Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need a good 9 wt. Saltwater Line

1. Default Need a good 9 wt. Saltwater Line

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a good 9 wt. saltwater line. I'll be fishing in southern california for bass, bonito, barracuda and possibly an occasional steelhead trip if I ever make it farther north. Cost effective is always good but I'm not sure how possible it is to get a good line for cheap...Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Need a good 9 wt. Saltwater Line

Hi mireland,

You are going to have a problem trying to get a fly line that is good for Saltwater and Steelhead. Most Steelhead lines are designed for cold water and don't work well in tropical waters. The Steelhead line usually has a longer taper than a Saltwater line.

The same can be said for the Saltwater line. They are designed to work in the Tropics and don't make a great cold water fly line. I like the Cortland Tropic Plus. It works very well for Saltwater. There are some newer Saltwater lines out there that I have no experience with. They may work well. The new SA Sharkskin Saltwater Taper is one of the new lines available for Saltwater. Saltwater fishing is about distance and high line speed. The Sharkskin line may be a very good choice but I have not used one.

Frank

3. Default Re: Need a good 9 wt. Saltwater Line

I would go with a new Cabela's line, over a discontinued close-out.

Randy