Question about waders other than Simms.

thumper360

Reaction score
I have a quick question for you guys. I'm researching waders because I need a new pair that will last. My question is, is there any waders than are as good and have a warranty like Simms. I'm the type that doesn't like to have a "fad" product. I know Simms isn't really a fad, but I just see a lot of that have their Simms decals side by side with their "Yeti" and "salt life" decals on the back of their trucks. Having said that, it seems through my research, that Simms truly seem to have the best reviews. So, please someone talk me out of buying Simms, lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JoJer

Reaction score
I've never owned them, too pricey for me. But, they are the most expensive at the top of the line. There are lots of good reasons they can get that kind price.

el jefe

Reaction score
The thing about Simms waders (their high line products) is that they are Gore-Tex, Gore-Tex is awesome, and Gore-Tex limits its licenses to just a handful of companies. If you prefer Gore-Tex waders, there aren't many options, since Cloudveil folded. There are other companies that make breathable, waterproof waders, but for Gore-Tex, there may not be any other offering outside of Simms. I have not tried Patagonia, Orvis, Redington, etc., but short of space travel, I think Gore-Tex is one of mankind's greatest inventions, so that leads me to Simms.

thumper360

Reaction score
The thing about Simms waders (their high line products) is that they are Gore-Tex, Gore-Tex is awesome, and Gore-Tex limits its licenses to just a handful of companies. If you prefer Gore-Tex waders, there aren't many options, since Cloudveil folded. There are other companies that make breathable, waterproof waders, but for Gore-Tex, there may not be any other offering outside of Simms. I have not tried Patagonia, Orvis, Redington, etc., but short of space travel, I think Gore-Tex is one of mankind's greatest inventions, so that leads me to Simms.
Yeah, I just noticed the Goretex thing tonight while researching. I probably will end up with Simms. I will save the decal for the garage, not the truck, lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

dakotakid

Reaction score
Have never owned Simms waders, but believe they are one of the best brands. Please note that not all Simms waders use Gore-Tex, just their higher end waders.

It should also be noted that as great as Gore-Tex is, there are competitive products that are just as good. Gore-Tex was the best breathable product when it was introduced, but competitive technologies have improved considerably since then. It's my impression the difference is now minimal vs some of the better competition.

Would love to have Simms waders, but too pricey. I bought Redington Sonic-Pro instead (do not contain Gore-Tex) and like them a lot. Don't know if their warranty is as good as Simms, because I haven't had any problems with them. You probably won't regret buying Simms with Gore-Tex if you can afford it.

JDR

Reaction score
I am an unapologetic Patagonia fan boy. Since its inception, Patagonia has been the company that has developed more high-tech fabrics than any other company I can think of. They were one of the first companies to use Gore-Tex, then developed their own fabric, called H2NO. Gore-Tex is good and well promoted, but it is not the only quality fabric with waterproof breathability. I own the Patagonia Gunnison Gorge wading pants. They are excellent, and Patagonia's warranty is legendary.

S

smcnearn

I have to say my simms waders and boots almost always disappoint me in their longevity on the stream.

I am at the point where I will likely be trying the new line of Patagonia waders that came out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
For 25 or so years I've been getting my waders from Cabelas and I've never had a single issue.
Not once.
Their waders are their only product that I have that kind of loyalty for.

plecain

Reaction score
I have a set of Redington Sonic Pro, waist-high version. Two years with no problems, not even pinhole leaks.

I also have a set of Cabela's waders that I use almost exclusively for saltwater. So far, no problems with those, either.

The only waders that gave me problems were LL Bean - two pairs in one season. They replaced the first pair. I gave up after the second pair. They gave me a refund.

photoguy

Reaction score
Check out the Orvis line. Mine are going on 3 years and have held up very well, and the guarantee is the best I've found. In fact I bought a pair of the low end Orvis wading boots at the same time as the waders. Last year, the front seam where the boot meets the sole started to separate and I brought them into the store to see if they could recommend a repair. Store manager walked into the back room and came out with a new pair in the box and said "here, take these...''

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I love my Simms waders. The only problem I have with them is every once in awhile I get called a douchbag for no apparent reason.
Besides that, they are fine.
Don't be late for the Driftless get-together. That would be a real D-bag move. And if it's not too much trouble please put some duct tape over the Simms logo if you are going to fish very close to me.

This place entertains me. I'll get some mileage out of this one. :D

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Don't be late for the Driftless get-together. That would be a real D-bag move. And if it's not too much trouble please put some duct tape over the Simms logo if you are going to fish very close to me.

This place entertains me. I'll get some mileage out of this one. :D
Make sure you get there early for a group photo around the Yeti cooler.:thumbsupu

S

smcnearn

Check out the Orvis line. Mine are going on 3 years and have held up very well, and the guarantee is the best I've found. In fact I bought a pair of the low end Orvis wading boots at the same time as the waders. Last year, the front seam where the boot meets the sole started to separate and I brought them into the store to see if they could recommend a repair. Store manager walked into the back room and came out with a new pair in the box and said "here, take these...''

Yea my simms wading boots are 6 months old. Stitching is popping, back strap ripped off, pho leather is cracking like crazy.

Called simms warranty department and they were unsure if they could do anything for me. I know Patagonia has better customer service than that and it alone maybe why I switch....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
2013 Dan Bailey Wader Shootout

Regarding Gortex, according to the Dan Bailey humidity test, the non-Gotex breathables scored a better than the Gortex waders.

"Gore-Tex vs other Waterproof/breathable coated fabrics – which is better?

While we’re on the topic of myth busters, we know that Gore has made a huge campaign over the years to convince everyone that Gore-Tex® is far more breathable than any of the other waterproof/breathable fabrics. From our experiences in the past and our breathability tests in our wader workout, we think that we can say with confidence that both technologies produce very comfortable and breathable waders.

In our Wader Workout, the relative humidity readings of almost all the waders were in the range of 55-70%. Our only totally non-breathable wader, the old Red Ball was at 99%, so this gives us the perfect baseline for a non-breathable wader. For all the other waders in our Shootout, drawing any valid conclusions on one fabric being more breathable than others was just not possible. Suffice it to say that the best waders were all very good in terms of breathability. The Patagonia and Dan Bailey waders (which do not use Gore-Tex®, actually felt marginally more comfortable and gave us lower averages in humidity during both the shop wear and wader workout tests."

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
2013 Dan Bailey Wader Shootout

Regarding Gortex, according to the Dan Bailey humidity test, the non-Gotex breathables scored a better than the Gortex waders.

"Gore-Tex vs other Waterproof/breathable coated fabrics – which is better?

While we’re on the topic of myth busters, we know that Gore has made a huge campaign over the years to convince everyone that Gore-Tex® is far more breathable than any of the other waterproof/breathable fabrics. From our experiences in the past and our breathability tests in our wader workout, we think that we can say with confidence that both technologies produce very comfortable and breathable waders.

In our Wader Workout, the relative humidity readings of almost all the waders were in the range of 55-70%. Our only totally non-breathable wader, the old Red Ball was at 99%, so this gives us the perfect baseline for a non-breathable wader. For all the other waders in our Shootout, drawing any valid conclusions on one fabric being more breathable than others was just not possible. Suffice it to say that the best waders were all very good in terms of breathability. The Patagonia and Dan Bailey waders (which do not use Gore-Tex®, actually felt marginally more comfortable and gave us lower averages in humidity during both the shop wear and wader workout tests."

Silver, I am at work and can't post a link right now but I seem to remember that the Yellowstone Angler wader shootout had the G3's by Simms rated slightly above the Patagonia's and Dan Baily's for lower averages of humidity in shop and in the field. I will look that up when I get home, although the ratings for all 3 were similar and all 3 performed very well

Kevin

scoutm

Reaction score
Hodgman® H5 Stocking Foot | Hodgman®

I know a couple of guys who have these waders and they have gotten multiple seasons on them and they are going strong...I would have bought them as well but I had a blow out on my cheapo waders in the middle of an early spring trip and the only replacements available were Simms - They are great though and have no regrets other than going cheap on my earlier purchase.