These new fangles boxes

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I’m speaking of these Tacky brand, and the Umpqua HD New Generation fly boxes. I don’t know much about them at all, but I know they have boxes for dries, and that’s what I’m looking for. They are in my price range, so that’s a plus.
I know Tacky’s Dry Fly Box is made not to crush the hackle, and I figure the Umpqua Dry box is to be the same thought.

Now I’ll be honest, to me the Umpqua brand looks better, and similar to what I am used to for their Heavy Duty boxes.
Umpqua UPG HD Medium Fly Box | 2018

Any comments appreciated.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I don't usually get weirdly loyal with brands, and every fly box I've ever used had something about it that I wished were different... until I finally got the Tacky box. They are perfect for me: I love the magnetic closure, waterproof is not important to me; the size is right, slim, not too heavy but not flimsy; and the fly mat material is excellent. I don't have the specific dry fly box, so I can't comment on that one.

I did not realize that it does not float. That could be a problem.

ksigtuck

Reaction score
I bought a tacky box when they were first released to try out. I now own at least one of every style they make. Cannot recommend them enough.
Tuck

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I tried a couple of the C&F Japanese boxes when introduced here by SA years ago. I was so impressed by their watertight seal, anchor point for a lanyard and mostly the slits in the dense foam to firmly hold flies individually so I could observe the variations in size color or use in a row of similar flies. But they were opaque black and, while I still like and use them, I also have gone over to the SA System boxes; also water sealed with an anchor point, similar dense long lasting foam slits and clear so I can see what is in there. I tried a first gen. Umpqua box but did not like its visually impairing green color. I also have used the inexpensive imitations of the SA box and find them perfectly fine too except most lack the anchor point...the older I get the more clumsy and dropping a box in the middle of the river and watching it float away is an experience I've only needed to have once.

don_p

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Tackys with a gift card I received for Christmas. Seems to be a decent product but durability is a concern. Real life on stream testing is scheduled to occur right around April 1 :D. However I plan on using them strictly for nymphs and wets. I haven't found a box other than a simple compartment box, where the fly is free to move around, that won't crush hackle like the ones where the fly is held by a clip or hooked into some foam.

ramjet

Reaction score
>>Only negative for the Tacky boxes they don't float. However you may not be able to rescue them anyway on a large river.<<

FWIW. Many years ago, I started putting lanyards on virtually all of my fly boxes. I then either loop them or clip them into my vest or pack. It's saved me many times. For the cheaper boxes without an attachment point, I drill two holes in a lower inside corner and loop the line through there. I generally use old fly line for the lanyards, it seems to get tangled less. Well worth the small investment in time and hassle for me at least.