Just A Plain Old Day Pack

myt1

Reaction score
I've only been fly fishing a bit under four years, but during that time I tried most of the usual suspects...vests, slings, and hip packs.

I liked and disliked all of them for various reasons, but it dawned on me I never really tried a simple day pack.

I think this might be my new favorite, with a few caveats.

When I fish I'm usually away from my truck for quite a few hours, so I like to carry a lot of stuff.

I want to be able to carry a raincoat, or be able to take off a layer of clothing if it gets too hot. Plus I want to be able to carry water and a lunch. This can be a real stretch with a vest, sling, or hip pack.

The other requirement I have is I want to be able to change a fly and add weight to my nymph line without having to take off my pack. So, if I'm fishing with a day pack I want to make sure I'm wearing either waders with a large bib pocket, a fishing shirt with large pockets, or a jacket that has large enough pockets to carry a few of the things I want to get to easily.

I also found that the straps of the pack do not interfere with access to whatever type of front pockets I might be using

As far as comfort goes, this has to be one of the most comfortable options. It doesn't restrict my arms and it is specifically made to carry weight evenly. I'm also thinking in hot weather a pack might be cooler than a vest, which can get pretty hot.

At least for now this will be the option I will be using most.

I hope this helps.

el jefe

Reaction score
Have you taken a look at the Fishpond stuff? They have some daypacks that also have receptacles for hydration bladders, in addition to all of the needs you mentioned. They also have chestpacks that dock onto the front of the daypack, where you can hang your forceps, nippers, floatant, etc., and has places for flies and fly boxes. They can be pricey, though, but you can find them on eBay at times for decent prices.

pnc

Reaction score
Last time I was in a surplus store was surprised at prices. Wasn't like years back. However the number different packs & cargo belts had my mind going. Whole lot of olive fly gear. Might check one if close.

..... pc

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
When I first started (mid-'80's), I used my backpack as often as my vest, especially for longer hikes. Here I am at 15 in Wyoming's Snowy Range, using spinning gear because I'd broken my fly rod earlier in the year and had to save up enough $$ to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myt1

Reaction score
A hydration bladder would be a nice feature. I hadn't thought of that. I think I would drink more water if I had one.

Also, in the original post I forgot to mention I also wear a lanyard.

Yes, Fishpond stuff is very nice.

callihan_44

Reaction score
this is why i went for a sling pack, can access stuff without taking it off and also I required it to have a few items attached the shoulder strap . It holds more stuff than a vest, i generally only use it in hot weather but If i traveled a long distance along a river I would probably take it over my vest because of storage capacity

myt1

Reaction score
this is why i went for a sling pack, can access stuff without taking it off and also I required it to have a few items attached the shoulder strap . It holds more stuff than a vest, i generally only use it in hot weather but If i traveled a long distance along a river I would probably take it over my vest because of storage capacity
Do they make sling packs large enough to carry a light jacket, a water bottle, lunch, plus the other usual fishing stuff?

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I'm thinking if you can't fit it in here, you probably don't need it!
Summit Sling
I really wanted one, but it's cost prohibitive to me, and honestly a lot larger than I really needed. I managed to catch the Fishpond Dragonfly, chest/waist pack on a closeout and honestly, it's a little larger than I need. The Summit is like three times that size!
Everything I've seen, never seeing one in person, it seems to be everything and a nice bag of chips! Check YouTube, there are several reviews and a lot of product information out on it.

callihan_44

Reaction score
Do they make sling packs large enough to carry a light jacket, a water bottle, lunch, plus the other usual fishing stuff?
yeah my pack is 10 liters, so it's smaller than some of the other packs out there and I can fit all my fishing gear plus a standard size bottle of water, lunch, sunscreen but would only fit a very light thin jacket...the simms large size is 15-17 liters i believe

wthorpe

Reaction score
I fished out of a daypack for two days recently in western NC small streams, where i had to walk say 5+/- miles each day. It worked fine. It is important to have some shirt pockets or other spot to put a few flies, a spool or two of tippet, and some fly dressing--ie, the stuff you need over and over.

Also, after griping about sling packs on this forum in the past, i have continued to use my Patagonia 20L Stormfront. It too works well for off-road fishing, or in most other settings. I am getting used to the mechanics of opening and closing it with minimal fuss and bother, while keeping a few flies and other stuff handy in shirt pockets. This bag in particular will hold a half dozen fly boxes, a jacket, some water, some food, and i even stuffed some waderss in it once. for many fishing settings a daypack would do much the same.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I looked around for stuff like that a while back. Needed a waist pack for trips when space was critical. A day pack for wandering around here. The fishing ones were either not what I wanted or more $ than I wanted to drop. Went into the hunting section at Academy and found both in short order at a decent price. They're camo and don't have fish logos. A sharpie could fix the latter.

cab

Reaction score
I, too, fish far from the truck, and at least I feel the need to carry a LOT of stuff. Tried various chestpack/backpack combo's, all claimed do do it all, all did nothing well.

A few years back, I remembered an old Army saying: Whatever you need, it's on the bottom. So, why try to "organize" all that claptrap? Just jam it all in there! So, I tossed everything in the 'ol Camelbak, and been fishing like that since.

The biggest plus: COMFORT!!! It rides back there like a part of me. Hardly notice it, and I put in long, strenuous days. A close second: space. I probably carry too much stuff, but I rarely find myself wanting.

I attached a set of hemo's to one strap, and often carry a bit of floatant in a shirt pocket, that's it. I believe far too may of us change flies far too often. Leaving all that stuff back there makes me really think, and then pay attention to what I'm doing. Plus, it gives me a little break.

HTH,
CAB

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
Not to bring up an older thread but reading through this, I've been thinking...

If you were to get one of the camelbak backpacks with bladders in it, that would achieve what you're looking for wouldn't it? A lot of them have additional attachment points for things like a net, staff, hemostats, nippers, etc. as well as a main pocket to carry some food, jacket, and whatever else.

The only downside to that is the bags are often very bright colored and designed more for mountain biking, hikers, and the like. I purchased one of camelbak's military bladders for my fishing trip I took in June. With temps in the mid 80's I knew I'd need to keep hydrated. I filled it up with water and about 2 dozen ice cubes and in a small pocket next to the bladder, I was able to toss in one of those smaller reusable ice packs. Not only did it keep the water cooler, but it kept my overall body temp down!

The only issue in using one of these is if you wear it and you're a sling pack user like me. I can't seem to rotate my sling pack around without it catching on the camelbak. Slightly bothersome but that's ok. I'm looking into taking the MOLLE straps on the outside of my camelbak and seeing if I can attach some fly boxes and additional storage for things like leader, tippet and all of that. But that'll be a winter project! If I didn't just get the thunderhead sling, I would have kept using the camelbak and purchase the thunderhead lumbar bag. Oh well! Maybe I'll pick one up after a few of my ebay auctions end with the profits.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I think a 15 liter is what you need whether it's a sling or a pack. My 15L sling pack 5 pocket has external water bottle plus I can add another water in a pocket. Another pocket I have raincoat and room for snacks. Several fly boxes etc in another pocket. I have wallet, phone, emergency supplies spot gps in another pocket. Extra forceps and other stuff thrown in there somewhere. Front pocket is for stuffing used tippet, flies and trash in.

The best thing about a sling pack is you don't have to load up your pockets each time you head out and if your back gets hot just wear it to your side for a while.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
You really ought to take a look at Umpgua’s Rock Creek 250 Chest pack kit. It comes with a small chest pack that will hold all your fishing immediate stuff for on stream changes plus a nice day pack of 9 or 10 liters that integrates perfectly with it. The back pack is wide open and can accept a hydration bladder.

I actually have two chest packs.One is the smaller 250 and the other is the 500 Overlook unit that I can use by itself or with the same backpack attached.

But for your uses, I would think the smaller 250 with the backpack would be ideal.

Don