Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Wading Boots/Shoes

Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new pair of wading boots/shoes and need suggestions. I'm hoping to spend around $100.00 or less and do quite a bit of fishing in rocky streams in the northeast. So far I've been looking at the Orvis Ultra-light wading boots and the Orvis wading shoes (new this year I think)...

Any help in finding a good pair would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sesro1978

2. Default Re: Wading Boots/Shoes

My local flyshop seemed to discourage me from going with felt. I bought the shoes with the Aquastealth soles and then added studs (markings for placement are on shoe).

Simms Fishing Products : : Headwaters™ Wading Boot - AquaStealth®

I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I hope to do so this weekend.

Here's another option from LL Bean:
    Ultralight II Wading Boots, Studded Siped Aqua Stealth Soles: Wading Shoes at L.L.Bean

Default Re: Wading Boots/Shoes

Look into the Chota STL Plus studded boots. I have a pair & I love them. They run about $ 125.00..

4. Default Re: Wading Boots/Shoes

I second the Chota boots. Not only comfortable and well-made, they have a terrific speed lacing setup. You'll always be the first in your group to the stream.

The Simms Freestone boots are tough as hell and pretty cheap too.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

6. Default Re: Wading Boots/Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    The Simms Freestone boots are tough as hell and pretty cheap too.
    I ended up picking up a pair of LL Bean Ultralight II (Aquastealth with studs); the price seemed decent, the felt supportive around the ankles and Bean's is pretty close to my house so if something goes "awry" - well, can't beat the guarantee :-)

Thanks all!

Hi to all,

I have a question for FISHN50 and bmorejoe about the Chota STL Plus studded boots. I have read some reviews about the STL boot and people seem to like them. I have always stayed away from any shoe/boot that didn't have metal eyelets of some kind. The STL use a cloth eyelet and that seems to be a fault with the design. I just don't see them lasting as long as the rest of the boot. I know it is fast and I am not questioning how well they work but how long they will last. What do you guys think? Have you had yours long enough to know how long they are going to wear. I had one pair of tennis shoes with this style of eyelet and the eyelet failed long before the shoe was worn out.

Frank

Chota STL Plus Studded Boots

Hi Frank
    The laces are elastic & you have a push button slider doohickey to tighten them up so your never pulling them really tight. I can see where it can be a problem, but I'm on my second pair (only because I left the first pair home when I went on a trip & had to pick up the second pair in Colorado) & I use them 100+ days a year & have no trouble with the loops. I've replaced the elastic laces a few times with no trouble. The only trouble I have with them is that when they dry out they are a bear to put on over felt booties unless you soak them down to soften them up as they dry hard.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi to all,

I have a question for FISHN50 and bmorejoe about the Chota STL Plus studded boots. I have read some reviews about the STL boot and people seem to like them. I have always stayed away from any shoe/boot that didn't have metal eyelets of some kind. The STL use a cloth eyelet and that seems to be a fault with the design. I just don't see them lasting as long as the rest of the boot. I know it is fast and I am not questioning how well they work but how long they will last. What do you guys think? Have you had yours long enough to know how long they are going to wear. I had one pair of tennis shoes with this style of eyelet and the eyelet failed long before the shoe was worn out.

Frank
    Frank I can definitely identify with your take on this. If one of those nylon webbing loops fails, the boots will never really lace up right again. While the metal eyelets have potential to cause problems too (errant metal thrashes the lace to the point of failure), one could then mash down the metal and replace the laces. But a failed nylon loop is no good at all.

I can identify because I was working at a Patagonia FF boot dealer when they had a bad run of boots with pull on loops that would frequently pull out under normal duty. I still use any achilles area loop gingerly.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

The other problem I would be concerned about with the Chotas is that the laces are elastic. The lacing design looks similar to the Keen sandals that I wear. After several months, the elastic stretches and it becomes impossible to get the same degree of tightness that I had when I first purchased them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast