Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Question Strike Indicator

    Hi-

    I've been using the Orvis twist on foam strike indicators and so far I think they are so-so in terms of staying buoyant. Anyone use something else that they've had luck with; easy to see, stays buoyant, etc...

    Thanks!
    Sesro1978

    P.S. If my indicator continually slides beneath the surface does this mean I have it set too near the nymph and it needs to be higher on the leader...this does not refer to the quick duck -under of a fish on the fly but the consistent, under the surface type.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,393

    Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Hi sesro1978,

    We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

    Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

    Frank

    Orvis Twist-on Indicators

  3. Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi sesro1978,

    We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

    Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

    Frank

    Orvis Twist-on Indicators
    Hi Frank-

    I'm fishing in relatively fast water (spring run-off in the northeast). My indicator varies in distance from the fly but is usually 2'-4'. My leader is 9.5 feet and the water varies in depth from around 2' - 5'...

    Yep, that's the one or one that looks like it. Currently I *think* I'm using the large size indicator...

    Thanks,
    Seth

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,393

    Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Hi Seth,

    Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

    Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

    Frank

  5. Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Seth,

    Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

    Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

    Frank
    Hi Frank-

    Good info. Thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot later tonight. I haven't been nymph fishing in abut 3 years so it's slowly coming back to me. I do recall that I loved doing it and almost preferred it to dry-fly fishing...

    What do you think of yarn indicators?

    ~Seth

  6. #6

    Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Hi Seth,
    Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

    Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
    You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

    Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.

  7. Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Hi Seth,
    Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

    Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
    You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

    Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.
    More good info! Thanks!

    How do you make your yarn indicators? I've seen them pre-made in stores...

    ~Seth

  8. #8

    Default Re: Strike Indicator

    I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
    Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
    Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.

  9. Default Re: Strike Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
    Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
    Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.
    Hi-

    I really appreciate the help you have given thus far :-)

    ~Seth

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Strike Indicator

    PopTops work nicely as do FloatMaster Indicators, I use them when Steelhead fishing.

    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is the best floating fly line color?
    By Fish Bones in forum Fly fishing FAQs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
  2. 1st Day in VT
    By sesro1978 in forum Northeast
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
  3. SEA RUN BROOK TROUT (Anadromous)
    By JOCELIN in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 09:14 PM
  4. Thank You Joni:
    By freeze69 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 02:58 PM
  5. Saltwater Vice
    By Bone Daddy in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 12:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •