Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question LL Bean Emerger Waist High's...

Hi-

I was looking into purchasing a pair of these and was wondering if they were in any good for the price?

After all, they do carry that nifty guarantee... :-)

Thanks,
    Sesro1978

Default Re: LL Bean Emerger Waist High's...

Hello sesro,
    I'm not too familiar with them, but being from 'Bean' with a great warrantee, they are probably going to work fine. if not, return them.

I do have a question for you though. Why only go with waist high's? why not spend a few dollars more and get a pair of chest highs that you can roll down and use the suspenders for a belt? that would open up your options as far as wading and water depth. Just something to think about....

3. Default Re: LL Bean Emerger Waist High's...

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Hello sesro,
    I'm not too familiar with them, but being from 'Bean' with a great warrantee, they are probably going to work fine. if not, return them.

I do have a question for you though. Why only go with waist high's? why not spend a few dollars more and get a pair of chest highs that you can roll down and use the suspenders for a belt? that would open up your options as far as wading and water depth. Just something to think about....
    Hi-

Good question; my answer is that in all my years fly-fishing (about 15) I've never gone in over my thighs...or at least on purpose ;-)

~Sesro1978

I hate it when that happens!

I wear chest highs myself, but only during cooler weather like Spring/Fall, or that occasional cold, wet, Summer storm that blows thrue, other than that I wet wade.

Blog Entries

I've been eyeing the LL Bean Goretex GQS waist highs. Cost more but they are Gore-Tex. My brother in law used to be in the sports apparel biz. They sold a lot of Gore-Tex stuff. It is an amazing fabric.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Hi Davo,

I ordered a pair of the full size Bean heavy duty GorTex waders and returned them. This was 3 years ago and they may have improved. The legs were too stiff and the feet were GorTex instead of neoprene. The legs would have been really tough but I couldn't get past how stiff they were. I see they are calling the GQS a lightweight wader and that may not be a problem with them. I also did not like the GorTex booty. It just didn't seem like a good way to make a booty. I think it was just a matter that I was use to the neoprene booty. My feet get real cold and I wanted the added warmth of the neoprene.

My comments may not have anything to do with the GQS waist-highs. I wanted to make sure you knew the booties are not neoprene. I didn't noticed that before I ordered the pair I got. That may be a good thing for some people but not what I wanted.

Frank

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Davo,

I ordered a pair of the full size Bean heavy duty GorTex waders and returned them. This was 3 years ago and they may have improved. The legs were too stiff and the feet were GorTex instead of neoprene. The legs would have been really tough but I couldn't get past how stiff they were. I see they are calling the GQS a lightweight wader and that may not be a problem with them. I also did not like the GorTex booty. It just didn't seem like a good way to make a booty. I think it was just a matter that I was use to the neoprene booty. My feet get real cold and I wanted the added warmth of the neoprene.

My comments may not have anything to do with the GQS waist-highs. I wanted to make sure you knew the booties are not neoprene. I didn't noticed that before I ordered the pair I got. That may be a good thing for some people but not what I wanted.

Frank
    Frank;
    Thanks for the heads up. I had noticed that the booties were Gore-Tex and not neoprene. If I order a pair I will check those out and if I don't like em they will go back. Though one of the ussual places I get leaks in my wades is the neoprene booties. After a few patches it starts to feel like you got rocks in your socks!! LOL.

Has any body used these before that can comment on the Gore-Tex booties?
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

The Bean waist highs look like they have neoprene feet:
    Breathable Emerger Waist-High Stockingfoot Waders, Men's: Breathable at L.L.Bean

I'm in the market for something that can take some abuse, and these
    look like they don't have to be babied. There's a Bean store 30 minutes from me, so I'll have to stop by....

GQS Gore-Tex Waders, Waist-High: Breathable at L.L.Bean
    The Bean GQS looks like a combo on neoprene and gore-tex. Maybe gore-tex over the neoprene???

10. Default Re: LL Bean Emerger Waist High's...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    The Bean waist highs look like they have neoprene feet:
    Breathable Emerger Waist-High Stockingfoot Waders, Men's: Breathable at L.L.Bean

I'm in the market for something that can take some abuse, and these
    look like they don't have to be babied. There's a Bean store 30 minutes from me, so I'll have to stop by....
    I picked up a pair of these a few weeks ago and so far, no complaints...although the little metal part that holds the gravel-guards to the boot came loose within minutes of using; not an issue though as I plan to return them when the fishing slows down a bit- till then I'm just using the elasticized band around the bottom of the gravel guard.

Other than that they're great! They really seem to stand up to bushwhacking and kneeling. Seams are strong and the large are long enough for me to pull up (I'm 6'2") if I get into some deeper water. Oh yea, and the breathability is good :-)

~Seth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast