New kayak

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Thought I would log my kayak here as I use it and upgrade it. Hopefully get some new ideas and share mine!
Got this Lifetime Tamarack for Xmas. Under $200 on black Friday. From everything I've read it's supposed to be a great kayak for the price.
This is how it comes straight from the store. Folding seat, swiveling rod holder up front, two rod holders in back.

Today I added an anchor/stake trolley, upgraded seat, and a crate. I bolted j hooks to the crate so that it can be secured with the shock cord rigging real quick and easy.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Was able to get the Kayak out a bit today. Got skunked, but honestly expected to. The location I went to usually isn't very good fishing, plus the time of year/water temps, I knew chasing bass would be tough. But you can park right along the water, so it's easy, and I mostly just wanted to get out and paddle around with it.
A few things I learned. I got a LOT wetter than I thought I would. I know the paddles drip, but it was bad. I got completely soaked from the waist down, and when the water temp is 38, that's not so fun. Also, the crate in the back that everyone loves isn't so easy to access. I need to figure out a way to store a 3600 box or two of my most used stuff up front with me.
An anchor or stake out pole (or both) is an absolute must. I mounted the trolley but haven't gotten an anchor yet. I thought it would blow around similar to a tube. It doesn't, it's much worse. Felt like I might have well of had a sail mounted to the darn thing.
As far as the Kayak itself, I liked it. I don't have much to compare it to, but it felt stable, tracked straight, and seemed fairly fast, certainly faster than a tube. My only real complaint is the swiveling rod holders is mounted way too far forward for my liking. I'd move it, but that would leave a huge hole were it was.
Ok, some pics. Look closely and you'll see about half the pond is frozen over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Nice, always fun to get out. I avoid cotton and denim like the plague in a kayak just for the drip. Some water shedding, hydrophobic material, is nicer and more comfortable.

For wind issues, try a drift anchor. Basically, it’s like a wind sock. Really slows down and controls the drift.

I love stake out poles. The 8’ ones are good in about 6’ feet of water or less.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Kudos to you for being able to lift that beast onto your Jeep. As a (nearly) 60 year old guy, I've owned a bunch of SOTs and SINKs and have learned that (for me) the lighter the kayak and easier to haul, the more I take it out fishing. While there are benefits and drawbacks to both, if you ain't using it, it ain't no use. This fall I bought a used Pungo 120 and will be selling the Tarpon 120

I will go further than @Karstopo, you need to be FAR more thoughtful about gearing up correctly for the conditions. In 38 degree water you would be dead in a matter of minutes if you fell in. For those conditions you should ideally be wearing a dry suit. At a minimum a good pair of chest waders with a dry top cinched tight at the waist. And don't be fooled by the apparent stability of that platform. The only time I've ever rolled was in a Jackson Cuda due to the high center of gravity. Lost a bunch of nice gear that day and I sold it immediately after that.

While I'm at it, never go out without wearing a PFD, regardless of how nice the weather is. These days you can get low profile inflatable PFDs that are easy to wear. It's important to develop safety habits. Just throwing your PFD in the cockpit to meet the letter of the law misses the entire point. Bad **** happens in an instant and once you're in the water is not the time to be thinking about putting on your PFD.

Dismounting now, thank you for listening.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Kudos to you for being able to lift that beast onto your Jeep. As a (nearly) 60 year old guy, I've owned a bunch of SOTs and SINKs and have learned that (for me) the lighter the kayak and easier to haul, the more I take it out fishing. While there are benefits and drawbacks to both, if you ain't using it, it ain't no use. This fall I bought a used Pungo 120 and will be selling the Tarpon 120

I will go further than @Karstopo, you need to be FAR more thoughtful about gearing up correctly for the conditions. In 38 degree water you would be dead in a matter of minutes if you fell in. For those conditions you should ideally be wearing a dry suit. At a minimum a good pair of chest waders with a dry top cinched tight at the waist. And don't be fooled by the apparent stability of that platform. The only time I've ever rolled was in a Jackson Cuda due to the high center of gravity. Lost a bunch of nice gear that day and I sold it immediately after that.

While I'm at it, never go out without wearing a PFD, regardless of how nice the weather is. These days you can get low profile inflatable PFDs that are easy to wear. It's important to develop safety habits. Just throwing your PFD in the cockpit to meet the letter of the law misses the entire point. Bad **** happens in an instant and once you're in the water is not the time to be thinking about putting on your PFD.

Dismounting now, thank you for listening.
I ALWAYS wear a PFD while on the water. Always did with my tube, and will continue doing so with the yak. No exceptions. Also have a small emergency paddle and whistle.
As far as gear, I have leashes/tie downs for everything that's important that doesn't float. Again something I did tubing that I'm carrying over.
And yes, the denim/cotton was stupid, but I didn't think I'd really be getting wet. Lesson learned.

spm

Reaction score
Nevada,
Not to change the subject, but I happened to notice your vehicle. Is that the jeep you bought and completely refurbished? Looks good. How's it working for you?

Well done.
steve

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Nevada,
Not to change the subject, but I happened to notice your vehicle. Is that the jeep you bought and completely refurbished? Looks good. How's it working for you?

Well done.
steve
Yep, that's my Jeep I bought for $600 for fishing/adventures. I think "completely refurbished" would be quite an overstatement haha! But it's been working great. The alternator started to go about a month ago so replaced that, but it didn't get stuck/stop working.
I need to start getting some of the missing trim in order. You can see the missing flare in the pic here, that will be easy. The broke trim along the license plate has been a pain trying to track down though.

danmarino

Reaction score
Keep at it. Kayak fishing with a fly rod is challenging. That's a nice looking kayak and beautiful scenery.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Built a rod/net rack out of PVC yesterday. Can't really figure a way of really securing a fly rod using PVC, so I'll use the factory mount for that, but this secures nets and conventional gear just fine. Increased storage by 1, so now I can have a spin rod, casting rod, fly rod, and a net all secured in dedicated holders. And of course PVC is cheap, total cost I think was about 14 bucks.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Nevada

Here is a link for a homemade drip ring you can make for your kayak paddle. It will greatly reduce the amount of water running down on you. Something else that is a huge help is getting the correct length paddle. A longer paddle does not require the near vertical stroke to make good water contact, thus the blade not in the water during a stroke is still over the water and not dripping water your legs. Takes a bit of practice to learn this new paddle stroke but is well worth the dry legs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-kayak-paddle-drip-rings/

There are some new kayak paddles out today that are not expensive but have a great shaft made of a carbon fiber type substance. You can recognize them by the smaller diameter of shaft tube, also because they have more flex you will find your shoulders and arms not getting as sore after a long day on the water.

Dave

ramjet

Reaction score
>>Hopefully get some new ideas<<

Good thread..

Glad you're enjoying your new yak. I have a few of them and have been fishing out of them for about 15 years off and on. Here's a few quick things that came to my mind as I read the posts so far:

-- I built my own yak drift sock from a chunk of blue tarp, a grommet kit, a few 3/8 oz worm weights, a couple chunks of foam and some paracord, using an old beater sewing machine. The prototype was duct-taped and it worked fine too. It was very handy fishing for barracuda in a rented yak in a lagoon in Cancun. (hey that rhymes!). Helped satbilize the boat with my back to the wind and slowed my rate of getting blown to somewhere I didn't want to be and would have to paddle back from.

--I have one paddle that is great for not dripping on me,the others-- not so much. It's a difference in how the blade curves along the bottom on the side nearest you. For some reason, I don't see many paddles like that in stores. I've put strips of sticky foam along the lower edge of the blade to encourage water to drip off on some of the other paddles.

--For easily accessible gear while I'm in the yak without having to reach around to the aft storage box, I look for medium capacity butt packs. Find one that you can wear in front of you, with the ability to move the buckle or clip to your side (so you won't have to lean back on it).

--I've thought of getting a more comfortable seat for my SOT that suspends my butt a little bit, like the one you have. How is the stability? I find a notable difference if I even put a thick foam gardening pad on the seat. AS mentioned before, you can flip a yak, and my SOT, while it has advantages, seems a little more likely to do that than the Sit Inside versions.

--I also use a moving water "anchor". It's a piece of chain that I carry draped over the side where I can get to it easily. The anchor line passes through a carabiner that's attached to the cord on the aft T handle, so the pull keeps the yak streamlined. I can adjust the length of the anhor chain from the cockpit so I can let just a little drag to slow me down some-- or drop the whole thing and get stopped. To retrieve the anchor, another (different colored) line goes from the cockpit to a separate carabiner that's attached between the T-handle carabiner and the chain anchor itself. A change to that setup this year will involve using a cheapie retractable dog leash to adjust the length. I've only fished hear Reno a few times and don't remember if the river I fished (Truckee perhaps?) was conducive to something like this. I fish local rivers for smallmouth and will go quickly from hole to hole, get the yak moving backwards against the current and make perhaps 4 or 5 casts. If I get a bite, I quickly set the hook, control the rod (paddle is already across my lap, chuck the chain (you want to throw it back behind you so it catches quickly before you run into the sweepers on the outside corner coming up!) and then fight/land the fish. Note that if you get the order wrong, you'll throw your fly rod overboard, drop a heavy metal chain onto your crotch, and wind up in agony crashing into the sweepers on the far side of the bend so you might want to practice the sequence a little bit first.:doh:

nevadanstig

Reaction score
>>Hopefully get some new ideas<<

Good thread..

Glad you're enjoying your new yak. I have a few of them and have been fishing out of them for about 15 years off and on. Here's a few quick things that came to my mind as I read the posts so far:

-- I built my own yak drift sock from a chunk of blue tarp, a grommet kit, a few 3/8 oz worm weights, a couple chunks of foam and some paracord, using an old beater sewing machine. The prototype was duct-taped and it worked fine too. It was very handy fishing for barracuda in a rented yak in a lagoon in Cancun. (hey that rhymes!). Helped satbilize the boat with my back to the wind and slowed my rate of getting blown to somewhere I didn't want to be and would have to paddle back from.

--I have one paddle that is great for not dripping on me,the others-- not so much. It's a difference in how the blade curves along the bottom on the side nearest you. For some reason, I don't see many paddles like that in stores. I've put strips of sticky foam along the lower edge of the blade to encourage water to drip off on some of the other paddles.

--For easily accessible gear while I'm in the yak without having to reach around to the aft storage box, I look for medium capacity butt packs. Find one that you can wear in front of you, with the ability to move the buckle or clip to your side (so you won't have to lean back on it).

--I've thought of getting a more comfortable seat for my SOT that suspends my butt a little bit, like the one you have. How is the stability? I find a notable difference if I even put a thick foam gardening pad on the seat. AS mentioned before, you can flip a yak, and my SOT, while it has advantages, seems a little more likely to do that than the Sit Inside versions.

--I also use a moving water "anchor". It's a piece of chain that I carry draped over the side where I can get to it easily. The anchor line passes through a carabiner that's attached to the cord on the aft T handle, so the pull keeps the yak streamlined. I can adjust the length of the anhor chain from the cockpit so I can let just a little drag to slow me down some-- or drop the whole thing and get stopped. To retrieve the anchor, another (different colored) line goes from the cockpit to a separate carabiner that's attached between the T-handle carabiner and the chain anchor itself. A change to that setup this year will involve using a cheapie retractable dog leash to adjust the length. I've only fished hear Reno a few times and don't remember if the river I fished (Truckee perhaps?) was conducive to something like this. I fish local rivers for smallmouth and will go quickly from hole to hole, get the yak moving backwards against the current and make perhaps 4 or 5 casts. If I get a bite, I quickly set the hook, control the rod (paddle is already across my lap, chuck the chain (you want to throw it back behind you so it catches quickly before you run into the sweepers on the outside corner coming up!) and then fight/land the fish. Note that if you get the order wrong, you'll throw your fly rod overboard, drop a heavy metal chain onto your crotch, and wind up in agony crashing into the sweepers on the far side of the bend so you might want to practice the sequence a little bit first.:doh:
Stability seems fine. I don't have much to compare to though, so take that with a grain of salt. My first yak and I never even went out and paddled with the stock seat. The stadium seat that's in there now is only raised about 2" or so, so I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference.
If you fished the river in Reno that would be the Truckee. I personally wouldn't fish it via kayak. It's small, shallow and full of whitewater, and to me, that spells disaster for a SOT kayak. I got this strictly for pond and marsh hopping chasing bass.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
If you follow my path, you’ll be upgrading to a model where you can stand to cast and sit on a seat above the water line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevadanstig

Reaction score
If you follow my path, you’ll be upgrading to a model where you can stand to cast and sit on a seat above the water line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sit well above water line in this one already. Haven't tried to cast standing yet, but can stand and "relieve" myself fairly steadily.
We've finally switched back to soft water here, though the water temp is still really cold in the ponds (38.5 - 40.3). Picked up a cheap cart from Amazon, and am using a harbor frieght retractable dog leash for the anchor rope. Bass are still super sluggish, prespawn is a good month out still here, but managed a couple.

markg52

Reaction score
nevadanstig I'm curious as to how you mounted your seat? My wife would like to upgrade the seat in her Perception. The current seat is much like you original.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
nevadanstig I'm curious as to how you mounted your seat? My wife would like to upgrade the seat in her Perception. The current seat is much like you original.
Sorry I am just seeing this post!
I haven't mounted it at all. The original seat, the back simply clipped in, so I removed that. The stadium seat, I simply just set it in, over the original "pad".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nevadanstig

Reaction score
This winter's addition: got a nice sonar unit, a Garmin Striker Plus 5CV+.
Going to mount it via a Scotty Transducer Arm, with the units head mounted on that. Got the mount and everything put together, and finally sourced a battery for it. I also got a 12V power hub. Can monitor voltage, and has USB connectors to keep phone and cameras topped up through the day.
Everything fired right up when connected in the house. Now I just have to pick a day to go out in the cold and actually install everything in the boat.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Got sick of the fact that every time I have spare time, the weather turns South. Cold today and snowed all night. So I broke down today and just drug the thing in to my dining room to install everything. Don't tell the wife!

Everything went well and it all works. Video logged the install so I'll put that together soon. Here's some pics.