Socks with wading shoes?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Do most of you guys wear neoprene socks if you're wearing wading shoes (not boots) or do you usually just go without socks?

Thanks - cheers!

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
I wear light weight Merino wool blend socks. I never liked neoprene socks very much, but that's simply my preference. Light weight Merino wool blend socks are comfortable, give a little warmth, and dry quickly. Plus they are easier to get on and off than neoprene - and stink less too!

LimerickShaw

Reaction score

dillon

Reaction score
Essentially just water shoes/sandals for wet wading. Stuff like this Merrell Tetrex Crest Wrap at Zappos.com or this Amazon.com | Keen Men's Newport H2 Sandal, Black, 11 M US | Sport Sandals & Slides

I have been looking at waders/boots for quite awhile now but as the summer starts to heat up I figured I likely could get away with wet wading until fall which will give me some more time to save up for waders/boots.
I wear thin neoprene socks for protection against sand, gravel and anything else that might injure my tootsies...

flav

Reaction score
Like dillon said, you really have to wear something, either neoprene or socks to guard against the sand and gravel that will get in. Even then I bet the soles won't grip the rocks very well and you'll be lucky if you don't end up taking a dunking. I had felt bottomed sandals once, what a nightmare that was even with socks. For wet wading I use wading boots with neoprene booties or wool socks.

plecain

Reaction score
Also merino socks. I tried the neoprene socks and didn't like them.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I don't with my keens. I wear regular socks with my wading boots, because I hate the neoprene ones, and the boots without long socks will chafe my shins. When I wade with the Keens (Newport II, i think) they fill up with sand which can be pretty uncomfortable.

kevind62

Reaction score
Any type of sock is needed regardless if wool, cotton, neoprene, ect. It will make your insoles last longer. Your bare feet will grab and pull on the insoles tearing them loose and start wearing on the inner part of your shoes. The socks allow for slippage preventing this.

smoke33

Reaction score
I tried wading with my Keens and wasn’t a fan. Switched to gym shoes years ago as my feet felt more protected. I plan on getting wading boots in the future. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend a Sandler type shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I tried wading with my Keens and wasn’t a fan. Switched to gym shoes years ago as my feet felt more protected. I plan on getting wading boots in the future. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend a Sandler type shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely plan on getting a wading boot at some point in the near future when I buy waders but I am just trying to find a serviceable/affordable option in the meantime since I feel like wet wading season is upon us. I suppose I could always buy wading boots like Korkers now and then just get waders later.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
If you wet wade definitely wear neoprene . If you get keens and fish anything but pea gravel or sand bottoms put cleats in them . They are by far the worst wading shoes / sandals for wet rock I have ever had . So bad that I don't wear them anymore , just my Korkers .

plecain

Reaction score
I didn't mention these because I haven't used them yet - Simms RipRap felt.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/riprap-shoe-felt-s17

The original RipRap shoe had a rubber bottom that was one of the better rubber-bottomed shoes IMHO. The sole wouldn't hold cleats, though.

This new version has rubber edges on the sole and a felt center. It also accepts cleats. I put studs in the pair I got for my birthday and will try them next week.

I'll wear them over merino wool socks. Neoprene isn't for me, but that's just a preference.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Has anyone used these? Intruder Boot - Simms Fishing Products I really like the look and appeal of them. Obviously I know I couldn't wear them with waders which is the downside because then I'm investing a significant amount more money in my setup than just getting Keens/RipRaps and then buying waders and regular wading boots.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
I definitely plan on getting a wading boot at some point in the near future when I buy waders but I am just trying to find a serviceable/affordable option in the meantime since I feel like wet wading season is upon us. I suppose I could always buy wading boots like Korkers now and then just get waders later.
Here's an idea that works for me (I usually don't like recommending specific brands because everyone's taste is different):

I use a pair of these with my waders and also with Merino wool socks when wet wading and when canoeing (ideally fly fishing and canoeing together!)

Quetico Trekker – ChotaOutdoors

I've had the same pair for many years of hard use and they have held up great. They are designed to be used as both wading boots and portaging boots when canoeing. There is a removable insole for when you wear them with waders. Use the removable insole when wearing with socks. Good ankle support and a good boot for water use.

When I need a new pair in another year or two I will probably go with these:

CANEY FORK WADING BOOT – ChotaOutdoors

Seems to be an upgraded model of the pair I have now.

wthorpe

Reaction score
i buy wading boots to fit over my wader booties made of neoprene, which results typically in boots being a size bigger than my street shoes. i then use neoprene booties when wet wading with the same boots, and the neoprene booties help ensure a similar fit. If i try to wear my wading boots with normal hiking socks the boots are at lesat a half size too big. when i refer to neoprene booties i mean those neoprene sock like things you put on your feet between foot and boot--i am guessing that is waht others mean when they refer to neoprene socks -- i just never heard them called that. ...BUT, HAH! I now see that an authority no less than Simms calls them socks; live and learn: Neoprene Wading Socks - Simms Fishing Products. The older i get the less i seem to know.