Costa 580 Lens - Most Versatile Color

walantx

Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a pair of Costa 580G and would recommendations on most versatile lens color for western rivers. Green mirror, gray, silver copper mirror or copper. Thank you.

silver creek

Reaction score
Get a copper tinted lens.

I must have 4 Costa 580s and 2 Maui Jims. All are glass So I agree with the choice of glass lenses vs the plastic.

All my lenses are copper tinted except for one of my Maui Jims which is a rose lens I use for dim light.

the best color for fishing is the color of the water or stream bottom that you are fishing in. So in my part of the country, our rivers have some tannin and the stream bottoms are generally a brownish color. I think that may be why copper is such a popular color.

Another theory that has science behind it is that the different colors in sunlight are refracted at different angles. Remember the RGBIV color spectrum from a prism? It so happens that indigo-violet light is not refracted to the same location on the retina as the red-green end of the spectrum. The stream bottoms have very little IV colors. Copper/brown lens colors filters out the indigo-violet end of the spectrum so these lens colors enhance contrast to pick out the fish in the stream.

The mirror outside coating (blue, green, etc) can be any color as long as the lens color is copper.

Seeing fish is about seeing edges. Increasing contrast allows us to see edges better. Edge recognition allows use to separate one object from another. That is why I think the copper end of the color spectrum are popular lens colors.

http://gearup.diversdirect.com/gear...ses-which-lenses-for-which-fishing-conditions

Sight Fishing: How Much Does Lens Color Matter in Polarized Glasses? | Field & Stream

Ask the Forum: Best Sunglasses Lens Color for Flats Fishing

https://www.vailvalleyanglers.com/blog/brody/fly-fishing-sunglasses-how-to-choose-a-lens-color

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Like Silver, I use GLASS copper tint most of the time or for cloudy, low light conditions, amber lenses. I eschew a mirror surface as all it does is reflect light allowing less to pass through the lens. Mine are Smiths but I thing Costa's are just as good.

iowa driftless

Reaction score
I use the green mirror lense from costa and really like the clarity and can tell a difference between them and my 50$ sunclouds. My only complaint is that the green mirror can be a little dark for overcast days and almost too dark during dawn/dusk periods. Their latest lense color seems to be geared towards those conditions.

I think you made a good call with the copper lense for a good all around lense and you won't be disappointed with the 580g.

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
This is an old post now, but I would definitely recommend a copper base color for a versatile freshwater lens. FYI, both the silver mirror and green mirror are on a copper base. The silver mirror has little if any affect on transmission and hue. The green mirror creates a more reddish shift and is a little darker. If your eyes are especially sensitive, you may do better with the blue mirror. Walk into a Costa dealer and try them on. I prefer the silver mirror myself, I can wear it dawn to dusk.

ratherfish

Reaction score
I have a pair of 580's but had to go with plastic lens because I need the cheaters and Costa, for some reason, don't offer cheaters in glass.

fita1300

Reaction score
The gray, silver mirror, and copper all have a 12% light transmission. The gray are for all around activities on land and water. The copper are use to cut glare for sight fishing and driving. The silver mirror (copper base) are for stream fishing and other environments with varying light. The 580s get their name from cutting the harsh yellow light at 580 nanometers. They also reduce high energy blue light from 400 to 425 nanometers. All this means the lens are clearer with less haze, while enhancing blues, reds, and greens.

SO there is the technical stuff I learned about them. IMO Copper or Silver mirror for stream fishing, depending on what is under the water - rocks, sand, and hopefully fish.

karstopo

Reaction score
Did he prescribe you some fishing glasses? I can see distant fine, its that little close up **** that gets me.
Prescription Sunglasses

I have prescription 580G Costas. I got them through my optometrist. Costa grinds their own prescriptions, the optometrist just gives them the data. I don’t know why they wouldn’t correct for whatever is up with your eyes. They aren’t cheap, though.

I have the copper base, green mirror. They are really outstanding on bright days cutting through the glare to peer into the water looking for fish and structure. They are liability at dawn and dusk. I just wear my normal glasses then.