Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Combination Fly Vest & PFD

Do you use one? What model and what do you like or dislike about it?

I have a vest but will need a PFD next year as I'll be getting some sort of watercraft over the winter, either a Float Tube or a Pontoon, or something.

I've seen some that look as bulky as a flak jacket, and others that nearly want your first born + cash in trade.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Combination Fly Vest & PFD

I stopped wearing fishing vests years ago because I found ways to overload it. I take advantage of the large pockets on my pontoon boat and my float tube to hold my fly boxes and other garb.

For water safety, I use a Stearns (SOS) manual inflatable horseshoe shaped PFD. It is fairly light and fits comfortably. It inflates when the ripcord is pulled.

MP

Blog Entries

I have an old Sterns that is just like a regular fishing vest. It has a Co2 cartridge for quick deployment and a manual air tube for emergency contingency (Co2 is dead).

Can't recall price, it's old, but it is not bulky. I use it when on the rivers here in the jet boat. These rivers are wild enough to make even a tough guy want some flotation if the worst should happen.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Hi Jamie,

I use a PFD like the style that MP uses. If you live and fish where it is hot during the summer you will find these vest to be hot. The full vest type are especially hot.

For small craft, or even for wading, the belly type of PFD is cooler and some prefer it over the suspender type. The user of this style must be conscious in order to put their head into the vest when it is deployed.

Blog Entries

I keep forgetting that being too warm is not one of my daily problems here

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks for the responses folks.

FRANK - Heat around here isn't an issue for me. I lived in Southern Ontario for 20+ years where days on end of temps in the 90's with high humidity were common.

Around these parts, people complain when the temperatures get to the mid 70s.

Jamie.

What Frank said. While I don't flats fly-fish which is probably the warmest fly-fishing I can think of, my fly-fishing generally takes place where it's pretty hot, and as Frank said, those inflatable vests are pretty warm.

I use a belt-type PFD as Frank described. It's only downside is that it is not fully automatic, in that if somehow you are knocked unconscious, the PFD will not automatically inflate. This may be a disadvantage for boaters, but for waders like myself, it's not a realistic problem. As Frank says, you do need to be conscious to pull the inflated vest over your head, although obviously you get flotation regardless. For me, what I like most about my Stearns SOSpenders inflatable belt PFD is it's low "footprint"; it's out of the way until needed, adding little bulk and no heat when in its normal unused state.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

One of my old vests is an inflatable style. I only used it when I went steelhead fishing as it was way too hot and bulky to have on in the summer. I switched to a pack now and use the auto inflate suspender style pfd on the boat.