Used Wading Boot Advice

CheeseburgerFly

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Random question, but has anyone ever had luck picking up a pair of used wading boots? Someone gave me some extra soles for the Korker omnitrax system so that I can borrow a pair of korkers for an upcoming trip. The reason I am asking is because I have enough waders, but the one state I vacation in does not allow for felt soles, so was just curious if anyone ever had luck going the second hand route on wading boots they use a few times a year. Just trying to save a few bucks where I can.

Thanks in Advance

Akflyguy

Reaction score
I haven't personally ever bought any used but wouldn't have a problem with it. Probably 10x cleaner than anyone's sneakers haha. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Two things: What are the uppers made of and ditto the bottoms. You can't stop the uppers from soaking up water/ditto the bottoms. Sooooo. If weather permits just stuff them with old news paper, set them in the sun or in an oven set on its lowest setting.

Akflyguy

Reaction score
Two things: What are the uppers made of and ditto the bottoms. You can't stop the uppers from soaking up water/ditto the bottoms. Sooooo. If weather permits just stuff them with old news paper, set them in the sun or in an oven set on its lowest setting.
I think what he was trying to say is that where he fishes on vacation (I'm assuming Alaska) felt sole boots are banned therefore he is looking for opinions on buying used boots. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what I gathered from it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MarsB

Reaction score
Why not? There has never been a bare foot (or even a traditional sock) in them, if that's what you are worried about. Can't get more sanitary than 4mm of neoprene between the foot and the boot! I say go for it.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, Cbf. I bought a 2nd hand pair of Simms leather wading boots around ten years ago. The heel lining had torn but the shoe's stitching was all good. I used them regularly for several seasons so all in all a good deal. I still have them as spares, in fact. I think the trick was to buy a quality brand as other boots I've had since have all split or the sole has detached over one busy season.

However, in your case I think much depends on the nature of riverbed you're going to be wading. As you're only going to be using them occasionally then you might consider buying a pair of cheap walking boots and drilling a few vent holes around the arches. We flyfishers always get stiffed on 'fly-dedicated' tackle prices but in this case all you need is a pair of synthetic boots (rot-proof) with a bit of tread into which you can screw some wading studs if the terrain suits them. If the terrain is boulderous you might go for a steel toe-capped work boot for greater protection (but more weight).

Take some waterproof superglue with you regardless of what you buy. Soles can detach at any time, even from pricey wading boots if they happen to have been poorly made.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Why not? There has never been a bare foot (or even a traditional sock) in them, if that's what you are worried about. Can't get more sanitary than 4mm of neoprene between the foot and the boot! I say go for it.
Not quite 'bare foot' but close. Knee high pure silk socks (darned expensive!) then a heavy wool sock. Add a proper fitting boot and good to go. Boots are the one thing I'll never 'mail order' as 'proper fit' is a priority.

Problem with all foot ware is there is no real standard as to what's a size 'is.'

fae

clsmith131

Reaction score
I wear Korkers too, and have had a good experience with them after 5 yrs or so. However, mine don't get as much use as some. I have heard that they are not very durable, and have seen where there are some seams giving way here and there on mine, and the outer layer of the uppers have worn away where the boot flexes at my ankles. I have also heard of others losing their soles during a float trip and having the BOA closure system break. As I said, my boots have done the job for me, but if I were looking at second-hand, I would want to make sure to look at the seams, slots where the soles lock into place, and the BOA system if it has one.

For what it's worth, my boots came with the rubber soles and the felt. I never wear the rubber in the water, they just don't grip where I fish, so I only use them on the hike in, if I use them at all. I am interested in the aluminum bar soles, but they are $100, so I'll most likely just buy another pair of boots instead.

fredaevans

Reaction score
I wear Korkers too, and have had a good experience with them after 5 yrs or so. However, mine don't get as much use as some. I have heard that they are not very durable, and have seen where there are some seams giving way here and there on mine, and the outer layer of the uppers have worn away where the boot flexes at my ankles. I have also heard of others losing their soles during a float trip and having the BOA closure system break. As I said, my boots have done the job for me, but if I were looking at second-hand, I would want to make sure to look at the seams, slots where the soles lock into place, and the BOA system if it has one.

For what it's worth, my boots came with the rubber soles and the felt. I never wear the rubber in the water, they just don't grip where I fish, so I only use them on the hike in, if I use them at all. I am interested in the aluminum bar soles, but they are $100, so I'll most likely just buy another pair of boots instead.
If you can find them Alli Bars are the way to go ... that soft metal just grabs a river bottom. Back in the day there was a product called 'Stream Cleats' that were a 'over shoe' sort of thing.

You just slipped them on over your regular boots. They grabbed like heck with that soft Allie zig-zaged set of bars on the bottom. Bars were (about) a half inch deep so they lasted a heck of a long time.

Where they really shined was in a wood drift boat as you could take them off and just have felt on the wood boat bottom.

fae

CheeseburgerFly

Reaction score
Thanks folks! I was less afraid of sanitary conditions but more concerned of conditions they could be in. It sounds like the biggest risk is their sizing. Really appreciate all of the input.

m3moser

Reaction score
Older Korkers I found to run a bit narrow. The newer ones with the Omnitrax inserts seem to be wider and a better fit for my feet. In a place like Alaska having soles that you can go from vibram soles (in a boat) to carbide or trax soles for wading is a real plus.