Alternative Wading Boots...

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
This last trip to Gates Au Sable Lodge, late night a younger fellow (maybe early 30's) from Iowa perhaps, maybe Texas (can't recall) headed out to wade the stretch in front of the lodge. The first thing to catch my eye was that he was using a rod that had a fighting butt. Too much gun I assumed, but never the less I then noted along with his higher end waders (or so they looked), he was wearing some odd boots.

At first I thought they were boot-foot waders from the style of them. Yet on closer inspection, I noted that they were simply an economy slip on boot due to being so high on the calf. No laces, just pull them on and go harder nitrile/neoprene rubber boots. Not even the scent free kind for hunting. Just a slip on rubber boot with that slick cloth liner like you might use to muck out stalls, work a fishing trawler or walk around dew covered fields.

At first I scoffed, and then I took a step back from my "smuggery" and considered my Simms G3's that had been drying for 36 hours and were still soaked. That were so stiff it is as though you have no ankles or feet which move. The more I thought about it, I realized the pure genius of this guys choice.

Not only would this sort of boot dry in no time, it would also allow you to move your feet and ankles (you know, like God intended, crazy as that may be). By chance I ran into this guy when he came back in and thinking to ask if he was streamer fishing, I just had to ask about the boots...Unfortunately I think it embarrassed him. He stated how he had made a quick trip to Alaska and needed them once there, and in that they were cheap just bought them, yet continued using them (as though a disposable commodity so inexpensive (think he said like $30)).

Though I told him I thought it was a fantastic idea I don't think he believed me...However, I'm seriously considering doing the same. I know how quick they dry, how good they feel once on, and though I might need some with laces to keep them on my chicken legs, think I have finally discovered a boot for me.

I hate these G3 clunkers. It took them a good week+ to dry in this humidity, and when I wear them, I might as well have peg legs for how well they move.

Just thought I'd pass it along. His get-by idea in my opinion a great one! :thumbsup:

B.E.F.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
You mean wellies ?
I would think that when they fill with water, it would be like wearing anchors on your feet

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
You mean wellies ?
I would think that when they fill with water, it would be like wearing anchors on your feet
Very 'old School,' and cheap "Wellies" they were waaaaay back in the day. Now a-days good boots are easy on/off boots are common, back then they were beyond many of our wallets.:rolleyes:

As to filling with water ... indeed they did but cut a couple of holes at the bottom (instep area) and they'd drain PDQ. While in the river ... who cared? As for the boot bottoms, a tube of Barge Cement, a bit of 'indoor/out door' carpet and good to go.

fae

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
You mean wellies ?
Wasn't it Lee Wulff who said "water weighs the same as water"? Though not an accurate and direct quote, I recall reading about him diving off a bridge to prove that waders filled with water DON'T pull you down. Don't get me wrong, they feel like they are, but only when you're out of water.

More so, those G3's, in fact all my wading boots not only fill up with water, yet soak it up retaining it. How is it any different? The only thing I might do is add a few drain holes and eyelets along the insole line to help drain the rubber boot.

In fact come to think of it...I have a pair of old hippers I use which leak like sieves, yet when I work in the canal they keep the leaches off. I have no problems with those, until I get on shore...Naturally they fill quickly, yet don't drain as fast.

I'm seriously considering this...I think it's a good idea.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Very 'old School,' and cheap "Wellies" they were waaaaay back in the day. Now a-days good boots are easy on/off boots are common, back then they were beyond many of our wallets.:rolleyes:

As to filling with water ... indeed they did but cut a couple of holes at the bottom (instep area) and they'd drain PDQ. While in the river ... who cared? As for the boot bottoms, a tube of Barge Cement, a bit of 'indoor/out door' carpet and good to go.
Heh, posted as I was...now I'm even more encouraged :thumbsup:

B.E.F.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This last trip to Gates Au Sable Lodge, late night a younger fellow (maybe early 30's) from Iowa perhaps, maybe Texas (can't recall) headed out to wade the stretch in front of the lodge. The first thing to catch my eye was that he was using a rod that had a fighting butt. Too much gun I assumed, but never the less I then noted along with his higher end waders (or so they looked), he was wearing some odd boots.

At first I thought they were boot-foot waders from the style of them. Yet on closer inspection, I noted that they were simply an economy slip on boot due to being so high on the calf. No laces, just pull them on and go harder nitrile/neoprene rubber boots. Not even the scent free kind for hunting. Just a slip on rubber boot with that slick cloth liner like you might use to muck out stalls, work a fishing trawler or walk around dew covered fields.

At first I scoffed, and then I took a step back from my "smuggery" and considered my Simms G3's that had been drying for 36 hours and were still soaked. That were so stiff it is as though you have no ankles or feet which move. The more I thought about it, I realized the pure genius of this guys choice.

Not only would this sort of boot dry in no time, it would also allow you to move your feet and ankles (you know, like God intended, crazy as that may be). By chance I ran into this guy when he came back in and thinking to ask if he was streamer fishing, I just had to ask about the boots...Unfortunately I think it embarrassed him. He stated how he had made a quick trip to Alaska and needed them once there, and in that they were cheap just bought them, yet continued using them (as though a disposable commodity so inexpensive (think he said like $30)).

Though I told him I thought it was a fantastic idea I don't think he believed me...However, I'm seriously considering doing the same. I know how quick they dry, how good they feel once on, and though I might need some with laces to keep them on my chicken legs, think I have finally discovered a boot for me.

I hate these G3 clunkers. It took them a good week+ to dry in this humidity, and when I wear them, I might as well have peg legs for how well they move.

Just thought I'd pass it along. His get-by idea in my opinion a great one! :thumbsup:

B.E.F.
I am almost embarrassed to say; after being so disappointed with wading boots...I have on several occasions and including this summer, minus the felt sole.

I buy the 24$ hiking boot at Walmart a size to big and glue a felt sole to it after hitting the sole with a grinder. Best wading boots for the money.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
I am almost embarrassed to say; after being so disappointed with wading boots...I have on several occasions and including this summer, minus the felt sole.

I buy the 24$ hiking boot at Walmart a size to big and glue a felt sole to it after hitting the sole with a grinder. Best wading boots for the money.
Here in Michigan we don't need felt (which as a soft soil Easterner I can state without hesitation that I have no idea how someone can fish out west without it...Night and day difference). In any case, what I'd really like to find are a set of unlined "Ducks." Pure comfort with a thick pair of wool socks (and with waders, or even just neoprene booties there is your padding). I'm thinking along that line for the laces which will just make them fit even better.

They can be had for roughly $20-30 at WalMart and the like...

I've only wore my G3's like 5x, they make me crazy, can't stand em, and I get sick of waiting days for them to dry.

B.E.F.

fredaevans

Reaction score
"Wasn't it Lee Wulff who said "water weighs the same as water"? Though not an accurate and direct quote, I recall reading about him diving off a bridge to prove that waders filled with water DON'T pull you down. Don't get me wrong, they feel like they are, but only when you're out of water."

Indeed he did. The other thing (if you're sporting chest waders) is a WIDE tight belt around the top. Best for that, and 'cheap,' were 'Military style' belts. Sinch that thing down to keep water out and you'll float like a cork if you take a full on dump in the river.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have four pair of wading boots from Simms, Cabelas and Orvis.

My favorite is My Orvis Riverguard ultralights, very comfortable, I have used them wet wading and with waders, climbed through swamps and boulder, scaled cliffs etc. The only time they let me down was on granite slabs then the metal studs acted like marbles. They did not get great reviews and they do not sell them anymore but, they are so comfortable to me.

I also really like my Simms riprap shoes for wet wading in the summer.

The weirdest shoe I have worn wading that was surprisingly very good was a pair of Docksider boat shoes with the white rubber sole and sipping for walking on wet decks, I jumped out of my car to go fish some risers one time and was surprised at how well those worked crossing the stream and walking on the rocks. Of course they would pull right off in the mud.

As a kid my wading boot of choice was hi-top Converse All-star sneakers in canvas. Never even thought of using anything else back then.

dean_mt

Reaction score
No thanks. Personally, I do not want my ankles rolling around inside rubber boots while navigating boulder fields or slick bowling bowls. I understand the river bottoms in Michigan are completely different and those may work on the sandy beds.

I also don't want to sit down and empty my boots once I get out of deep water.

fredaevans

Reaction score
No thanks. Personally, I do not want my ankles rolling around inside rubber boots while navigating boulder fields or slick bowling bowls. I understand the river bottoms in Michigan are completely different and those may work on the sandy beds.

I also don't want to sit down and empty my boots once I get out of deep water.
You bring up an excellent point; where that's going to be an issue I keep these guys in the Jeep (think North Fork of the Umpqaua River-fly only water):

Best Ankle Braces 2016 Compare | Best Reviews Guide

Gerard

Reaction score
These are what I wear for saltwater wading, sooooo much better, more comfortable and tougher than the Simm and Patagucci boots. Fraction heavier but worth it.
Hi-Tec Para boots

rodteague

Reaction score
My all time favorite cheap wading boots are mil-surp jungle boots. They already have the drain holes built in; add gravel guards and keep the leather bits lathered in mink oil or sno-seal and you're gtg. They are also great for wet wading as well. If you stop and think about it; they were designed for a similar purpose, and have served our troops well for nearly 5 decades of sloshing thru swamps and jungles.

Regards

Rod

lanyard

Reaction score
I spent six hours on Sunday in a swift and deep (in places) river. I think a stiffer ankle would really help. OTOH, climbing up and down the banks could be made more difficult.

burk48237

Reaction score
Until I invested in a pair of Chota Caney Forks, the best wearing and most comfortable wading boats I owned were the old Winbrenner Gary Borgers.

But the lightweight, comfortable, supportive, and reasonably priced Chotas work for me. And yes I've owned Patagonia and Simms.

J

james w 3 3

I am a little surprised but happy to see so much out-of-the-box and marketing-be-damned thinking! :clap:

My favorite boots are a pair of 5-10 Canyoneering boots which, for my streams in the Sierras, are perfect for the situations in which I find myself. Unbelievable grip on wet granite is what I needed and got.

Use what works best for YOU, where YOU fish.