Nets

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have never used a net (I just wet my hands and try to unhook the fish still in the water without too much handling) but I think I might get one. I see different kinds of materials like fabric mesh and rubber for the net itself, wood or aluminum for the frame/handle. Any strong recommendations? I was poking around in the local Sierra Trading Post and they have these for $25:

William Joseph | HOOKNET

Any familiarity with this net (or this company)?

ejsell

Reaction score
I have a small mesh trout net and a large rubber net for steelhead. Hands down the rubber net is a lot nicer. I typically try to keep my fish wet in the net while unhooking them. The rubber net keeps it's shape better and the fish don't get entangled in it. Also sucks trying to pull your hook out of a mesh net when it gets caught. They usually pop right out of the rubber one if they get caught at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

big flounder

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a good net as well and am still trying to decide between the Fishpond Nomad nets (fishpondusa.com), Brodin (brodindirect.com) or Blue Ribbon nets (blueribbonnets.net). Those are just what I've come across thus far and I know there are others so I'm still looking.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
While I can't tell you what to buy or what you'll like I can say what I use myself. I think that there are a total of 7 nets here ranging from a small & vintage Brodin C&R net with cloth mesh netting up to rubber salmon nets that I could scoop you from the water with.

The 2 that see the most use when I'm fishing alone are the Brodin that I found hanging in trees overhanging Spring Creek back in 1995 after a high water event and a Nomad Boat net.

Trout3_zps9a46ecd5.jpg

The Brodin is my small stream small fish favorite due to its compact size and light weight. I think it has a 13 X 6 hoop or something like that and is not a deep net.

7_zpsy1z5diyt.jpg

The boat net has a much larger hoop and can handle almost anything you catch other than Kings, I use it for trout and steelhead where and when I expect them to be large. The net comes in a short handle version also.

I have the Nomad Guide Net too but the hoop is only 18 X 13 I think and it proved to be a challenge to get large trout into that one. If you fish open areas and can figure out how to carry the long handle nets they are nice whether you're alone or netting for someone else.

Regardless of the net type or maker the netting of fish other than those played to a point of utter surrender can be a tricky business so I recommend as large of a hoop as you can handle. Small is cool on creeks of the same size but once you venture into territory where you may get hooked into 2 foot fish then bigger is better. I feel the same way about rod and line weights as well. I've been ask, "How can you enjoy catching a trout or grayling using a 13'6" eight weight rod"? The answer goes like the net philosophy, I can net small fish all day easy with a big net, I can reel in small fish all day easily with a big rod. When the moment of truth comes and I actually have a trout that is 28 to 30 inches hooked it's really a good feeling to handle the situation with the right equipment.

Rubber net bags seem to be very fish friendly and you'll find that after a couple years your "Ghost Bag" isn't so ghostly so don't pay extra for that feature. Even when they are still laden with New Net Smell and as ghostly as they were in the store those fish see em coming buddy ;)

Hey! Somebody get the net!

npike

Reaction score
The Brodin Phantom nets are nice, in various sizes. Mine, the Tailwater, has a 20" opening, and was worth the 90 or so bucks.

z.jpg

IMG_0098.JPG

PASTERCASTER

Reaction score
Nice one NPIKE, about a perfect stream size. The clear net is silicone??? That appears to be very fish friendly for C&R. Durability??? I would be embarrassed to post a pic of my old aluminum frame/green nylon mesh 12x12ish round loop net. Fish went bat poop crazy if they saw that coming. While fly fishing was fun, it wasn't my #1 hobby, so $ usually went to the other ones.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I happened to be in town today and I dropped into the LL Bean store just to take a look. They had a couple of mesh nets (I think their own brand) and a Brodin rubber net. The rubber one seems like a very nice piece of equipment, and I will probably go that route as soon as I get accustomed to the idea of paying $125 for a net. Until then I will continue to use my hand.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
For many years I used a Measure net, and once I understood the value of having a rubber mesh, I switched to a Measure net with a rubber basket. Tthey aren't pretty, but they are durable aluminum, have a foam handle so it floats, and they run about $40-$50. Lost my medium one last year, so I picked up a Fishpond Nomad this spring.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
For many years I used a Measure net, and once I understood the value of having a rubber mesh, I switched to a Measure net with a rubber basket. Tthey aren't pretty, but they are durable aluminum, have a foam handle so it floats, and they run about $40-$50. Lost my medium one last year, so I picked up a Fishpond Nomad this spring.
I had looked at the Measurenet online, and though it says "rubber" the pictures all look like a fine mesh, rather than the appearance of the rubber bags of some of the other nets I have seen. I would like to see one in real life, but I don't think anyone around here sells them. If it avoids the hook-tangling issue I will probably get one of those.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I bought a Brodin 3 years ago on closeout for 55.00 from MRFC. As Ard indicated the ghost netting is gradually becoming opaque so don't buy into the invisible bull. I also have a mid length Fishpond that's used both wading and in a boat. It was rather expensive. I think Fishpond is the better of the two as it is lighter.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have four nets in my collection. Two are mesh, aluminum frame cheapies and the other two are Borodin “ghost nets”. My fist Borodin bought back in the early 70’s had a mesh bag so I called Chris Brodin and he sent me a replacement silicone replacement which works well. Holds it’s shape and makes it easy to C&R. I recently purchased a second from Brodin and quality is exceptional as is my first one. If price is a concern they have a range of prices as well as sizes for every pocket book! IMHO, mesh is a thing of the past. :frogdance

philip43

Reaction score
I had an old landing net that had a knotted bag on it. I ordered a Ghost Vinyl Replacement net. I lightly sanded the hoop, varnished it (used some leftover varnish) then I put the replacement net on it. Wow, it came out great. The folks at jahnsnetcraft.com have a video on their site as well as the supplies you need for the job. Adios Philip

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the Rising Brookie net.

But I also put a clear bag on my grandfather-in-law’s old Ed Cumings net and refinished it. The fish and grampy’s ghost dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey_boots

Reaction score
It is small rubber mesh. I have both types - the Measure Net and the larger more typical rubber net (clear, large mesh). I carry the Measure Net for almost all my trout excursions. No tangling issues, especially if you fish barbless. Excellent net for the money. I got the 20" and it was less than $35.

el jefe

Reaction score
I have purchased two things that often raise the hackles (gratuitous fly fishing pun alert!) of some: Abel nippers, and a Fishpond Nomad net. Both were pricey, but I have never regretted either purchase, both actually marking some of my better expenditures at this endeavor.

I do have another with a big hoop and the ghost netting, that cost about $50. Has a metal frame. It's a good net, but the handle is very short compared to the hoop size of the net, and so it keeps flipping out of my waist belt, and I keep losing it. That's what prompted me to get the Fishpond with the longer handle. That net is so light, and it's reach so great, that it has been worth every penny when chasing large tailwater Rainbows. If you don't need a big hoop or long reach, there are a lot of choices out there that aren't so expensive.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I ended up buying a "ghost net" from Big Y Fly for $35 (and of course a few small items to bring the total over $40 for the free shipping). I figured I would see if I actually use a net before splurging on a fancy one. This one I think will work OK, the wood finish isn't heirloom quality but the rubber bag seems sturdy enough. The hardware (little spring-clip thingy that was attached to a swivel in the handle) was broken in the box, and it was clearly made from cheap metal, so I replaced it with hardware I had lying around. Now I have to figure out how to make some kind of holster to carry it in.

Bigfly

Reaction score
imagejpeg_0 (2) by James Landis, on Flickr

My favorite net is the Nomad El Heffe 22" hoop....so we don't have to fold them!
I like the clear bag, it seems to make fish slightly more relaxed......
Tired of broken wooden nets?
Buy one Nomad net and be done with it....basically unbreakable, floats, and camo....

Jim

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
+ for a Brodin....a bit heavy but the best net I've ever had....
you can even put two browns or two rainbows inside as you like:D:D or a .... beautiful carp....:D
dscn3021.jpg
DSCF0242.jpg
s.jpg

acorad

Reaction score
I just bought a cheapie aluminum handle net to replace a measure net. I found that the mesh on the measure net was too fine; it created so much drag in the water that it became way too un-wieldy to use in flows of the rivers I fish.

Andy