in a dunking.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Cool looking 'bit 'o kit' if you have a flat screen type of cell phone. A lot of us 'old timers' just want a cell phone, couldn''t care less for all the other bells and whistles, still using the small 'brick' shaped thing. 15'ish years old, only thing I've had to do was replace the battery a couple of times. Actually dropped the thing in the river, took the battery off, stuck it on the dash board (in the sun), back up and running an hour later.:thumbsupu

Battery wise, last time appears to be the last, batteries are no longer available. I'm going to be dragged (kicking and screaming:rolleyes:) into the 21'st Century at some point.:mad:

fae

lee_smn

Reaction score
I do the same thing with freezer bags but I double them up. Has always been fine even if I take a spill. That said I rarely get service where I fish and am planning on getting a waterproof camera and leaving the phone in the truck.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one I bought that wasn't worth the trouble (for me, anyhow). The material used on the Patagonia bags is about 5 times heavier, the zip closure much heavier and more durable. The plastic clip on the cheap bag doesn't actually do anything to aid in sealing and is a PIA to fumble with and mine broke in a week. Probably better off with a couple of freezer bags. Glad if it works for you but I found it inadequate and wouldn't want to trust my $500 phone to in a dunking.
This isn't my exact one but similar. Mine is really thick plastic and it does seal well. There are a bunch of these out there. It isn't the most convenient thing in the world but I can use the phone while it in in the bag.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Ummm.... I don't take my phone fishing. ;)
Sometimes I am on standby for work and I have to. It's either that or don't fish. I'll take the phone...lol.

9iron

Reaction score
Ummm.... I don't take my phone fishing. ;)
I have only two choices, take my phone with me when I go fishing or don't go fishing. My job requires me to be on call all day every day. I have literally been standing in the river at 10:30 in the morning, phone rings, wade to the bank to check it, find an ASAP message and have to dash back to the truck. My collective bargaining agreement requires me to report to work within 1 hour of a call. Sucks, but it's how I feed the kids and the union pay is too good to turn down. There's no other job around in my field that pays nearly as well, so some times you just have to suck it up. As soon as ai hit retirement (a few more years) I'll be like Fred and keep a simple small phone for emergencies only.

labradorguy

Reaction score
I have only two choices, take my phone with me when I go fishing or don't go fishing. My job requires me to be on call all day every day. I have literally been standing in the river at 10:30 in the morning, phone rings, wade to the bank to check it, find an ASAP message and have to dash back to the truck. My collective bargaining agreement requires me to report to work within 1 hour of a call. Sucks, but it's how I feed the kids and the union pay is too good to turn down. There's no other job around in my field that pays nearly as well, so some times you just have to suck it up. As soon as ai hit retirement (a few more years) I'll be like Fred and keep a simple small phone for emergencies only.
Got to pay the bills.

ts47

Reaction score
I'll leave my phone in the truck if I can. I also own a waterproof camera. When I need to keep something dry on the water, the wife has all manner of Ziploc storage from snack size, to sandwich, quart, gallon and one size even bigger. They work for wallets, phones, cigars, fishing license or storing feathers and fur at home. My Orvis Sliver Sonics do have a pouch as well.

plecain

Reaction score
I've tried at least three of the dedicated waterproof phone bags.
I always come back to the freezer bags.
The dedicated holders have always leaked or had closures that failed.
The freezer bags are available anywhere and work well.

boisker

Reaction score
If you're not bothered about the digital camera on the smart phone for fishing- then buy a cheaper waterproof /shock proof phone for fishing and just switch over the SIM card or divert calls to the cheap phone while fishing.
You could pick one up for $100.... Saves worrying about your business phone.

cab

Reaction score
I bring a camera for pics, otherwise I go fishing to get away from the durn phone.

9iron must pay the bills, understood.

CAB