Sub $100 wading boot recommendations?

timkz

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a 35 year hiatus and looking for rubber soled wading boot for around $100 or less. I will primarily be fishing the Yellow Breeches in PA and the Big Gunpowder Falls in MD. Cold and slippery conditions most of the time. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

flytie09

Reaction score
The Simms Headwater boots if you can find sale or close out are a great boot. Rugged, fit well and will last. Look for discontinued models for best deals. Combine with warranty and you can’t complain.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My fishin' partner wears Frog Togs. They are seriously ugly but he's had them for a few years now,
Personally, I've been getting my waders and boots from Cabela's for close to 30 years
Never any complaint.
The boots that I have now..... they don't make any more.
That's how long they've lasted

brownbass

Reaction score
I have a pair of freestones that are very comfortable. They go for a little over a hundred bucks. Shop around the discount sites like Avidmax and Sierra Trading Post for deals on my Freestones. I also have a pair of Korkers I like. If you're going to be fishing in slippery waters you will need to add studs to the souls.

Bill

skunkedalot

Reaction score
depending if you can use felt where you live- the cabelas neoprene boots(40 bucks) work for me.
if you wait- they are usually offered at discount
i picked up a pair for 20 bucks in their bargin bin.
dicks sporting goods also carries boots at great prices.
good luck

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I prefer my Simms but the Cabela's I and the family have owned seem like a good value and last for years. Around Thanksgiving they are usually on sale as much as 50% off., so well under your budget. Cheap enough to use a few years until you upgrade if you decide to later.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
The Redingtons. They have tall treads and a good pattern unlike the current cabelas boot. Easy to hike in. take studs too. full sole support under the boot unlike the caddis. cloth pulls to aid in wet boot entry. Very light. I hate the "better" heavy boots. I'd rather buy a second light pair if need be. Everywhere seems to be outlawing felts. Felt is the best but rubber bottoms are here to stay so now my wading staff is ever present.

tex68w

Reaction score
PM sent OP. I have a new never worn pair of Simms Flats boots I'll make you a great deal on if they are your size.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I'll suggest the Orvis Encounter Boot.

16F0L5SF.jpg

Rubber Soles are $119, felt are $98 but my local Orvis often has 20% off deals.

They are ugly as sin and on the heavy side but otherwise decent boots. I've had mine for two years now and I usually get out once a week and they've held up. I did have to replace the laces this summer but Orvis did it for free when I brought my waders in to be fixed.

dennyk

Reaction score
In the past I have had good luck with the Cabela's boots. They offer options as far as the soles go. If a problem does arise after use they are pretty good at returns/exchanges.

Denny

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Sometimes you get what you pay for. I bought a pair of wading boots for less than a hundred, and I was never happy with them. I spend so much time in my boots that I ended up buying a better and more expensive pair that I love.

Wading safely is extremely important. Unless you can pick up a discontinued pair, I would reconsider and spend the extra bucks. I think in the long run you will be glad you did. My two cents,

Randy

myt1

Reaction score
I haven't read all the post yet, so I'm sorry if this has already been stated.

Check Sierra Trading Post, you can get some great deals if they have your size, including brands like Korkers.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
For me, the most important aspect of fly fishing is staying safe. I've found that steel studs don't work well. Aluminum, however, is a different story. It grips as well or even better than felt.

If I had to choose, I would spend more money on wading boots and less on a fly rod - fly rod technology was improved so much.

When I was wading with my inexpensive boots I was conscious of every step I took. I can't imagine having to hike with them on.

Randy

myt1

Reaction score
For me, the most important aspect of fly fishing is staying safe. I've found that steel studs don't work well. Aluminum, however, is a different story. It grips as well or even better than felt.

If I had to choose, I would spend more money on wading boots and less on a fly rod - fly rod technology was improved so much.

When I was wading with my inexpensive boots I was conscious of every step I took. I can't imagine having to hike with them on.

Randy
I agree.

I would add that a wading staff is hugely important addition to an angler's armamentarium.

A wading staff lets you fish more territory because you can move faster and go places you can't go without them.

timkz

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I ended up getting a pair or Redington Skagit River wading boots and Goat Head Sole Spikes for when it gets slippery. Also, thanks to myt1 for suggesting a wading staff too. That is a very good suggestion! Any recommendations on a wading staff?

randyflycaster

Reaction score
All wading staffs are good as long as you use them. If you live near a ski shop you might be able to get a single ski pole very cheap. I personally don't like a folding staff because I might have a tendency not to use it. I've taken a few falls when I didn't use my wading stick, even though I had it with me.

With that said, a wading stick at times, does get into the way. But that certainly beats falling in a river.

Randy