Vice shaft holder thingy

trs

Reaction score
I planning on making a couple of vice bases and am looking for a source for the metal thingy?? The shaft goes into. All my vices currently are clamp on and I've started tying with a friend whose table is way too nice to clamp to, regardless of what he says. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

pnc

Reaction score
Vise bases I've seen are all one piece. Part of which projects upward forming a shaft for post to slip into. Where it can be rotated or held in place with a set screw with nob for ease of use.
I don't think such a thing as a shaft to insert a post has ever been marketed. I could be wrong. Various bases are available.
If your set on making a base various things can be used. A piece of pipe with ID same as shaft OD. A hole drilled in wood. All would hing on material used for base and how much form and function was wanted.

....... pc

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to tie before you get the bases done check out my high tech table protection device.

That's my old Thompson 360-A which has become my tube fly vise. The clamp isn't deep enough to allow a good grip on my table due to the bull nose edge so I simple extended the flat top with a piece of my door trim molding. It isn't pretty but gets the job done and in your case a piece of 3/4 fir board would protect your friends table top. You can also use closed cell foam and don't crank the C clamp down too tightly.

pnc

Reaction score
If you want to tie before you get the bases done check out my high tech table protection device.

That's my old Thompson 360-A which has become my tube fly vise. The clamp isn't deep enough to allow a good grip on my table due to the bull nose edge so I simple extended the flat top with a piece of my door trim molding. It isn't pretty but gets the job done and in your case a piece of 3/4 fir board would protect your friends table top. You can also use closed cell foam and don't crank the C clamp down too tightly.
Easier than making bases ! All sorts of things can be used. Even magazines can be folded over edge then clamped.

........ pc

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey buddy :)

You caught that picture huh?

Yeah, I have enough real projects that need done that I won't make one out of tying flies. I almost bought a base for that old vise several times but have not done so yet. They came clamp only back then or maybe I would have one.

The 360 is a useful vise, I have a set of midge jaws for it also but always used the big ones. When I started tying tubes it turned out to be my favorite. I have my Renzettie in its box................

bumble54

Reaction score
I planning on making a couple of vice bases and am looking for a source for the metal thingy?? The shaft goes into. All my vices currently are clamp on and I've started tying with a friend whose table is way too nice to clamp to, regardless of what he says. Thanks in advance

I'm assuming you mean the pillar/column, with the thumb screw to clamp the shaft, if you have the intention of making the base yourself a good machine shop will make you one in no time at all if you do not have a lathe, maybe you know someone?.
I make quite a few vices for my own amusement and epoxy the pillar into profiled bread boards, on the simpler ones. Rubber feet save damaging the table and the benefit of making your own is that you can determine the height that suits you. Routing out the base board can give you pockets for hooks/beads/flies etc, and you can drill blind holes to hold tools and spigots for bobbins.

don_p

Reaction score
These are the only task specific clamps I've found on the web but there must be others. Vice Clamps | Product Categories | The Granite Fly

Or, as said, you can make your own if you have access to a lathe. I have my own mini lathe so I fabricated my own from aluminum billet and then hit up the local monument shop for some scrap marble. Drilled a recess in the marble base and machined a shoulder on the clamp, applied an ample amount of super glue and joined the two, so far no hint of it parting ways. (stick on felt pads protect table surfaces)

trs

Reaction score
These are the only task specific clamps I've found on the web but there must be others. Vice Clamps | Product Categories | The Granite Fly

Or, as said, you can make your own if you have access to a lathe. I have my own mini lathe so I fabricated my own from aluminum billet and then hit up the local monument shop for some scrap marble. Drilled a recess in the marble base and machined a shoulder on the clamp, applied an ample amount of super glue and joined the two, so far no hint of it parting ways. (stick on felt pads protect table surfaces)

That's what I'm after, may end up buying a pedestal from Cabela's to get the fitting, wish I had a mini lathe, I'd already be using the base

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not a piece brass or stainless round stock then drill a hole to accommodate the shaft. To fasten the shaft you could drill in at a 90 then tap for a decorative thumb screw.

If I were using polished granite like pictured I'd probably paint both the steel stock and screw black.

trs

Reaction score
Why not a piece brass or stainless round stock then drill a hole to accommodate the shaft. To fasten the shaft you could drill in at a 90 then tap for a decorative thumb screw.

If I were using polished granite like pictured I'd probably paint both the steel stock and screw black.
Thanks for the response, Access to tools is my limiter, both Bass pro shops and Cabela's sell a 20 dollar pedestal base, I'm waiting to here back if the shaft holder is removable, I may try to make one out of oak if that doesn't work out

trs

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for thier help,. I ordered a pedestal base from Cabela's, I'm also going to continue persue a making some adapters, once again thank you to all who replied

bocianka1

Reaction score
So today I picked up a free piece of stone (not granite) from a building supply place. It's roughly rectangular about 10x7". I'd like to make a pedestal for my vise and move away from the c-clamp. But what I have is perfectly functional so I'm not looking to spend a lot to upgrade.

The only commercially available vice clamps seem to be from The Granite Fly as mentioned above.

The problem is, my vice is an API Spartan tying vice which uses a 5/16 rod shaft.

So, should I contact granite fly and ask for a custom size vice clamp?

I was thinking it might be better to have a custom made shaft out of standard 3/8" cold rolled steel rod from Home Depot. I figured I could search for someone to match the fitting from my current shaft along with tapping it and installing the tightening screw. Then I could use it with standard size accessories down the road or just order the standard base vice clamp from granite fly.

Also, what should I coat the stone with? If I put rubber feet on it, do I attach them first and then coat the bottom? Or do the feet get attached last?

Ard, you make it sound so simple. I have some basic carpenter skills, but no metal working experience and no experience with a lathe.

Do you think it would be easier or cheaper to search out someone to make a custom vice clamp (to the 5/16 shaft size) rather than dealing with shipping etc. from Granite Fly? How hard is it to find a local machinest?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had to go back to the original post to revisit what we're talking about.

I'm not sure this will answer things but here goes...……………..

If I wanted a steel base I'd go to Weld Air Alaska and ask for a 5X9X1/2" slab of steel and a Piece of 1/2 or 3/4" piece of round stock about 2" long.

Weld the 1/2" round stock to the slab - grind and smooth the bead - then drill the round stock to fit the vice shaft and then drill a 90* for a set screw. You'll need to tap the 90* hole so in hindsight you need to drill and tap prior to welding the round stock to the slab. Once you have a threaded set screw hole it's a matter of finding a set screw that suits.

For granite base I'd do the same - drill and thread a piece of round stock then using a masonry bit produce a seat in the slab of granite to fit the round stock that the vise shaft will seat in. That seat? I'd just put JB Weld in it and then seat the round stock vertically for the vise.

None or some of that may apply to what you're doing. Sorry if I have this confused...…..

Ard

castoff

Reaction score
Also noted your under base material needed .I glued some corrugated rubber drawer material to bottom. Nice padding and no scratching or slipping on table

CasualAngler

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for thier help,. I ordered a pedestal base from Cabela's, I'm also going to continue persue a making some adapters, once again thank you to all who replied

I tried to make my own pedestal base, but ended up buying one, too. It's nice being able to move the vise around, especially since I tie left handed! :p

Alan :)