Choosing Mid-Range Fly Line...

sesro1978

Reaction score
Hi-

I need a little help choosing a decent floating fly line (for trout). I 'm looking for WF-F in a 5-wt. I would like something that is fairly supple off the reel and casts well (don't we all).

I've been looking at Sci-Anglers lines but also at Rio...oh, and if it could cost $50.00 or below, that would be a bonus.

Thanks for any help!

~Seth

plland

Reaction score
Look around for Rio Selective Trout fly line. They discontinued it last year in favor of Selective Trout II so it's a premium line (and a good one at that), but you can find it for $35-45 if you're lucky. I think MRFC has some left but you might try ebay too.

jimw

Reaction score
I have a rio gold trout line in a 5 wt that i really like, howerever i don't trout fish but use it mostly for panfish and bass. the first 30 feet are moss green in color and the rest is yellow so you always know when you have the right amount of line out for casting. I use it on an 8'6" 5wt sage FLI and it works great. I have a RIO clouser line which is better for turning over heavier wind resistant flies but it seems to splash and spook fish more than the other line but cast great in the wind. both lines were around 60 dollars

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Seth,

you might want to look into cortland. they make a good line for the money. if you want to go a little more $60.00 or so, you can look into Scientific anglers mastery series. there are also "house lines" from bass pro shops and cabelas that are made for them by cortland and are fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.

brookie

Reaction score
Im not really that experienced with fly equipment yet but I have had 4 lines clearwater and wonderline by orvis and presently some cheap cortand fair play line all for a 5 wt, I also have a sage performance line for a 6 wt that i got free with a reel purchase. The differences between the expensive lines are there BUT the difference to me does not seem all that big. The cheap clearwater and fairplay lines are pretty close to the sage and wonderline in my estimation. Does anybody else notice the minimal differences between lower and higher priced lines? It seems that the cheap stuff works alright to me. I currently use the fairplay on the 5 wt and the sage stuff on the six weight and the fairplay holds up pretty well I think and it only costed like 12 bucks

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a new fly line for my Sage SP 5-weight. It's been recommended to me to look at Rio's Gold or Airflo's Tactical Trout. I've been told that my fly-casting "could use some improvement" :wink: and the situation I'm looking for a line to fill is a distance cast in wind, hopefully allowing for a somewhat delicate (LOL) presentation. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Nooksack Mac

Reaction score
Fly line...supple...for trout... on those smallish Vermont streams...: You've just described the Cortland 444, the peach colored classic. I have two, one a WF5F and a WF7F that I've flogged since 1970 and it's still (barely) intact. This line is said to be a perfect match with slow to medium-fast action rods, and it's still under $50, I think.

sandfly

Reaction score
Rio Mainstream (34.95) soft and supple.. stay away from Sci-angler and orvis they are way to stiff for what you want.
Coortland 444 classic would be my second choice though it is a little more than the Rio..