Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

1. Default Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy stocking foot chest waders. I need a large size with a size 12 bootie. This seems to be a rare combination on the budget wader options (not available on less expensive Orvis or Simms versions).

Based on this information, it appears my main choices are the $399 Simms G3 Guide or the $349 Orvis Pro Guide 3. My local dealer will give me a 5% discount.

I was hoping to find a closeout version of last year's models, but I can't find anything in my size. The Cabela's $239 model is technically rated for a 9-12 foot, but from reading reviews fits tight and will probably not work.

So....what do you recommend?

2. Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

One other comment. Both the Orvis and Simms appear to be new for 2008 and I would like to know if anyone owns these new versions?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

--
    Doug

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

Well I don't know about anybody else but I've gone through enough pairs of waders in my fly fishing career both high and low priced. There is no way anybody could get close to $400.00 dollars out of me for a pair of waders. I have trouble wrapping my head around a pair half that price. Probably just me.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

4. Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

I found another alternative for a size 12 foot in a large. What about the Orvis Tailwaters XT Bootfoot?

My local dealer has a sale on these, so I could pick these up for about $300. One advantage....this price includes the boots.

yatesd,
    I can only offer an opinion on 'Simms' waders. I've got a pair of 'Guide weights' that are almost 10 yrs old and they have served me well, and are still being used.
    I have to admit that when they get wore out, I'm not sure I'll fork out the $650.00 to replace them. They did run me like $350.00 when I bought them though. If I knew they would wear like iron as these have, who knows?

i've sent you a private message.

eric
    fresno, ca.

7. Default Other Wader Options with size 12 foot in Large

Thanks for all your feedback. I never thought choosing waders would be such a difficult decision. I'll probably get something this week.

Anyway, here is an update:

I called my local flyshop on Friday (sells Orvis, Simms, and Patagonia). They said even though the Patagonias are labeled 9-11 in large that they should accomodate a size 12 foot. Evidently these are on sale at Ramsey Outdoor and I might check them out since I will be in NJ later today.

I also stumbled across a GQS wader at LLBean that retails for $249 and is available with a size 12 foot in large. I actually called LLBean last night and the guy was very helpful. He said it was probably the best wader they made, but wasn't as nice as the Simms (I expected this for the $150 price difference). Does anyone have any experience with this wader?

I will also be looking at Dan Baileys.

Blog Entries

yatesd;

Check out this thread, http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...gh-s-4419.html Frank posted some comments on the GQS waders.
    Davo

9. Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    yatesd;

Check out this thread, http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...gh-s-4419.html Frank posted some comments on the GQS waders.

Davo,

What waders did you end up getting? Did you try the GQS LL Beans?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
    Davo,

What waders did you end up getting? Did you try the GQS LL Beans?
    I have not order any yet. I did a major aquaseal patch job on my old Cabelas Dry plus waist highs. See if I can make another season. If I did not get all the leaks or I create new ones here in the pre runoff fishing then I will order a pair of the GQS and check them out. If I do end up ordering a pair I'll let you know. If you check them out first I'd like to hear your thoughts and impression.
    Davo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast