The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 PM

wjlapier is on a distinguished road
Default Boots Again

A lot of questions about boots and hard to nail down info looking into all the threads. Sorry folks. I have a need for another pair of boots. I've been wearing size 12 to accommodate the size 12 booty for my waders. I wear size 11 in almost all shoes, boots, and sandals. I add nice thick hiking socks and so far so good. Only thing though. The sole of my current boots are compressing to the point my feet roll outward. Tiniest rock and I roll my ankle. So, I'm wondering about the sizing of all the boot companies. Even though I wear size 11 in everything else, do I still order size 11 boots? Orvis says yes--just got off chat with someone. I'm also hoping to not spend over $100 for the boots. And I need/want felt bottoms. And I want good/great solid sole and strong ankle support. A lot of rocks in the rivers I fish around here--big rocks. I'm looking at Orvis Encounters, but will consider others too. No place around here with boots or I would try some on.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM

scotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boots Again

I have always gone 2 sizes bigger. I am a size 12 in my everyday shoes, but I like going up two sizes because of the room with my neoprene socks on my waders, and mostly, because I fish cold freestone rivers and streams, facing against the current, and having the current crashing into the toes of my shoes, my feet stay warmer. If I wear a size 12 or 13, my toes freeze because of the water rushing over them.

At least go one size bigger than what you normally wear.
Likes dennyk liked this post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM

allen1958 has a spectacular aura aboutallen1958 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
A lot of questions about boots and hard to nail down info looking into all the threads. Sorry folks. I have a need for another pair of boots. I've been wearing size 12 to accommodate the size 12 booty for my waders. I wear size 11 in almost all shoes, boots, and sandals. I add nice thick hiking socks and so far so good. Only thing though. The sole of my current boots are compressing to the point my feet roll outward. Tiniest rock and I roll my ankle. So, I'm wondering about the sizing of all the boot companies. Even though I wear size 11 in everything else, do I still order size 11 boots? Orvis says yes--just got off chat with someone. I'm also hoping to not spend over $100 for the boots. And I need/want felt bottoms. And I want good/great solid sole and strong ankle support. A lot of rocks in the rivers I fish around here--big rocks. I'm looking at Orvis Encounters, but will consider others too. No place around here with boots or I would try some on.

Thanks!
I hate spending more than I have to on anything. I also have size 11 feet and am on my third set of boots. I got these in size 11 and even over socks and neophrene boots on my waders they fit very well.

Compass 360 Stillwater Wading Boots (For Men) - Save 40%

I don't know how long they will last, but at that price a couple of years will work for me. Siera trading post is good on returns too, so if they don't fit send them back.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 PM

wjlapier is on a distinguished road

I ended up buying size 12 Korkers Greenback. Good thing I did too, instead of my true shoe size. The boots are snug with the neoprene bootie and almost too tight with a pair of socks on too.

I have both boots on now--one with a sock and the other without ( in the neoprene bootie ) and the one without a sock is much more comfortable. I did wear my first pair of boots with out socks and never had an issue like blisters. My socks are Thorlo hiking socks--the other's are Balega running socks. Nothing in between.

First thing I notice is a much better ankle support. I'll see how they do in the river tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM

airborne 82nd is a name known to allairborne 82nd is a name known to allairborne 82nd is a name known to allairborne 82nd is a name known to allairborne 82nd is a name known to allairborne 82nd is a name known to all

I've run the gamete with boots, I wear rubber soles with screws, I have finally found the most comfortable boot I've ever fished with , the price is above what you're looking but they are built to last , and comfortable , great support on feet , I also fish freestone rivers in upstate New York , I found the " Simms Guide boot to exceed my expectations , very happy with them

Airborne (David)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes peaks2creeks liked this post