Pliers

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
I did a search here and didn't find much, so I thought I'd get opinions on pliers.

I never really had a need for them (for fishing, that is) until the last few years when I started targeting northern pike. Hemostats don't always work well to dislodge the hook, even when barbless, and nippers don't cut the beading wire I use as a bite tippet. My question is, what is so good about some fishing pliers (Orvis, Abel, Hatch, others) to justify the ~$300 price tag?

I am not opposed to spending good money for good tools. Like most, I purchase the best quality that I can afford. But, there are quality corrosion resistant fishing pliers on the market, with replaceable tungsten carbide blades for the side cutters for ~$50. Saltwater bait fishermen use them all the time.

Can someone convince me that I should pay the $250 difference? What is the advantage? Thanks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a pair of Dr. Slick Pieces model fishing pliers for about 5 years now. They are decent and around 26 dollars or so. I have played the idea of a pair of Simms but just can't throw down that kind of bread for pliers. I have never lost my Dr. Skick's but am pretty sure something bad would happen to a pair of $150.00 fishing pliers............

Check eBay for Dr. Slick Pliers and see which might work best for you.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Thanks, Ard, for reminding me about Dr. Slick products. For some reason, Dr. Slick never comes to my mind when looking for gadgets and tools. The Typhoon pliers look like they might do what I need.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Are they Typhoon Barracuda? I saw a pair that were longer in the selection. I use the Pieces model for removing larg hooks from salmon and pike. I don't have many deep hooked but with Pike staying away from those teeth is always good.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
There are three I have used. Each one works well for pike.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/medi...594fd742a59f0b1ac9b87e1814/f/i/file_60_19.jpg

http://www.fishingsir.com/AMAZONPICS/ebay_1/Fishing_Accessories/FA/PJQGQHR03/PJQGQHR03 (1).jpg

http://www.boonebait.com/images/06327.jpg

The only reason you should pay $250 on a hook remover of any type is.....I'm sorry, I can't think of any reason. Look at it this way, you are wanting to buy a flippin' hook remover for pike. It's going to get slimed, bloody, and knocked around. Do you want to spend $250 on something that's going to take that kind of abuse? They are pliers for goodness sake. Don't get caught up in the BS of just because it has a huge brand name on it that it should cost $100's of dollars when the same thing can be found for so much less because it's meant to be practical. Not for pliers.

The three I posted work great without a big name on them.

Pliers shouldn't cost as much as a quality reel.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Dr Slicks are good. About anything stainless steel will get you by for many years. I keep cheapo needle nose piers in the boat and they need replaced every few years so they are false economy.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
But...but...Abel and Hatch pliers are shiny...and grasp things very well...and women will want you and men will want to be you when they see you on the river with a pair of them!

(We ALMOST made it through the winter without another of these threads)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, I have considered the high end pliers but the affordable's are still getting it done and I have not dropped them into deep water.

I had a Gerber multi tool Leatherman type tool with pliers and great cutters on them. Had is the key word in that sentence, they went overboard at the lake during the excitement of a decent evenings pike bite. I think it was 79.99.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
You are rabble rousing lol.
Who me?

To the OP, in all seriousness, those pliers will not add any functionality to justify the dramatic price increase compared to the several options already suggested above. Call them a status symbol purchase, artwork, or just a cool product to have/look at, they are what they are. With that said, if the money isn't an issue and you really like them, go for it! You won't be alone or they wouldn't make them. Lol.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Who me?

To the OP, in all seriousness, those pliers will not add any functionality to justify the dramatic price increase compared to the several options already suggested above. Call them a status symbol purchase, artwork, or just a cool product to have/look at, they are what they are. With that said, if the money isn't an issue and you really like them, go for it! You won't be alone or they wouldn't make them. Lol.
We agree most likely. Buy something that won't rust and need to be replaced soon. Anything more is just for fun. Now I return to the Dr Slick recommendation. They make stuff that is affordable and will last most if not all of you fishing career. We are just removing hooks from a fish. If you have been following along attentively they are not barbed hooks :)

tcorfey

Reaction score
For toothy fish in the salt around here I use the Rapala 7.5" stainless steel forceps, About 10 years old and 19.99. They have pliers on the end and serrated scissor cutting teeth further in. Work very well and come with a leash you can put around your wrist if needed.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use a pair of regular carbon steel, fine tipped needle nose pliers that you could buy in any hardware store.
.... For salt water !
They're of no certain brand and definably not fly fishing specific. Why would you need that ?
I keep them free of corrosion by rinsing them off with all my other saltwater tackle along with a liberal squirt of wd40.
They're kept in a homemade holster made of sheet foam along with my hook file.
Both pockets of this holster often get a squirt of 3in1 oil just to keep everything rust free
Been using the same ones for at least 20 years.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Riptide's method is a good way to keep any tool around a long time. I was a professional mechanic for many years and do care for my tools, but ............... somehow pliers end in the bottom of a boat, a damp tackle bag of whatever. Trust me, you can't get by with that with a $5 set of needle nose styled pliers. You'll spend an hour trying to make them work like they used to. With three fisherpeople in the family I ended up getting some stainless. Berkeley and Rapala have offered what I believe are stainless in the $10 range that will last many seasons.

dennyk

Reaction score
Dr Slick products are very good. What I have are pliers made by Loon, I believe the model is the Rogue they are stainless steel and are about 6 inches long. Covers every need I have encountered when removing hooks or bending down barbs. They also lock into place when clamped down on something. $20

Denny

pnc

Reaction score
I'm with , Riptide. Been using same carbon steel pliers for long long time. Made sheath with corrugated cardboard wrapped with duct tape. Few drops of oil on cardboard. No rust ! Hang around neck from old piece of fly line. I bend for fish & pliers are in line of sight.
Did try other pliers over years. Went back to old reliable & been using ever since being in Florida.
Aluminium pliers ..... the words don't belong together.

......... pc

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion and thoughts. As I said at the beginning, I am not opposed to paying good money for a really good tool that does its job better than anything else. And I have spent a lot of money on (non-fishing) tools that have saved me a lot of aggravation. But, as I expected, these high priced fishing pliers don't really do anything special.

My Leatherman Surge has a cutter for cutting braided wire that I use as a bite tippet. And they are long enough (sort of) to keep my hands away from northern pike teeth (most of the time). I think I will just stick with these pliers. Thanks.