Korkers Wraptr Wading Boots

brownbass

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the wrapter boots, and what type of sole configuration works best on slippery rocks.
I have the Darkhorse boots and they are great and the new construction of the Wrapters sound great. I have the Vibram souls with carbide studs and they work great. Trident has a video comparing most of the Korkers souls. Go to their site or YouTube to veiw it.

Bill

finisher

Reaction score
The wrapter boots are awesome! I just upgraded from my 5 year old metalheads. The fit and comfort is great. A huge improvement over other boots . My favorite soles for slippery rock bottoms is the studded felt. I also have the new aluminum bars, but I haven’t had the occasion to use them yet.

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought the Korkers Greenback boot yesterday as we are heading down to the Firehole tomorrow for three days. I’ve always been a big fan of felt, so I’m anxious to see how the rubber performs. Although I don’t recall the Firehole being as rocky as, say the Gallatin.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I figured I'd resurrect this thread, I'm looking at getting some new boots. I've been wearing the metalheads by korkers for 6 yrs now, and they are showing some pretty serious wear. I only use wading boots about 15-20 times a year, but I'm a big guy with bad knees and ankles and have had a few herniated discs over the years. You can imagine, I need some good boots. I like the Korkers, because I can trek in with the rubber soles, and switch to felt, or if I ever ventured to a place where felt was outlawed, I could just buy a different set of soles. The knock on Korkers has always been durability, at least from what I've heard. The Wraptrs seem to address a lot of that, but if I can get 6 yrs out of them, I'm satisfied. As of June, it looks like no one here had much experience with the Wraptr, how about now? I'm mostly interested in their new lacing system. My current ones have the Boa, which are okay, but the knob gets caught in vines and underbrush when I'm bushwacking and pops out. Also, I usually have to tighten it, walk a short distance and tighten it again in order to get a snug fit. Cool concept, but not as convenient as I first thought it would be.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I have an old pair of Korkers that I loved. The problem was that the felt on the soles were thin and wore out after a few seasons, but when I tried to buy new felt soles Korkers told me they no long make soles that fit my boot.

What I ended up doing was putting Rock Treads on my rubber soles. Aluminum studs work better than any other type, but still not as good as felt.

Randy

brownbass

Reaction score
I have had a while to fish my Koeker Darkhorse boots and The only complaint I have is the Vibram/carbide soles don't fit as well as I would like. I get some small gravel between the boot and sole. They have never come off so it's just an annoyance. I love the BOA system. You do have to retighten them after a short walk but I believe that is normal. After retightening I have no problem. I do think that if given the chance I would go with the aluminum bar system. The carbide works but I believe the aluminum is better. The boots are comfortable and are holding up well.

Bill

timd

Reaction score
I have had the Korker Bombers for the past 2 years and love them. They are the predecessor to the Wraptr and have the same lacing system. The main reason I got them was because of the lacing system and the fact that the Boa system didn’t allow me enough adjustment for my narrow ankles and instep. They are really easy to adjust with the roller type lace system and very comfortable. The Wraptr look like a really well built boot. I regularly change soles between Vibram with studs and felt, very easy. Check out the video on their web site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

clsmith131

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair today, along with a set of the triple threat soles w/ aluminum bars. I was going to get the hexagonal disc and carbide kits to experiment a little, but I saw my total in my online cart and reeled myself back in. These boots are on back order right now, so I had to search far and wide to find a pair in stock. The only downside is that they are shipping from OR and I live GA. I will give my impressions after I give them a good trial.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After dissing on Korkers for a while because I saw them break down so frequently I was convinced to give them a try. All companies have an infancy and I think Korkers has worked through their problems. I have the Darkhorse/Boa and absolutely love them. I fish and hike very hard and they have stood the test of time and abuse. I have now bought several pair for mi familia as well. Just got a new set of felts for mine and should be in this pair for another 2-3 years.

The Boa has quickly become a favorite of mine on wading boots. I have not had a problem with them at all and I hike and fish in a lot of rough spots.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Finished my second year with the Greenbacks. I had to buy new soles since the felt wore down too much. This time around I went with felt and studs and really like them. The ankle support is getting softer but I can lace up tighter than when the boots were new. Knock on wood, looking forward to another season.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I now have a couple of sessions on the wraptr. So far I have only used the triple threat bar sole, but I've used the Korkers felt on my old boots enough to know they work well. My first impressions of the Wraptr w/ triple threat bar: The boot is very rigid, also very heavy. The soles definitely add weight to the boot, but the boot itself is still pretty dang heavy. I did not expect them to be comfortable as they had so little flex, but to my surprise, they actually were. The lacing system worked much better than the boa on my old boots and they stayed very secure on my feet. The aluminum bars work better than I expected, but the traction is somewhat directional. Once I learned to trust them I think the grip is as good or better on rocks, and many times better on dirt than felt. They did get uncomfortable walking down the road. The bottoms of my feet felt a little bruised after a mile or so. This was asphalt, on the dirt road I didn't notice any discomfort. But this is the beauty of Korkers, I can swap the soles if I know I have a trek down a road. All and all, I like the boots, but would probably rather have a lighter boot with the same lacing system. Considering I bought the boot for durability and longevity, it makes sense that it weighs more.

huronfly

Reaction score
I'm done buying korkers boots. The interchangeable soles seem like a good idea, but this past fall alone I lost the soles off of two boots, creating some dangerous wading conditions for me.

First pair, the Whitehorse boots, only used for about 6 months and the nub that attaches the sole on the back of the boot fell out, causing me to lose a nice brand new studded sole and I ended up slipping on some rocks and smashed my shin on a boulder. :mad:

Next, the k5 bomber, used maybe 1 month and same thing happened, the nub came loose on the heel and(another) new sole comes detached and leaves me stranded with no tread. Luckily I was in a sandy area this time... I ended up fixing the nub with some epoxy, but it's still a major design flaw and dangerous IMO.

If it weren't for these flaws I would love the boots, they are very comfortable and light. But these soles are too big of a problem for me to continue using them. It's pretty bad if the tread on the soles is outliving the boot itself...