Dumb Purchases

ddb

Reaction score
40 + years ago I made a business trip to London and of course did a pilgrimage to Hardys.

That was on an outbound leg of a mutli stop trip so I did not buy the cane rod I really wanted but could not imagine safely hauling through multiple airports. So I contented myself with a reel that went into my carry on and -- here comes the dumb part -- a salmon tailer. ( For the uninitiated, a tailer is a rod @2.5' long with a wire hoop at the end. You slide it over a salmon's tail and lift so it closes over the tail and holds it while you unhook. At least that is the legal use. Adept poachers also use it to sneak up on dozing salmon and snatch them out of the river. At one time in England if you were a varlet caught on the high road at night with a tailer it was a hanging offense.)

Anyway lugging it around Europe and back was an experience. Several airlines refused to allow me to store it overhead as they thought it was weaponable. (The Air France folks not only permitted it but wanted to know what sex toy shop I go it from.)

And I returned home only to find that it is illegal in most states here!

Its too small to use on kids and I still have not figured out what the French are up to.

ddb

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with them, have seen and handled one but never considered using one legal or not. What reel did you buy?

For tailing I was blessed with big hands, the kind that you can stop a basketball with just by gripping it. At least I could do that when I was younger, I haven't touched a B. ball for 20 years I don't think, maybe longer. Another unique Hardy item is the fancy pewter tipped priests they used to sell.

myt1

Reaction score
40 + years ago I made a business trip to London and of course did a pilgrimage to Hardys.

That was on an outbound leg of a mutli stop trip so I did not buy the cane rod I really wanted but could not imagine safely hauling through multiple airports. So I contented myself with a reel that went into my carry on and -- here comes the dumb part -- a salmon tailer. ( For the uninitiated, a tailer is a rod @2.5' long with a wire hoop at the end. You slide it over a salmon's tail and lift so it closes over the tail and holds it while you unhook. At least that is the legal use. Adept poachers also use it to sneak up on dozing salmon and snatch them out of the river. At one time in England if you were a varlet caught on the high road at night with a tailer it was a hanging offense.)

Anyway lugging it around Europe and back was an experience. Several airlines refused to allow me to store it overhead as they thought it was weaponable. (The Air France folks not only permitted it but wanted to know what sex toy shop I go it from.)

And I returned home only to find that it is illegal in most states here!

Its too small to use on kids and I still have not figured out what the French are up to.

ddb
Wow, if in 40 plus years that is the dumbest purchase you have made that is pretty amazing...great story to go along with it though.

In only four years of fly fishing I have a closet full of dumb purchases. I have quite a collection of vests, hip packs, and now even some rods and reels that I will never use.

ddb

Reaction score
I bought a Hardy multiplier reel which I later trraded for a Salmon no 1.

ddb

brownbass

Reaction score
I keep thinking "How many people I know that have a Salmon Tailer from Hardy's". Just me! Hang it on the wall in your tying room.

Bill

silver creek

Reaction score
I keep thinking "How many people I know that have a Salmon Tailer from Hardy's". Just me! Hang it on the wall in your tying room.

Bill
I do and I have used it in Wisconsin on Chinook. I have not heard they are illegal and I cannot find any regulation that says they are illegal.