Wader recommendations

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for waders the past couple of weeks. Here are a few I've been looking at:

Frogg Toggs® Men's Hellbender™ II Stockingfoot Chest Waders https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...ens-hellbender-ii-sf-wdr/2605699.uts?slotId=7

Men's Breathable Emerger Waders with Super Seam Technology, Stocking-Foot Invalid URL

Frogg Toggs® Men's Amphib™ Neoprene Cleated Bootfoot Waders https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...mens-amphib-neo-cltd-wdr/2601435.uts?slotId=9

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm trying not to break the bank but I also don't want to get a terrible pair. Also, does everyone prefer to get the stocking foot waders and then buy wading boots or get waders that are already built in? Are there pros and cons to both?

Thanks!

jayr

Reaction score
the first thing I would ask you is how often do you plan on wearing waders? The longer you wear them, the more I would pay for a really good pair with a very good warranty.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
the first thing I would ask you is how often do you plan on wearing waders? The longer you wear them, the more I would pay for a really good pair with a very good warranty.
I guess that's tough for me to say because I'm just starting but I'd say probably only once a week and since I live in New England it'd probably be only for about 5-6 months. Once a week may be slightly on the high side too.

brownbass

Reaction score
I would recommend the Redington Sonic Pro stocking foot waders and the Korkers Darkhorse or similar boots. My Sonic Pros are four years old now and I just bought the Korkers with boa. The Redingtons have held up well except for my clumsiness that badly ripped them. Sent them back and had them repaired and returned in less than two weeks. Simms boots were OK but the soles wore out in three years. I am really liking the Korkers and for the difference you can, at this time get their top of the line boots with three sets of soles instead of the standard two. Look for deals on the Redington and you can find Korkers marked down as well.

Bill

jayr

Reaction score
I guess that's tough for me to say because I'm just starting but I'd say probably only once a week and since I live in New England it'd probably be only for about 5-6 months. Once a week may be slightly on the high side too.

One other thing to consider is your body type. If you have a less than common build, short inseam, tall inseam, large foot, small foot, etc., some companies offer better and more options to fit you. There’s nothing worse than trying to make a less than ideal pair of waders fit you.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
One other thing to consider is your body type. If you have a less than common build, short inseam, tall inseam, large foot, small foot, etc., some companies offer better and more options to fit you. There’s nothing worse than trying to make a less than ideal pair of waders fit you.
Yeah, I really would like to try some on before I buy but I really only have Cabelas and LL Bean close to me. Went to my local fly shop and they have a bunch of boots but no waders that I saw. I'm looking at these right now per brownbass recommendation and they appear to have a good variety of sizes which is good New Redington(R) Sonic Pro™ Chest Waders | WaderUSA.com

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I have had so many types of wader over the years and most of them have been at least serviceable.

I am sure that many of the brands recommended are excellent, but I believe the Cabela’s breathable stocking foot waders are the best bang for the buck. I have never had a problem with them, They are comfortable and they come in a wide range of sizes which is important to me as a fairly large guy with big feet.

For serious wading or if you have to walk very far, the boot foot waders just don’t provide the support that I want/need. I understand that LL Bean also has good waders, but have no personal experience with them.

If you have a Cabela’s store near you then it would be easy to get a pretty near perfect fit. but when trying them on, make sure that you really flex your knees and simulate taking some high steps. What seems to be a perfect fit may be too confining when stepping over logs or fences or climbing up a stream bank.

Also, make sure the suspenders have enough extra length to allow for extra layers in cold weather.

Don

myt1

Reaction score
I don't believe Cabela's offers any type of repair service for their waders, either covered by a warranty or for a fee.

lake flyer

Reaction score
I bought the LL Bean Bootfoot waders last fall and used them for steelhead this past winter and am very happy with them so far. No leaks and kept my feet warm all winter. They are not a very heavy breathable material so might not be as durable as my Simms G3's but i am planning on using the Bean's for summer use from now on. Lightweight and a good boot makes them fast and easy to get on and off. I hadn't owned boot foots in quite a while (over twenty years) but find myself reaching for them rather than my stocking foots. And the price was under $200 when they had a 25% off sale last fall.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Hey guys, so still researching a bit into waders and I had another thought/question that came up. Do most people prefer to have the neoprene style where you have to buy boots or do people prefer to have the boots built in? Are there pros/cons to the different types? What has worked best for you?

Thanks!

dennyk

Reaction score
Linerick, if you go with the stocking foot waders, get boots that are 2 sizes larger then your shoe size. They will be much more comfortable and allow for heavier socks when needed.

Denny

brownbass

Reaction score
Hey guys, so still researching a bit into waders and I had another thought/question that came up. Do most people prefer to have the neoprene style where you have to buy boots or do people prefer to have the boots built in? Are there pros/cons to the different types? What has worked best for you?

Thanks!
When I duck hunted I used a boot foot wader and used them extensively for hunting and some fishing but they didn't really fit as well as I would have liked because I have a half-size foot that is very wide, like EEE wide. I believe that you will be better served with stocking foot waders.

Bill

dillon

Reaction score
Boot foot waders will keep feet warmer in cold weather. West coast steelhead guides like them in the winter, because they are rowing a boat and standing around a lot. However, they are a bit clunky and so wading boots are better for walking.

You get what you pay for with waders. The expensive ones have a warranty and great customer service. The initial investment is high, but a company lie Patagonia or Simms will take care of you. The cheap waders are fine but are throwaways when they leak. Leaks in the neoprene booties can be next to impossible to repair.

All waders are guaranteed to leak, in time. So, it's like, pay me now, or pay me later...

I've had waders that have not leaked for several seasons and some that leaked the first time out and it didn't have anything to do with what I paid for them. I'm currently on something like my tenth pair of Patagonia's but only paid full price for the first pair. I've got a couple pairs of lesser expensive Simms for back ups and loaners.