'Tippet Rings' and why I love them.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I've used them ever since I started tying my own leaders.

To add to the article, they also make a good connection point for adding dropper nymphs. Heavy nymph on longer tippet, lighter nymph on shorter piece at 90*.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
On my nymph rigs I find them valuable. However, I don't use them anywhere near the fly portion of my rig. It's just one more thing that can make that high pressure feeder slide from its lane. Makes for easy adjustments especially for ESN.

Tippets rings are terminal on my Cutthroat dry fly furled leaders. This post reminds me I need to order a couple. Thanks!

denver1911

Reaction score
Yuck. While trout fishing, I may have to tie on new tippet once or twice daily if fishing mountain streams or one each trip on tailwaters or bigger rivers. I can't see complicating it up with another piece,of,equipment in the mix. For small water and small fish, a triple surgeon is quick and easy. For bigger water with bigger fish, nail knots aren't that hard. I tie my own leaders and if the end section gets too short after a few trips .. put on a new one. I find I only use a brand new leader once every few years.

jfh245

Reaction score
Since getting serious about Czech (highstick) nymphing, tippet rings have become an invaluable asset. After breaking off multiple times hung up below surface, they permit fast instream changes by just adding tippet.......leader breaks never happen. I don't use sinkers and obtain depth by balancing nympph weight, but a move from deep to shallower water to keep sighter positioned just needs a snip at the ring and shorten the tippet and tie. Takes 30 seconds max............they save time and money.

flytie09

Reaction score
If guys love them.... then have at it. I personally just use a short 12" piece of "cheater line" between the leader and my tippet when trout fishing to save my mono leaders. I now rarely replace leaders. I also don't fish much lately, but that's another story.

I will use a swivel when swinging for Great Lake Steelhead and Salmon. I break off so many darned flies........ it saves me from monkeying around with my TX sinktip to tippet connection.

I watched a Youtube video by Kelly Galloup about drop shotting this weekend...... I might look into this set up. Seems like a nymphing machine. I think the drift quality, snagging potential and the way the droppers hang are intriguing. Hmmmm.....

ft09

mtboiler

Reaction score
Started using them in the winter last year and never stopped! I use a 4mm jump ring in the winter. It allows me to pretie flies with 12 and 4 inch 'leaders' with a loop to loop connection on the other end. Wrap them around a snelled hooked keeper and you can change flies without tying a single knot. Push the loop thru the tippet ring/jump ring, thread the fly through the loop, pull tight. Fishing in seconds! and my hands don't freeze! Plus, add a drop shot to the bottom fly to get even deeper.

J

james w 3 3

Since getting serious about Czech (highstick) nymphing, tippet rings have become an invaluable asset. After breaking off multiple times hung up below surface, they permit fast instream changes by just adding tippet.......leader breaks never happen. I don't use sinkers and obtain depth by balancing nympph weight, but a move from deep to shallower water to keep sighter positioned just needs a snip at the ring and shorten the tippet and tie. Takes 30 seconds max............they save time and money.
Absolutely!!! My bicolor sighter ends in a tippet ring and I can't imagine a better way to rig. Once I learned to keep a little safety pin on my shirt to secure the ring while tying I've never gone back.
Even my stillwater leaders now incorporate a tippet ring, after the tapered part sits a ring, add 4' of tippet or 12' of tippet, no problem.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I've gone to tippet rings for much of my stuff. On larger streamers with heavier lines I use small swivels. Salty leaders I still tie. Don't have a reason other than I prefer it.

ratchet

Reaction score
Tippet rings are not just for freshwater use. I've used the smallest rings meant for trout in the salt while bonefishing for several years now and have caught bones over 10 lbs using them. Just rinse them off in freshwater after every use and I haven't noticed any problems with corrosion or having them break under tension. Absolutely no problems with 12 and 15 lb test tippets...well maybe one. The inner diameter of the ring limits the thickness of the lines used and the type of knot tied. I use the simple clinch knot but I can see trouble if you try to double your line like when you tie a Palomar knot.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Started using them in the winter last year and never stopped! I use a 4mm jump ring in the winter. It allows me to pretie flies with 12 and 4 inch 'leaders' with a loop to loop connection on the other end. Wrap them around a snelled hooked keeper and you can change flies without tying a single knot. Push the loop thru the tippet ring/jump ring, thread the fly through the loop, pull tight. Fishing in seconds! and my hands don't freeze! Plus, add a drop shot to the bottom fly to get even deeper.
This is how I would envision using them. Sounds pretty good for arthritic hands and old eyes to avoid streamside knot tying.

silver creek

Reaction score
Use closed jump rings instead. Much, much cheaper than tippet rings.

I posted a link to them on the post below.

The 4 mm ones are $10.79 for 50 of them.

Tippet rings are $8 for 12.

busbus

Reaction score
Use closed jump rings instead. Much, much cheaper than tippet rings.

The 4 mm ones are $10.79 for 50 of them.

Tippet rings are $8 for 12.
Great suggestion, Silver!

Would these work well enough? If so, there are enough here for $12.00 to last a lifetime:

ray