Gear pack

sawinredneck

Reaction score
Right now I'm using the "chest pack" that comes with the Cabela's Prestioge combo, might get four packs of cigs in it, it's a lot small.
So looking around, I'm more confused than anything. I want the fishpond summit, but I don't want to spend that much. So I'm looking at the Allen cedar creek sling, the Magellan outdoors wader sling, and the Cabela's deluxe fly gear bag, bigger than I really want but on sale for $23 it would be great if I ever get to travel and fish again.
Mind you, I have a really bad back, broke it in two places, so either light or set it down. Also most my fishing is still water and bank fishing, little to no wading. I don't have a ton of gear, but with the purchase of the 8wt I want to target catfish so I'll be using large mice and large decieveres that won't lend well with the little pack. I'd like to store all my fly gear, and one reel, in this. I also like the Cabela's bag because I can strap my rods on the top for easier travel.
So, thoughts and suggestions please, and I get I'm not going to get much for the price point I'm in, $50-70ish. I've even checked evilbay for used and haven't run across anything.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I don't know if these will be big enough, but there are several waist packs at Cabela's in your price range. Also you can do a search for 'fishing waist pack' on Amazon and find dozens of packs under $80. I've got a military surplus waist pack and an Allen. Mine are fairly small though. Enough space for a couple fly boxes and a couple bottles of water.

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I have looked at the waist packs, I'm not ruling them out, but I like the idea of the sling pack better. It just seems like it would be easier to access your gear with one rather than having to spin the waist pack around.
But I honestly don't know as I've never used one or the other so I don't know.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I've got a few sling packs; some are pretty easy to use as far as accessibility, some are not. My experience with waist packs is more limited, but they all seem to have about the same degree of accessibility. In short, I think in general, there's not a lot of difference between slings and waist packs as far as accessibility. Just preference. And in your case, which is easier on your back.

Peace.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I was looking for a low cost pack for trial. I found a bunch from maxcatch fishing. I bought this $40 maxcatch sling pack. Been using it while I decide if I like a sling pack. It's worth the money and now it's $20.

Fly Fishing Vest Pack

sawinredneck

Reaction score
Thanks for the review on the Maxcatch sling, I've been seeing them on evilbay and wondered if they were good or not.
Cabela's has the fishpond Dragonfly on sale for $35, but none in my store. It looks decent but maybe a hair small for my wants.
I compared the dimensions of the deluxe fly bag to a smallish tackle bag, its way too big for my needs, it's out!
I found a used fishpond waterdance pack on evil bay, decent shape, and I ran it up to $50 with shipping, half price. That's about all I was willing to go on it.
Anyone have the Dragonfly that can chime in here on size/storage of it?
The Cabela's fanny pack is also on the large size imo at 11x11x5. But I'm thinking its better to have a little to much room than not enough?
Here I was trying to be minimalist and I'm looking at suitcases!

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That sling worked fine for a year in replace of my twenty year old side bag. But then I bought a simms vest to replace the sling. The vest broke on the third day of use so I returned it for refund. Now I'm back to the maxfish sling while I look for something else. I need to drive the 120 miles to cableas. Finding the right fit through mail order sucks.

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean!
Got outbid on a Sumit sling tonight, I just can't see paying much over half price for used gear from someone I can't really trust. At least not in this case.
I keep going back to the Dragonfly, from the vids and pics it seems to be large enough for my needs. But I'm also one that likes to hold and see how big it is and how it feels. But at $35 I guess if I don't like it I can put it on evilbay and recoup most, if not all my money with the current selling prices.

ratchet

Reaction score
Your best deals in packs will be from a non-fly fishing source. I use a sling pack for walking the bonefish flats in Hawaii that came from the dry goods section of a grocery store for $10. It works as a sling alright, but meant for mall walking so its a goofy color. I prefer it over my other sling, an Orvis safe passage.

Have you considered getting a small, inexpensive backpack instead?

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the Fishpond Dragonfly, for $35 it seemed like the best bang for the buck. It should be in next week so I'll let you know.